Worried again :(

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Worried again :(

Postby uber on November 20th, 2003, 3:32 am

About 3 weeks ago, my physchiatrist decided to try me on SSRI's again and its just sent my problem mad again :(

Its been reasonable calm, and all I could say ive experienced over the last 4-5 month are mainly symptoms of depression/anxiety, but always randomly get the occasional twitch or jerk in random parts of my body :(

I started taking these SSRI's and a 3 week course of sleeping drugs, 3 weeks ago, I was fine for 2 weeks, then I started to notice a stiffness in my left index finger which migrated into my wrist, they feel tired and weak, but couldnt notice any "real" weakness :/ I could still do exercises no problem, im not dropping things.

however last 2 days have gotten worse and worse, yesterday very briefly I felt my left bicep shaking, a few hours later it happened again and then started happening more and more yesterday, It was only ever happening for 2-3 seconds, so by the time id look at my arm it would stop. However last night, I managed to catch it as it started happening more and more, my left bicep is definately twitching, it looks like its wobbling all over, but I can feel the rapid twitching "pulse" like feeling from within :( Ive woke up this morning and now its happening every few mins, but stopping and starting, like rapid cotractions..i.e it twitches for a few seconds rapidly, then stops, then starts again 30 seconds later :(

What kind of twitching is this?? Rapid quick twitches that last for 2-3 seconds, then stop, then start again, then stop :( Because I cant notice any weakness I cant say its ALS, but then again im not sure :/ these dont feel like the random 1 off twitches I used to get, these feel more like my arm is quickly "pusling" then stopping, then starting then stopping :(

Guess ill be ringing my neurologist, as dont know if this medication has started a problem again
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on November 20th, 2003, 8:04 am

Uber,

Sounds like something btw. a buzzing sensation and a twitch. Since SSRIs affect your neurotransmitters, I don't think it's unusual at all that you are twitching more. You need to give your body several months to get used to the change, which I know is tough....but if they are helping you to deal with your health anxieties, it may be worth it! Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if it will make you feel better to go see a nuero, then go for it!

I think BFS is hallmarked by its coming and going nature. At least that's how it is for me, and many other people on this site I've talked to. But it is always a little scary when it goes for a while and comes back. For me, taking psuedoephidrine (like Sudafed, a nasal decongestant), sets me into twitch overdrive, esp. the tounge!

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jen :lol:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby dwl on November 20th, 2003, 11:51 am

Hey Uber,

This is definitely not the story of someone with als. If you had als by now you would not be able to do stuff like button up your shirt or walk heel to toe.

BFS is notorious for coming & going and migrating about the body. It is an autoimmune condition - your immune system is attacking things called voltage-gated potassium channels which affects the nerves which control your muscles. Fortunately, your body is able to grow more of these channels to replace the ones which have been damaged.

Anxiety will make these symptoms feel about a million times worse. Bfs does NOT turn into anything nasty - there is ample published evidence to support this.

Ask your wife/partner what they think the main problem is - I would bet quite a lot of money that they have a better idea of the situation than you do! I know my wife certainly decided long before I did that I didn't have anything serious going on.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on November 21st, 2003, 3:23 am

Hi David

I'm interested in the information about potassium channels. I think it's only one of many theories about BFS origin. Could you post a link to the source of this info.

thanks
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on November 21st, 2003, 3:58 am

Here's one of many:

http://thecni.org/reviews/13-2-p02-england.htm

You can find many more by searching on voltage gated potassium channels on google, pubmed, etc.

http://bmj.com/all.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on November 21st, 2003, 5:13 am

Thank you
Pole
Hero
Hero

Sponsor