AboutBFS on Slate.com and The Independent newspaper (UK)

Site Comments / Problems / Suggestions

Moderator: JohnV

AboutBFS on Slate.com and The Independent newspaper (UK)

Postby JohnV on January 30th, 2009, 11:31 am

Some of you may have seen the article referencing AboutBFS at Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2206521).

Well, you may interested to know that I was not aware that article had been written - the editors / writer at Slate never contacted me! Be that as it may, I am grateful that the site got some coverage as a wider audience can only help to make people who are experiencing the kind of fear that many of us have had in past more aware of the forum.

Interestingly, I actually received word of the article from a reporter at The Independent - a national newspaper in the UK. He interviewed me yesterday about the site and about "Cyberchondria" in general for a feature hi is writing. Again, I am thankful that the site may receive some wider exposure so that more people can find support here and BFS will be more widely known. I will let you know if / when anything comes of that.

As I described to him, after I was diagnosed I saw the need to provide a dedicated space on the web for info and support for BFS sufferers and had the technical expertise and time to throw together this site. However it has been you, the forum participants that have been the lifeblood of this forum and have really made this a community that welcomes users to a place that people can "find support, get information, have your questions answered, and raise awareness about this illness".

As a commenter @ the Slate article mentioned - "I briefly perused aboutbfs.com. I was impressed by how supportive and reassuring the posters were." This is to your credit, not mine and this is what has allowed the site to fulfill that mission and grow beyond my original vision.

My thanks goes out to Aaron and garym who have helped me moderate the site over the years, and also to those regulars in the forums who have given so much of their time to be active in them as well.

I am always open to comments, ideas, and concerns about the site and forums, so please don’t hesitate to contact me.
JohnV
Webmaster
http://www.AboutBFS.com
JohnV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AboutBFS on Slate.com and The Independent newspaper (UK)

Postby Mendota on February 2nd, 2009, 8:25 pm

Great article. Except I resent being called a hypochondriac. It is somatoform disorder ;-)

Please let me take the opportunity to bless you for this wonderful website, which has been so often a source of information, comfort, inspiration and fellowship. The true value becomes more apparent as years pass, because it is an archive of my own symptoms. I can look back and see, yes, I've been here before and survived. It is likely I shall this time, too.
In case of panic, click and watch to very end...
http://weebls-stuff.com/flash/badger.swf
BFS going on five years and not dead yet.
Mendota
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby eparker on February 3rd, 2009, 8:33 pm

God Bless You all for this site. I have never, ever been in the dumps as far as this thing has brought me. My dealings with this site are the only thing that have helped.
eparker

Postby JohnV on February 16th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Here is the link to the article in the Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 23649.html

If anyone in the UK would be willing to obtain a copy and send it across the pond, I would be very grateful.
JohnV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby paulreason on March 26th, 2009, 8:34 am

This article makes me furious,yes people who twitch here twitch there have got BFS, but there are others on the forum who have a nerve disorder caused by something.I myself have not just got plain BFS like what most people have here, i have a progressing disorder with other symtoms including blindness episodes .So we all should know by now what catagory we all fall into . YOU KNOW WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.
paulreason
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on March 27th, 2009, 7:27 pm

paulreason wrote:This article makes me furious,yes people who twitch here twitch there have got BFS, but there are others on the forum who have a nerve disorder caused by something.I myself have not just got plain BFS like what most people have here, i have a progressing disorder with other symtoms including blindness episodes .So we all should know by now what catagory we all fall into . YOU KNOW WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.

Yes very true ...do you also feel you have aged 25 years in the space of three? I have had to insist on seeing a neuro again ....stll awaiting appointment because like you say the rate of progression ....eyesight problems in one eye, urinary problems too, numbness that wakes me and interferes with simple task such as holding a knife.... pushing a shopping trolly and driving my car....then neurapathy that started in both my feet that is now upto my knees is telling me theres something not right here.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to AboutBFS.com Site Topics