Had a haircut, they used razor, hepatitis risk

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Had a haircut, they used razor, hepatitis risk

Postby Richard on March 9th, 2009, 9:17 pm

I went to get a haircut tonight at a new place. At the end of the haircut the woman used a razor to give me a close shave on the back of the neck and around the ears.

I didn't think about it to much until later and about the possible risk of a blood tramsmitted desease.

Well I looked up AIDS. AIDS dies off rapidly outside of the body. In something like 30 seconds. So no real problem here.

The problem is hepatitis. I guess hepatitis can last a while.

Tomorrow I will go back to the barber shop and ask them if they used a new razor on me. I doubt it because it looked like it was a long, straight razor.

The risk is 'relatively' low. But there is a risk.

Please say a prayer for me.

It would be a bummer to get over BFS and then have hepatitis.

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Re: Had a haircut, they used razor, hepatitis risk

Postby Mendota on March 9th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Most places I've seen keep those in an antibiotic fluid. I can' t imagine anyone would reuse a razor without some sort of sterilization, if only because they would be sued or get in trouble with the health department.

This really seems like a long-shot risk to me. If I had a thought like that that bothered me for more than a couple of seconds, I would probably wonder about it.

Man, I need a haircut. My wife gave me one. It looks like my wife gave me my haircut, too.
In case of panic, click and watch to very end...
http://weebls-stuff.com/flash/badger.swf
BFS going on five years and not dead yet.
Mendota
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Richard on March 9th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Mendota wrote:Most places I've seen keep those in an antibiotic fluid. I can' t imagine anyone would reuse a razor without some sort of sterilization, if only because they would be sued or get in trouble with the health department.

This really seems like a long-shot risk to me. If I had a thought like that that bothered me for more than a couple of seconds, I would probably wonder about it.

Man, I need a haircut. My wife gave me one. It looks like my wife gave me my haircut, too.

Hepatitis is actually a pretty tough virus. It will stay alive for days. And I don't think it gets killed by antibiotic.

But I did try to the link to your signature and now I feel better.

-Richard

P.S. quick funny story. When we were just married and didn't make much money my wife game me haircuts. Well one time she used the electric razor and cut a 1/2 inch strip off the side of my head. Of course, the people at work commented about it.

One guy, who was very cheap, I kid you not asked if my wife could cut his hair :shock:
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby ed73 on March 10th, 2009, 7:10 am

Richard,

Richard Dont worry, nowadays in any barbershop in the world ( maybe except in Africa) changes the razorblades for each client.

BTW, Congrats with your tegretol sucess!! Could you tell us a little more about it. As I understand, Its a pretty heavy molecule and the risk of liver damage is somehow high, how was your experience using it?

Eduardo
PROUD AMBASSADOR OF THE BFS COMMUNITY IN COLOMBIA
TWITCH PRO SINCE JUL-08
ed73
Hero
Hero

Postby Richard on March 10th, 2009, 5:02 pm

ed73 wrote:Richard,

Richard Dont worry, nowadays in any barbershop in the world ( maybe except in Africa) changes the razorblades for each client.

BTW, Congrats with your tegretol sucess!! Could you tell us a little more about it. As I understand, Its a pretty heavy molecule and the risk of liver damage is somehow high, how was your experience using it?

Eduardo

So quick update, I went back to the haircut place and asked them. They showed me how they change out the razors and wash the holder. Then they asked me for my credentials. I told them I don't have any I just came for a haircut yesterday.

They told me they change out the blades frequently, and then they told me after each person. I doubt they change them out after each customer. But I still think the risk is relatively low.

I think I really upset them :). They followed me to the parking lot and checked out my car to make sure I was not from the health department or something.

Yes with Tegretol you need periodic liver tests. At first I did them every month. Now every 2 months. The doctor tells me that 'younger' people are able to tolerate the medication better. I am 40 so I guess younger is relative :).

The blood test is no big deal. Please note I still twitch. The trick is if I stopped taking the med completely what would happen. The neurologist tells me that the max benefit is from taking the med 1 year and then going off it. That will be May for me. We will see.

But I do forget to take the meds sometimes I really think I have gotten somewhat better. Maybe not 100%. But I don't expect my hair to stop going grey anyway.

Cheers.
-Richard
Richard
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)