Anyone out there ??

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Anyone out there ??

Postby jro on May 30th, 2009, 10:58 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I went to college near San Francisco and love that area. I'm glad to here about the memorial for our veterans. I was just in Santa Monica but didn't see it. It is something that is hard to look at but important to remember. My brother spent a year in Iraq and I am forever grateful that he returned safely.

jro
jro
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on May 31st, 2009, 12:50 am

They have those memorials in a lot of the beach areas around here. Santa Barbara has a big crosses-on-the-beach display as well.

The reason it seems like SF has so many homeless people is because SF is a notoriously liberal and homeless-friendly city. They have just as many homeless people in every other large American city, but in other cities you won't notice because they're not allowed to linger in public areas and streets like they are in SF. SF has always been pretty tolerant when it comes to things like street people and street peddlers, etc. So that's why it seemed like there were more of them there.

Glad you had fun on your trip. Sorry I forgot to send my Las Vegas tips. It's just as well, though. I have always thought that Las Vegas sort of sucks. Glad to see it wasn't your scene as well. Hope you at least made it over to the M&M Museum!
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on May 31st, 2009, 12:52 am

Also if you thought our cost of living was cheap, you should go to the Midwest. California has one of the highest costs of living of any state in the U.S.! If you were to go inland, to places like Kansas or Iowa, your eyes would pop out of your head. The houses prices and rents are probably 3 or 4 times higher in San Francisco than almost anywhere else in the country.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on May 31st, 2009, 10:15 am

Should have gone to Detroit and bought one of those $8000 houses. They're pretty sweet, and your only neighbours would be feral cats, raccoons and gangsters. Pretty sweet. 8)

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on May 31st, 2009, 5:07 pm

hi

$8,000 Basso no wonder the only neighbours are feral cats and gangsters!. :)
I spoke to a taxi driver in las vegas and he had just purchased a house from the Bank for
$170,00 he said it was three bedrooms pool etc. You would never hear of such a thing here not
even in the middle of a recession.
Are you guys over there feeling this recession much?? being a tourist in your country can't say I really got
a feel for how the people are coping. Australia doesn't seem to be suffering that badly although a few
big companies have shut down. The interest rates are the lowest they have been in 30 years and alot
of young people are purchasing homes, the trouble with that is they may get caught when the rates
increase. The government is handing them $14,000 first home owners gift, and if its a new house its
$21,000-. We have also had the government hand out stimulus packages in the way of cash.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on May 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm

Yeah 170k for a 3 bedroom in Vegas sounds about right. In San Francisco that would be closer to 800k. Although the catch with living in Las Vegas is that it's about 120 degrees every day in the summer. Even a pool can't really make up for that.

Most people here have been hit by the recession pretty hard. Most of it comes in the form of real estate deprecation. So many people put second and third mortgages on houses they really couldn't afford, and when the value of the houses all came down, everyone got screwed. So that's where the big hit came in for most Americans. Lots of people lost their houses and then combined with so many layoffs and high gas prices, it's just bad for everyone all around.

That being said, not everyone here has been hit hard by it. Because the interest rates are so low in America right now (currently 0.5% on our loan, whereas it was 6.0% two years ago), we are currently paying a $45 monthly mortgage on our 3 bedroom house. Shhh, don't tell. Here's a secret they don't report in the news... the recession has actually been phenomenally good for some people. People who were never in debt really haven't felt it that much.

And yes you do not want to live in Detroit.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on May 31st, 2009, 6:43 pm

Most of it comes in the form of real estate deprecation.

Yeah, I heard that about you Americans, feeling the need to criticize real estate. Who knew that would affect the economy and all those mortgages would be forfeit? Before it was just a few people though, and then BOOM, suddenly everyone's saying "real estate sucks, real estate bites budgie po-op." I hope lessons have been learned over this one, because real estate is sensitive, and there is no reason to be coming on down it.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on May 31st, 2009, 9:03 pm

Sorry, nice catch. Effing grammar nazi. :D

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Real estate can bl0w me.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on June 1st, 2009, 12:19 am

those interest rates are LOW, we are at our lowest in 30 years and I'm paying just over 5% to me thats amazing when I was
first married we were up to 16%.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on June 1st, 2009, 1:08 am

Yeah it's amazing. We somehow lucked into an adjustable libor (London bank rate) loan about three years ago, so our interest rate is just whatever the international bank lending rate is. And since Libor is currently 0.5%, we are paying less than $50 a month for our mortgage. Needless to say, we're not hoping for the recession to end anytime soon. :D

The last time the interest rates were 16% in the U.S. was a long, long time ago. I'd say maybe early 90's? Or maybe even all the way back in the late 70's. Most of the time it is generally between 6.5-9 percent around here. Right now it is pretty historically low, I'd say between 4.5 and 7 percent for most people.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on June 1st, 2009, 7:57 am

MarioMangler wrote:Sorry, nice catch. Effing grammar nazi. :D

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Real estate can bl0w me.

You have full license to buzz me on one of my many mistakes. I've written "new," for "knew," "your," instead of "you're," and the list goes on. A friend of mine told me a rule of thumb with regard to the written word. "The number of mistakes multiplies by copies made." :lol:

I wish real estate would blow me...at least I'd be getting some action. :twisted:

Basso

PS: I have mortgage envy...big time. :evil:
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on June 1st, 2009, 10:15 am

Yeah but our tiny little house is also unsellable right now (which is what we really want to do) so it sort of evens out, karma-wise. You couldn't sell a house in California right now if it came with Jessica Alba included.

What I would like to see is self-deprecating real estate. Now that would be something amusing. Look, this house has self esteem issues! This one won't make eye contact with you! This poor house was owned by Rodney Dangerfield!
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on June 1st, 2009, 10:32 am

This Tudor used to take pride in itself, but look how it's let itself go!

This house has agoraphobia, it keeps itself shuttered up all day and night.

Stucco wanting to look like Adobe...so sad.

Even the termites think it's deadwood.

Rancher, you call that a Rancher, more like a pig-stye with delusions of grandeur.
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on June 3rd, 2009, 3:53 am

ha, clever!.
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)