Numbness

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Numbness

Postby angusglover on September 24th, 2008, 7:39 am

For the last few weeks, I have woken up in the middle of the night with real "gone to sleep" tingling in the pinkie and ring fingers of both hands. Last night I woke up and the pinkie and ring finger of right hand were numb. Completely dead for a few seconds, until I start to wiggle it then it "comes back to life".

Anyone else get this really annoying symptom?
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Re: Numbness

Postby ImOK on September 24th, 2008, 10:41 am

Yes. Very scary if you wake up from a nightmare where your limb is stuck but otherwise it's not much of a thing. Change your sleep position?
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Tom A on September 24th, 2008, 2:31 pm

It could be carpal tunnel, although the pinky is not normally effected, it can be. When I was in my late 20's I had full blown carpal tunnel in both arms, I would have to sleep with my arms hanging off the edge of the bed because the pain and numbness where so intense. The funny thing is that I never even went to the doctor for it, I just had heard about it from people I worked with and my Father. It would come on for a couple of months, ease up, etc off and on for years. So I am wondering why did such and intense symptom not bother me back then, and what I am going through now has me such a roller coaster ride. You know what did not exist when I was in my late twenties? The internet. Food for thought, although what I have now, honestly, is considerably worst.
Tom A
Hero
Hero

Postby sueboy on September 24th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I wake up with my hands a sleep every night and have for months. My Dr. said said that I must lay on them and cut off blood supply. No concern!
sueboy
Hero
Hero

Postby postpartum on September 24th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Yes, my first symptoms were numbness. My one foot and hand would go to sleep all of the time. Once in a while I get a bit of numbness in a couple of my fingers.
postpartum

Postby angusglover on September 25th, 2008, 2:58 am

I know I am not lying on it, but t is most uncomfortable!!!

Another weird symptom to add to the list!!!
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on September 25th, 2008, 10:38 am

Well, this keeps coming up in posts here - numbness, tingling, appendages falling asleep, burning sensations in limbs. They are are related and according 'those who know' all these are due to nerve compression causing the lack of signal(impulse) to the brain plus lack of nutirents to the body parts. SO bcfs, it's causes, or symptoms, is either cutting off that signal or somehow preventing it to adequately transfer. Our bodies are telling us with these sensations that something needs to be fixed but too bad for us that an adjustment of posture to relieve nerve compression works but it re-occurs over and over.

No wonder people get frantic - you get a repeat error message. It's like trying not to blink when someone throws a punch at your face - working against your natural instincts trying to avoid all these repeat warning sensations. Yeah, they may be benign but it goes against common body sense. Try explaining that to your neuro......

Ever hear that tune "Bad Wisdom"? Like 'slow cheetah' only darker....
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Mike_isr on September 29th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Yes,
In my case it was the first symptom, starting about 6 month before other BFS symptoms.
I went to sleep and woke up with completely "dead" hand. Usually happened after physical effort.
I was scarred to death.
Mike.
Mike_isr

Postby MartinM on September 29th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Yeah I had this. This was when I was taking beta blockers for suspected anxiety. Numbness is a side effect ofbeta blockers sometimes. I haven't had it since I stopped them.
MartinM

Postby Pix on November 9th, 2008, 6:40 am

I have exact same thing...i don't know if it's serious or not. Past few weeks I walk up sometimes with numbness in my palm and little right finger. It goes away instantly when i move it. Should i be worried?
Pix

Postby ImOK on November 9th, 2008, 4:18 pm

No. No worries, happens to everyone with or without bcfs.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby StacyH on November 10th, 2008, 11:42 am

I've posted before that numbness and tingling in the pinky and ring finger are due to the ulnar nerve. If you prop yourself on your elbows or sleep in a certain position you can affect that nerve. It's no different than your whole hand falling asleep. If it continues throughout the day and you have no cause behind it, there is something called ulnar nerve entrapment which I think they can find through NCV testing. Once I discontinued habitually leaning on my elbows, this sensation disappeared.

Stacy
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us - Emerson
StacyH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TattooedMommy on November 10th, 2008, 11:48 am

Yep..I curl my wrists towards me when I sleep and always wake up with tingling. As I believe Tom said sounds like Carpal Tunnel or just cut off blood supply. Nothing serious. As long as you can shake it off and it goes away. You seirously cant tell me you know your hands every move in your sleep at night so dont freak out. Again its another one of those things you probably dont just want to throw in the bfs box but just "something that happens".

DeeDee
"I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and laughed".
TattooedMommy
Saint
Saint

Postby Zak2000 on November 10th, 2008, 7:52 pm

PregnantNHappy wrote:Yep..I curl my wrists towards me when I sleep and always wake up with tingling. As I believe Tom said sounds like Carpal Tunnel or just cut off blood supply. Nothing serious. As long as you can shake it off and it goes away. You seirously cant tell me you know your hands every move in your sleep at night so dont freak out. Again its another one of those things you probably dont just want to throw in the bfs box but just "something that happens".

DeeDee

Hey!!! That happens to me too!!! My doc gave me a NVC and said I have damaged nerves in wrist. Sometimes I wake up and I my hands are a little numb. I always think, "is there going to be one morning when the hands are going to stay numb". Havent gotten to that point yet. I actually tried wrist support braces, but I found them uber annoying and actually woke up with one hand feeling worse with the brace. So i ditched the brace.

Now, its funny because I turned the carpel tunnel into another [email protected]@ symptom by rationalizing to myself that this was a sign my nerves were screwed up. Nevermind the EMGs they did on the same hands were normal. Also, that sensory nerves and motor nerves are different. They are, right? Add that to feeling all over twitching and have some throat troubles and linking the two. The two prolly dont have a thing to do with other.
Zak2000

Postby TattooedMommy on November 10th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Just shake it off and remember SENSORY Is not a ALS sign. Infact, my neuro told me when I told her I heard some pals saying they experienced numbness she said what you may define as numbness like "dead limb" or "tingly" or whatever may not be how someone else describes it. So just remember that. Someone whom cant move their legs may say they are numb/cant feel them but in actuality they are WEAK so weak they cant move. Remember most of these patients are elders so their descriptions (as a nurse I KNOW) are going to be off a little.

DeeDee
TattooedMommy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management