Having a bad time of things...

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby ams on May 15th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I've been a twitcher for quite some time (perhaps as long as I can remember), but got myself into a tizzy a few months ago when hit with more insistent twitches, perceived weakness, perceived stiffness, electric jolts, and all sorts of other symptoms. Saw my Dr., who didn't even think I needed to see a neuro. He referred me to a podiatrist for some instability in my ankles to look for bio-mechanical issues (he didn't even mention the possibility of a neurological issue, and only tested their strength when I asked him to, so I don't think he was too worried about it). Went to the podiatrist, who was flummoxed by my symptoms until I took of my shoes, and he immediately noticed that I've got high arches, which, in turn, has affected the alignment of my ankles, etc. He asks if I have any ankle pain, and I say no to pain, but there's that perceived stiffness.... Get some xrays, everything looks good. He has me walk on my toes and heels, which I can do (though the heel walk can cause some soreness in my ankles if I self-test too much...), and diagnoses me with pes cavus (high arches) and some forefoot valgus (the insides of my forefeet droop a little, I think due to how my feet hit the ground, due to my arches). He doesn't seem too worried about all of this and I get casts for some custom orthodics made, which I'll get in a few weeks. Of course, the minute I start concentrating on my feet, I've got the burning, tingling, pain, soreness that wasn't a consistent issue beforehand...ugh.

So all's well, right? My worries about floaters/optic neuritis are allayed by my eye Dr., my MS panic decreases, and ALS hasn't been a worry since I saw the Dr. originally. But, what about Charcot Marie Tooth? This is my current nemesis. I know my Dad and sister have high arches, and my Dad has some of the same ankle issues I have, and neither seems to have CMT. But, of course, I spend some time on CMT boards and read tons of stories about people who never knew it ran in their family, and they're the first to get hit hard by it. So now, I'm worrying that all this tingling/burning etc is a sign of CMT, which my high arches could be a sign of. I have perceived ankle weakness, and my feet move around a bit in my shoes, especially as I'm turning (I think due to how my ankles work and the narrowness of my heels), and of course I've noticed the asymmetry in my calves (the right seems more tapered than the left) so I've been concerned that this is all a sign of the disease attacking my feet/ankles/calves, even though I don't notice any clinical weakness (can jump on one foot, stairs aren't an issue, and I played a casual 30 min game of basketball last weekend). But you read about a former NBA player who had foot discomfort and has retired due to CMT, and tons of stories from folks with similar stories...

I know ALS and MS are the normal fears here, but this one's got me down...and here I thought I had this all beat, and that a combination of BFS and anxiety were all that was behind the whole thing... Sorry if that was long, just needed to vent. Any thoughts/reactoins are welcome...
ams
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group