Native english speakers- please help with correction

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Native english speakers- please help with correction

Postby Blizna on April 6th, 2009, 6:35 am

Hi,
I would be really glad if somebody could help me with an english abstract of my diploma thesis. Thank you!

This thesis deals with leftist subcultures and the setting of the radical left wing in Czech Republic from the perspective of their origin, course and connection to leftist ideology. After short introduction to issues of bipolar divison of policital spectrum there is sufficient amount of space dedicated just to these ideologies of anarchism and communism in order to sketch historical overview of their course and classification to individual schools of thought which are reffered from particular radical leftist formations.
Blizna
Hero
Hero

Re: Native english speakers- please help with correction

Postby jro on April 6th, 2009, 11:58 am

I have no particular background in subject of your thesis but took a shot at revising it without altering its meaning:

This thesis deals with leftist subcultures and the setting of the radical left wing in the Czech Republic from the perspective of its origin, course, and connection to leftist ideology.
After a short introduction on the bipolar divison of the policital spectrum, the ideologies of anarchism and communism are discussed. This discussion provides the necessary historical overview required to connect these ideologies to the evolution of other ideologies born from particular radical leftist formations.
jro
Saint
Saint

Postby Blizna on April 8th, 2009, 10:30 am

Thank you!
Please could you help me a bit more, since it changed the meaning a bit:

You changed "schools of thought" for ideologies, but Im not sure if its the same in english. The schools of thought (I wanted to use word "streams") are just sub-streams of ideology - like there is anarchism and its sub-ideologies (schools of thought) are mutualism, individulalism, anarchosyndicalism etc. Thank you for your kind help!
Blizna
Hero
Hero

Postby jro on April 8th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Ideology and "school of thought" mean the same thing in English. If you want to suggest that a set of ideologies stem from a broader ideology then subideologies is the correct term. I hope this is what you wanted to know.
jro
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)