Dents and Atrophy

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Dents and Atrophy

Postby kit on January 10th, 2008, 3:18 pm

The following information is from another thread. I am providing this as a sticky topic so that those who have questions and concerns with regard to this can have easy access to the information and hopefully avoid much self testing and worry.
Kit

This goes for everyone on this entire site and will serve as a public service announcement as there seems to be a definite trend You have dents and alterations in the contours of your body. One side will always be different than the other side. The things that everyone seems to be noticing are normal anatomical landmarks that you have likely had for years. They may be more or less prominent due to:
water weight
exercise
muscle mass
handedness - right hand or left hand dominance
work activities - repetitive actions etc
crossing your legs
wearing heels
wearing flats/athletic shoes
God has created these little dents and grooves in our bodies to serve as an area for nerves to pass without entrapment, as a place for tendons to sit, because He decided that the placement of the muscles/bones would function better.

The reason we notice these little normal anatomical differences is because unfortunately with this condition we are constantly self testing or looking to evaluate and reevaluate if there has been a change. Trust me if you really examined one side of your face compared to the other you would be shocked to note that your eyes are not the same size, your lids may not open to the same amount that your jaw is not in the midline, that one nostril is larger than the other, that there are more wrinkles on one side that the other and that your hair is thicker on one side of your head than the other.

Please, please please, trust me when I say this to you as I have instructed many student doctors on this....when there is a true pathologic difference in ANYTHING, we do not have to squint our eyes and examine and reexamine. It is quite obvious and comes with a whole plethora of other symptoms and complaints. Unless you are very familiar with anatomy, you are not in a position to question the little dents because likely they are quite normal. Medicine is quite logical and the bad stuff, it follows a pattern. So in this instance before you panic as to whether or not a dent on one side of your body is something awful, please remember:

When you hear hoofbeats, you should always assume horses first. Never expect zebras or worse yet, flying unicorns.

Please know that I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic but offering this in an effort to help allay the fears of many people.
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Re: Dents and Atrophy

Postby skunktail on January 11th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Kit, your the number one anxiety killer and the number one doctor of all the Google Lion tamers. Thanks as always for your factual information and peace of mind! :D
skunktail

Postby kepson on July 6th, 2008, 10:45 am

Thanks Kit! It feels good to know that I am not the only one who believed that I had some neuro disease based on bfs and the fact that I looked for and noticed differences in muscle tone of different body parts (ex. left calf seems to be smaller than the right; left arm seems to be smaller than right). I have really been fearing ALS for about 4 months especially considering the fact that I watched this horrible disease take my dad out and now all of a sudden I suffer from BFS. My neuro has told me time after time again that I do not have ALS because of normal clinical exams and he has ran an EMG on me which came back normal with the exception of what he called muscle irritation which I believe is due to the fact that I excercise about 4 days a week (cardio and weights). Can anyone explain to me what muscle irritation really is when picked up on a EMG?
kepson

Postby Jeremy23 on January 2nd, 2010, 2:54 pm

Hi, I am new and I was just wondering about this. This forum is excellent....Self testing, oh yeah. Every asimetry is possible reason for concern. I was worried about my right thigh being different, not even smaller, but different than left EVEN THOUGH i knew it's been like that for a long time. Still, some things change your perception.
Jeremy23
Interested
Interested

Postby moeSlow on November 2nd, 2012, 6:20 pm

I have a question. Can you have atrophy before weakness? My right thigh is less muscular, I mean it feels like I'm missing a big chunk of hamstring when I flex and run my hands on the right. The right thigh twitches much more and odd sensation or two. Now, iv been twitching for two years and what had me worried was that my right leg tires and starts burning when I walk to school. At around the two km mark. It also starts burning when I drive. Is this weakness and atrophy? Or doesn't atrophy happen after one isn't able to work a muscle and it decays from lack of use. And is it a good sign or bad that twitching which used to be a storm whenever I laid down, now is much much lesss... No more rapidly moving twitches wrecking havoc but rather slow thumpers that last 3 or 5 see some. Is that good? Man, the muscle disparity and a big hole like empty part in my hamstring has me really freaked.
moeSlow

Postby Yuliasir on November 3rd, 2012, 2:33 am

Hi moeSlow,
burning and tired muscles are not atrophy. atrophied muscles are flabby, they lack tonus and in case of NMD they are absolutely useless. Even if you spend a 3 month in a leg cast, you would have to use walking cane in recovery period just because your othervise alive and innervated muscle had no use for three month and become a bit useless then...

as for holes in the hamstring, I could clearly say that this musle is never like a solid wooden or metal piece (unless you are not a bodybuilder :) )and always has uneven relief.
Twithcing is a muscle activity. Especially our BFS twitching. It MOVES our muscles, and therefore twitched leg or hand ususally becomes easily tired, irritated etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management