Becca's Story

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Becca's Story

Postby beccam on April 22nd, 2008, 10:24 pm

Hello all,
I am new to this site, having just found it today (and so thankful that I did!). About 4 years ago I started having muscle twitches, pretty much everywhere. I didn't think that much of it, I was in nursing school at the time and thought maybe it was from caffeine or stress. Then, as I'm reviewing my study guide for the RN boards, I come across the neuromuscular diseases section, I see ALS and the first sigs and symptoms, which is course- muscle fasciculations. Now, I have been a hypochondriac/worry wart since birth, so my anxiety is immediately kicked into high gear and needless to say, I'm a wreck. I end up going to multiple doctors over the next few months, have multiple MRI's, blood tests, and an EMG. Everything came back normal and that wave of twitching passed. I would occasionally twitch after this crazy episode, but didn't worry as much about it because of my history, until a few weeks ago.....
I honestly don't remember what set me off, I woke up on day after I had been having occasional twitches (all over) and thought that my muscles felt weak. Not in one particular spot but everywhere just alternating times. I started freaking out again, thinking to myself that maybe I was clear of the ALS then, but I have it now! I started "testing" myself, doing push ups, hand exercises, leg exercises, going across the monkey bars, cartwheels- pretty much anything I could think of to "prove" to myself that I didn't have muscle weakness. Of course, this in turn not only made my muscles feel weak and tired, but crampy and kind of spastic. I try to explain to my husband sometimes that my muscles feel like they are charged with electricity- he doesn't get it. After worrying for a couple weeks and holding my baby at night crying, thinking that if I have ALS he'll never remember his momma- I kind of broke down while I was at the chiropractor (I have a bad neck.) She did all the clinical nerve tests and muscle tests, checked my reflexes and strength. She said that everything was normal, that I showed no signs of neurological illness. I felt better for a few hours, but my crazy mind obsesses and sooner than later I've convinced myself that, "she's not a true doctor, what does she know." I was on my way to letting the anxiety get the best of me when I came across this website. Reading the stories and facts made me feel supported, not alone, and like maybe I wasn't as crazy as I thought. What a great feeling! My muscles are still twitching and I still feel weak, but after finding this website, I'm giving myself a little more hope.
So, I have never been actually diagnosed with BFS, but I seem to match the criteria. What do you all think? Does this sound like I'm a BFS member, or do I need to start looking for a nice woman to raise my baby so that my husband doesn't find some twit to do it :wink:
Thanks so much and I welcome any feedback!
Becca
beccam

Becca's Story

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS