Creatine to stop BFS?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Creatine to stop BFS?

Postby skinny on September 14th, 2003, 7:27 pm

Hi,

Has anyone taken creatine monohydrate to alleviate twitching? I found a post after googling some keywords with twitching.

Email Address:
Have suffered for 28 years from these symptoms - progressively every muscle group involved. Noticed the twitches were completely gone in 1997 during a period of weight training (4 days per week - 1 hour/day followed by 30 minutes on a bike x4) and thought that the weight lifting & bike eliminated some chemical in my system that caused the twitching). But, now looking back, I had been taking 2 tablespoons of creatine monohydrate per day (for more strength in working out). After two-three weeks of taking creatine, I had no twitching. Was it a combination of working out, 6-8 glasses of water per day, 2 Met-Rx packages a day (have since quit the Met-Rx junk), vitamin supplements (lots of B6), and creatine? Without the creatine (& Met-Rx) the symptoms came back. I have started creatine again and after two weeks the twitching has almost disappeared. Guys, I would recommend you try it (buy at your local health store) and report your experiment on line after two-three weeks. Something in 1997 worked for me. I am experimenting with the same workout & supplement regime in order to isolate the "cure". Will keep you posted.

Reference: http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_ ... TINEG.html

skinny
skinny

Postby marieclare on September 14th, 2003, 8:27 pm

No, but I think we should try it and report back!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paul on September 15th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Hi,
I have just done a search for creatine on google and there is some interesting information on there about it. The MDA have some information about trials of its use with muscle diseases but even they say it is early days yet but there seems to be some truth in it. I have a theory that Bfs might be liver related and the liver does produce creatine.
Paul.
paul

Postby Nole on September 15th, 2003, 7:50 pm

Is creatine safe to take?? Very interesting, wouldnt that be great if it did the job?!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby skinny on September 15th, 2003, 10:05 pm

I have been taking a creatine monohydrate supplement. I started about two weeks ago, stopped it for a bit because I was getting diaherria and lowered my dosage. I am going to start back up with about 1 to 2 grams dosage a day. D is a side effect of too much creatine. I was taking a loading dose of 10 grams 2x a day for a few days, then dropped to 5 grams a day. Still it looked like the D hit me about 4 hours into the dose.

I haven't noticed any improvement so far, but I need a month to see how it goes.

BTW, creatine is a safe supplement to take if you don't have any kidney problems. I am taking a powder form with a carbs in it since it was shown to improve creatine absorption.

Edit: Hmm, digging a little more seems like this is the same guy concluding it was not the creatine but the intense workouts

Creatine does not, I repeat DOES NOT have any effect on BFS.
What I am personally experimenting with are the varity of things I was taking in 1997 when I had a BFS-free year for the first time in 28 years. I was taking Creatine, MET-RX, etc. while on a weight training program (4 times per week). I have tested Creatine this spring, since the twitches have ravaged me again, and discovered that Creatine doesn't do a *beep* thing - directly. What it does do (FACT) is increase your ability to work out longer, and with significantly more intensity. All of us BFSers know that if you fatigue a particular muscle, or muscle group, that is the "twitcher of the day/week/month" - then often the twitch is "burned out" and goes away for a while (days/months, etc.). I believe that Creatine in its proven role of increasing workout intensity helps me push all targeted muscles in my weight training regime (just started back 4 days per week - 1 hour per day with a weight trainer - May 2, 1999) to fatigue and into the BFS "burnout zone". This is my experience. It appears to be working again. Probably don't need Creatine, except that my workout capacity is a least double than when not taking the supplement - I don't want to give these twitching muscles any mercy, so with higher intensity I really push my workouts. I am acually motivated to workout with weights simply because of the relief it gives me from twitching. Reason enough. I bomb the twitching muscle with a declaration of war on its energy to twitch. With twitches that effect my eyelids (can't exercise them - squinting/gremacing doesn't seem to help) heavy doses of Vitamine B6 always seem to stop them in a few days, whereas they may last 60-90 days straight in these muscles without special attention.

http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_ ... rF/AN.html

skinny
skinny

Postby Floater on September 21st, 2003, 7:19 pm

Creatine is very bad for the liver it will only make your symptoms worse..
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby StayingAboveIt on March 8th, 2004, 1:46 am

I just wanted to bump this very old post to see if anyone has experience anythign similar...

I too have noticed that the two times i have taken creatine (3 grams/day for a few months), my twitches have been less active...but this could just be a coincidence...

I think I am going to try this again.
StayingAboveIt

Postby TwoSlick on March 9th, 2004, 9:50 pm

My neurologist suggested that I take creatine quite a while ago, but I never really started doing it. However, last week I started using the powdered type for muscle development (I started doing the body-for-life program.)

I've only been taking it for a little over a week, and I'll let you know how it goes with the symptoms.

- TwoSlick
TwoSlick

Tried it

Postby Davey on April 15th, 2004, 5:14 pm

I've tried creatine, but found that it had no positive affect on my symptoms.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TheyDon'tBelieveMe on April 16th, 2004, 4:56 am

I did creatine for a while. No effect on fascics.
TheyDon'tBelieveMe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management