Quinine Sulfate Helps Fascics

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Quinine Sulfate Helps Fascics

Postby solarisle on November 11th, 2003, 8:43 am

I was at my wits end about 6 weeks ago. The fascis were so bad I wasn't sleeping and I couldn't concentrate on anything else. They were all over my body and getting worse every day. I have taken Neurontin, Trileptal, etc... with no luck, just terrible headaches, groggy and feeling very depressed.

I went to see a new GP and he suggested Quinine Sulfates. I said I would try anything and, they have helped to dramatically improve my symptoms. The fascics are still there BUT they have been reduced to the point where I hardly notice them.

I knew they used Quinine for muscle cramps and I would get them occassionally in my calves which is why my GP prescribed it. What a difference! I take 350mg. at night just before going to sleep.

I don't know what the long term effects are but I can only say that for the first time in probably 2 years I feel almost normal. I know it's just helping the symptoms, but I'll take it :D
solarisle
Interested
Interested

Postby Sahti on November 14th, 2003, 2:19 am

Now you've got my attention!
I've been prescribed Neurontin but haven't tried it yet...
What exactly is Quinine Sulfate? How does it work? What class of drug is it? How do you get your doctor to prescribe it?
I'm really desperate here... I have the fascics EVERYWHERE, day in and day out. Driving me up a wall.
"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King
Sahti

Postby garym on November 14th, 2003, 5:20 pm

Sahti,

Don't be scared of the neurontin. It hasn't been bad for me, yet anyway.

Gary
garym

Quinine Sulfates

Postby solarisle on November 17th, 2003, 11:51 am

Sahti,

Quinine Sulfate is used for a variety of different ailments. It actually was and I believe still is sold over-the-counter but because of misuse, you probably will need a prescription.

It is typically prescribed for leg muscle cramps. It seems to be some form of a muscle relaxant that works on the muscle membrane.

I have been taking for almost 2 weeks and it has helped. It does have some side effects ( I have not experienced any) so make sure you speak to your doctor. My GP prescribed it - I go back to the neuro next week and I will speak to him about why none of the neuro's (4) I have been to even mention it as a possible treatment.

Good Luck,

Tom (Solarisle)
solarisle
Interested
Interested

Postby marieclare on November 17th, 2003, 6:29 pm

keep us updated--I am going to call my neiro for a prescription!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwl on November 18th, 2003, 3:18 am

Tonic water (does this exist in the US?) contains quinine - might be worth having a glass of that to see if it helps. I haven't tried this as IMHO it just wouldn't taste right without the gin :-)

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Tonic water

Postby Sahti on November 28th, 2003, 2:51 am

My Neuro said something about tonic water being helpful. A few days later I was at a friend's house, who has large quanities of tonic water. It was the type you mix with Gin... looked at the ingredients, it was just sugar, carbohydrates, nothing special... it didn't help with my fascics at all. Maybe I drank the wrong type of tonic water?
"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King
Sahti

Tonic water

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management