myokymia

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

myokymia

Postby uber on December 21st, 2003, 6:23 pm

Do any of you ever read about myokymia and think it suits the desciption of your twitches more?? I have to admitt then myokymia often sounds more like what I have that fasciculations, but then again sometimes my twitches seem to be more like the dexcription of fasciculations. Still after all this time ive never had an EMG, as its so exspensive here in the UK and the waiting list on the NHS is over a year in my area.

Had some stranges twitches/jerks the other night when watching lord of the rings as some of you may know the movie is on for 3 1/2 hours (Excellent movie btw) and like I often have been getting recently over the last 4 month I got some nasty twitches in my knees, the twitches were so bad it was making my whole leg jerk, literally felt as if somebody was hitting my leg.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitching man on December 21st, 2003, 11:48 pm

I also get the jolt almost like lightning sharp jabs. I also think other people with bfs get this.
twitching man

Postby dwl on December 22nd, 2003, 3:41 am

My neuro saw my twitching & described it as myokymia. I'm sure that this is what most of us experience rather that fasciculations. Myokymia is not indicative of als/mnd.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on December 22nd, 2003, 7:30 am

Ive seen it mentioned as a symptoms for MS, but what else is it indicatvie of?
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on December 22nd, 2003, 8:03 am

I heard that myokymia is a sympthom of Issac rather than MS or ALS.

I dont think that most of us have myokymia. Myokymia is a very characteristic undulating muscle movement which is not reported often here.

Most of us have single or serial twitches (very light jerks). I also don't think that this kind of muscle activity is a fasciculation, which I believe is random twitching of many muscle fibers (or fascicles) of ONE muscle in the same time. It looks like worms under skin and can be provoke by hitting a muscle. This kind of muscle activity can be benign and without weakness is not a sign of ALS.

I believe that most of us have a kind of hyperexcitability of nerves (propably peripheral). I believe that there could be thousand reasons of that hyperexcitability.

What do you think?

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on December 22nd, 2003, 9:17 am

From my reading of reputable articles & journals on the web it seems that myokymia is a symptom of several conditions including bfs and Isaac's syndrome. BFS is at the mildest end of the spectrum & Isaac's is at the severest end.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on December 22nd, 2003, 9:56 am

Marcin,

I believe the hyperexcitability of the pn's. That would explain muscle pains as well.

Gary
garym

Postby Dale on December 22nd, 2003, 12:10 pm

I don't read-up on anything to discover a condition that best suits my twitching. I prefer my Neuro's description as "benign."

I have however been reading-up on building tree houses. My seven year-old daughter has been bugging Dad for over a year. It's actually pretty interesting. You'd be amazed at the "Trump Towers" design that I'm researching now. Hope my property taxes don't go up next year!

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby thetwitchkid on December 22nd, 2003, 12:47 pm

Dale:

You have the best sense of humor !!
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on December 22nd, 2003, 4:48 pm

I guess if i just twitched and had no other symptoms, I would not research either...................No, just to proactive when it comes to my health. By the way, benign just means it's not gonna kill you.
garym

Postby Ray on December 22nd, 2003, 11:48 pm

The feeling is mutual Gary!

Ray
Ray

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management