Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Postby roybean88 on April 7th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in addition to neuromyotonia. I wanted to see if anyone else has been diagnosed with this syndrome?
And if you have what works best to control the symptoms as far a exercise or medication? My doctor suggestion PT however I am to busy to give up the time two or three times a week for months.
:roll:
roybean
roybean88
Interested
Interested

Re: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Postby raindog on April 9th, 2008, 6:17 am

roybean88 wrote:Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in addition to neuromyotonia. I wanted to see if anyone else has been diagnosed with this syndrome?
And if you have what works best to control the symptoms as far a exercise or medication? My doctor suggestion PT however I am to busy to give up the time two or three times a week for months.

Just looked what it was and i would be a candidate for the nerve symptoms. Ive do get a lot of nocturnal numbness in both arms /hand and ive had like a tennis elbow left arm for near on 6 months. Posture and computer use mybe the cause? I'll start the exercises and stretching just in case :)
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby dawiz on April 9th, 2008, 6:50 am

roybean88 wrote:Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in addition to neuromyotonia. I wanted to see if anyone else has been diagnosed with this syndrome?

I've had tennis elbows on both sides for years, sometimes worse, sometimes better. Also, my hands, arms and fingers frequently fall asleep at night. I've had PT for about 6 weeks now, resulting in a lot less pain. However, when I stopped PT for a week, the pain was back. I've never heard of TOS but I'll definitely mention it to my GP next time I see him. So far I've mainly been treated for the tennis elbows and the weak/stiff feeling in my lower arms but I've long suspected that the real issue is in my shoulders. For example, when I lie flat on my belly and stretch my arms above my head, my hands fall asleep within 20 seconds or so. My hands even fall asleep when I lie belly down on my physical therapist's massage table with the arms placed on the arm rests next to my head.
dawiz

Postby missingoutonlife on April 9th, 2008, 12:40 pm

I have TOS, saw a neuro for it before, but was then referred to a cardiologist. He prescribed PT which I tried and was given braces which I used when I had flare ups. They sometimes helped. I never found complete relief or a cure for it. It comes and goes for me though, sometimes my arms ache and feel weak and other times they are fine. Of course with the twitching now though, every time I get a weak arm, I attribute it to something sinister when it could actually be TOS related. I just take Ibuprofen for it. Posture does play a role in it as if I spend too much time on the computer, I get a lot of pain.
Twitching since February 2008
missingoutonlife
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Capital H on April 10th, 2008, 7:58 am

I had to go and google that one. (yes I know the rules, never google)

I feel cheated now as I have all the symptoms of it but no diagnosis. I have put up with a diagnosis of Ulnar and Carpal Tunnel neuropathies and Sciatica instead when this would pull together all of that and include my face, jaw and ear as well.

However having had a recent neck MRI no entrapments higher up were reported, would Thoracic outlet show on such a scan or would it miss it?

I also have the somewhat cynical feeling that neuropathies are neuropathies, and if something is not entrapped except in a certain position, it may never show up in any clinical test. An MRI is just too small a space to allow you to be tested in positions where you would normally be using your limbs.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby dawiz on April 10th, 2008, 8:17 am

Capital H wrote:I had to go and google that one. (yes I know the rules, never google)

I feel cheated now as I have all the symptoms of it but no diagnosis. I have put up with a diagnosis of Ulnar and Carpal Tunnel neuropathies and Sciatica instead when this would pull together all of that and include my face, jaw and ear as well.

I feel pretty much the same way - I've been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel and tendonitis and treated for it for years without much success. Nobody ever cared to do an MRI on me, though. However, I'm not sure whether an MRI would actually show anything unless there's swelling around the nerves and or veins.

dawiz
dawiz

Postby Capital H on April 10th, 2008, 8:40 am

I have had both elbows and one wrist operated on, yet the NCV still shows problems in the left arm. (which I don't really need an NCV to know about since I can feel them) When I went back for a follow up after I mentioned shoulder and neck pain, and was given some physio for it, but no explanation as to where it might be coming from. Although I twitch all over, a lot of symptoms are worse on the left hand side. My personal suspicion, (and that of a previous physio) was that it was coming from my neck but the MRI seems to have ruled that out, just wear and tear on the vertebrae but nothing trapped or compressed.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby dawiz on April 10th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Capital H wrote:I have had both elbows and one wrist operated on, yet the NCV still shows problems in the left arm.

that's what I'm afraid of - going through all kinds of surgical procedures and not getting rid of the underlying problem :-( Do you work in IT?
dawiz

Postby Capital H on April 10th, 2008, 4:41 pm

I do recall the surgeon giving me the odds for success that ought to have been in my favour and also saying that whatever happened to the one side did not mean the operation would be less or more successful for the other.

I guess I lost the gamble with my left arm, but hopefully I have won with the right which seems to be better.

The surgeon was pretty blunt though, he said if I did not have the operation it would only get worse and that I would eventually lose the use of my hands, I suppose not everybody has it as bad as that, but I just drew a short straw. He thinks it would be even worse if I had not had the operation,

He seems to be a fairly blunt guy, when I was worried about atrophy in my left hand he didn't try and reassure me, he told me I was right, the muscles had gone and they were never coming back.

Not really what you want to hear.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby missingoutonlife on April 14th, 2008, 11:35 am

Just to answer a couple questions about the TOS I saw here. From what I understand, an NCV, EMG or MRI does not pick it up. I've had them all. I had an EMG, NCV and MRI years ago when I had the symptoms of TOS and they were all normal. I also had another EMG and NCV a week ago and it was normal too. The cardiologist diagnosed me by pulling my arms back and checking my pulse. After a certain point, the pulse disappears and that's how they tell you have it. I believe it involves compression of the arteries, at least that is the form I believe I was diagnosed with.
Twitching since February 2008
missingoutonlife
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Capital H on April 17th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Well I have decided I shall wait for the results of my MRI and then if there are no explanations forthcoming I shall go and bother my long suffering GP about TOS.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby roybean88 on May 9th, 2008, 10:51 am

My dr ordered a doppler ultrasound with a TOS waveform.That is how he found out I have TOS. Maybe you should try that test it was painless & only took about an hour.
roybean
roybean88
Interested
Interested

Postby Jens_twitch on May 17th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Can someone post a ink on the symptoms and info on this TOS!! Thanks!
Jens_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Jens_twitch on May 17th, 2008, 2:40 pm

I cant type today can some post a link to this syndorme thanks!
Jens_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on May 17th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Take your pick

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Tho ... TF-8&rd=r1

Code: Select all
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome At A Glance
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition whereby symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels, or both, because of an inadequate passageway through an area (thoracic outlet) between the base of the neck and the armpit.
Symptoms include neck, shoulder, and arm pain, numbness, or impaired circulation to the extremities (causing discoloration).
Diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome is suggested by the symptoms and physical findings and is sometimes supported by electrical and/or radiology tests.
Treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome usually involves physical-therapy exercises and avoiding certain prolonged positions of the shoulder.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics