PLEASE CLARIFY SOME QUESTIONS, PLEASE!

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

PLEASE CLARIFY SOME QUESTIONS, PLEASE!

Postby OBSESSED on November 6th, 2003, 2:30 pm

FIRST,THANK GOD AND EVERYONE HERE FOR THIS SITE. TO START OUT WITH, I AM LIKE MANY OF YOU( I THINK) TO HAVE KNOWN ME IN THE PAST, MY MIND HAS LEAD ME TO BELEIVE I HAVE BRAIN TUMORS(WHEN I HAVE HEADACHES, COLON CANCER ( WHEN I HAVE IBS)., LIVER/SPLEEN CANCER (JUST FROM A PAIN) SO I AM WELL VERSED AT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

CURRNTLY, FOR ABOUT 10 DAYS, I STARTED OUT WITH MY RIGHT FOOT ARCH TWITCHING, I DID NOT PAY MUCH ATTENTION AT FIRST BECAUSE I HAVE HAD ODD TWITCHING ON AND OFF VARIOUS PLACES FOR YEARS( USUALLY THUMB, CALF,ETC))

AFTER A FEW DAYS, I BEGAN NOTICING THAT NOT ONLY DID MY ARCH STILL TWITCH, BUT IT WOULD MAYBE LET UP A WHILE, AND I WOULD NOTICE THE LARGE MUSCLE IN THE BACK OF MY RIGHT ARM GO OFF A TIME OR TWO, THEN MAYBE MY LEFT THIGH A TIME OR TWO 15 OR 20 MINS LATER.
THEN LATE YESTERDAY MY LEFT FOOT ARCH AND SIDE JUST FOR A FEW MOMENTS. THEN AFTER EVERYTHING SETTLES DOWN, IT GOES PRIMARILY BACK INTO THE RIGHT FOOT AREA.

WENT TO MY GP, HE SAID MY REFLEXES LOOKED GOOD AND MY BLOOD WORK ALL CAME BACK NORMAL A FEW DAYS LATER.

I MENTIONED THAT I HAD HAD A HEAD COLD FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS, AND IT HAD CLEARED UP ABOUT A WEEK BEFORE THE TWITCHING...HE ASKED IF I USED A NASAL DECONGESTANT, AND I HAD...WELL OVER THE AMOUNT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE...HE MENTIONED THIS COULD ALSO SET OFF A REACTION TO THE NERVOUS SYSTEM.

MY QUESTION IS: IF I HAD MUSCLE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH ALS
WOULD IT BE IN ALL OF THESE MUSCLE GROUPS? I KEEP CHECKING MY FOOT/LEG STRENGTH ( I KNOW, I SHOULD'NT, BUT..) I CAN NOT FEEL
ANY TYPE OF STRENGTH LOSS ( BUT AFTER THE TWITCHING, MAYBE THE NEXT DAY I FEEL PAIN, KINDA LIKE CRAMPING)
I MEAN IF WHAT I READ IS ACCURATE THEN I SHOULD HAVE SOME MUSCLE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH EACH AND EVERY TWITCH AREA?
OBSESSED

Postby Nole on November 6th, 2003, 6:22 pm

You sound like you have classic BFS symptoms. BFS twitches move around to other parts of the body. From what I have learned over time, I believe that ALS twitches are in one area until that muscle dies. Also, no weakness is a great sign of a benign condition. It is very likely that your twitches could have been set of by a virus or drug reaction, many of us on this site have had the same onset of symptoms. The good thing is that this is benign and wont progress. I have had it for 1.5 years, at first I had about 1000 twitiches everywhere 24/7, but with time and relaxation I barely have them anymore. I went to docs twice, blood work normal, physical exam normal. I decide what the hell, I twitch, go one with my life, and I did, since then all's been good. We are a great support team here. Welcome to our club!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on November 6th, 2003, 6:26 pm

Forgot to mention some of us do suffer from cramping along with the twitches, it is call Benign Fascualtion Cramping Syndrome and sometimes the twitching and cramping go hand and hand. I have classic BFS with no cramping, but you will meet many others on this site with the cramping you are explaining. And stop testing your stregnth because we have had some people get injured on this site from over doing the self tests, they also just make you obsess more. You have to stop that vicious cycle of worrying before you can get better. The mind is a powerful thing!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

FOLLOW UP

Postby OBSESSED on November 7th, 2003, 1:13 pm

NOLE,

THANKS FOR THE WORDS OF WISDOM ( I MIGHT BE REPEATING MYSELF, I THOUGHT I POSTED A REPLY ALREADY BUT IT DID NOT SHOW UP.)

I MY MIND THEN, IT IS CONSIDERED A GOOD THING THEN TO HAVE THESE TWITCHES POPPING UP IN A VARIETY OF SPOTS!

ALSO, I ASSUME THAT WHEN YOU READ SOMEWHERE THAT A PERSON ONLY HAD THE TWITCHING (BEFORE THEY NEW OF ANY ASSOCIATED WEAKNESS) THAT THEY MOST LIKELY HAD IT IN ONE AREA ( IE, HAND, FOOT, LEG, ETC) AND THAT THEY DID NOT HAVE THESE REANDOM TWITCHES.??

THANKS AGAIN,
OBSESSED

Postby Twitchlots on November 7th, 2003, 11:08 pm

OBSESSED sounds like Kerri registered as a new member to me. Posts very similar to braintalk.org.
Twitchlots

Postby Nole on November 9th, 2003, 3:08 pm

Random twitches are common in BFS not ALS, and you have no weakness, so dont worry about it.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on November 10th, 2003, 3:32 am

This does definately NOT sound anything like ALS, where usually the 1st noticeable symptom of that is muscle weakness. Your problems have started the exact same way many peoples did on this board (including mine) which is after a cold, I wont say I think you have BFS, cause there are other neurological problems that can start from a cold for example Post Viral Syndrome or ME. Your best bet would be to ask your GP for a refferal to a neurologist and see what he says...if he says you're ok then id believe it and not worry about it.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management