BFS and Headaches?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS and Headaches?

Postby seamus151 on September 29th, 2003, 1:59 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Donn. I have been lurking here for about two years and I have a question...

Almost two years ago (I was 29 then) I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr Virus which is what gives you Mono. Halfway through the infection I started getting fasciuclations/twitches. It started in my calves and eventually progressed throughout my body. Of course, as everyone else I started freaking that I had ALS. I continue to look for weakness which I never got. I had an MRI and it came back clean so I assumed I had BFS.

I changed my diet to a high protein, complex carbs at a much lower intake, cut out processed foods, sodas and sweets, drank a 1/2 to a gallon of water per day, took vitamin supplements, especially B vitamins and 2000+ mg of C. I also started a very regimented weight training program. I work out four days a week. My strength has increased greatly.

After almost two years I still have the twitches but they are not nearly as intense and somtimes are non-existant. Occasionaly, I experience numbness in my feet and my left arm goes numb almost daily. My neck constantly makes popping sounds and gets stiff.

Recently, the last three months I have been experiencing daily headaches mostly in my forehead, temples and eyes. The pain intensity changes from mild to severe. My family doc thought I might have a sinus infection and gave me a course of Amoxicillin. The headaches persisited.

MY doc ordered me a second MRI of my neck and head last month and it came back clean. The radiologist did notice some sinus inflamation possibly from allerigies.

But...I am wondering if BFS can cause headaches and if so do any of you expereince headaches? Do you experience them on a daily basis?

My doc is making me a second appointment with a Neuro because he can't figure out what's wrong with my neck and what causes the popping and stiffness. Thanks for your help and I am glad that I found this website and that I am not the only one twitching my day away :lol:

Donn
seamus151

Postby Jenn311 on September 29th, 2003, 3:21 pm

Hey Seamus,

Cool name by the way...

I would check with your ENT about a chronic sinus infection. I used to get the same thing until I had a really bad sinus infection and finally broke down and got a CT scan done of my sinuses. It showed I had scarring and several other sinus-related anomolies...basically I had to go on long term anti-biotic therapy (and went through five different kinds before it would kill the infectious agent....) I would say though that your is definetly sinus related just from your symptoms.

Good luck!

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Nole on September 29th, 2003, 7:31 pm

I have not really heard of bfs causing headaches. It does sound like your sinuses. My mother suffered like you until she had a ct scan and then had sinus surgery because of scaring also. Another thing to think about, a neck problem will cause headaches also, so get those things checked thouroughly, im sure they'll find something and the right meds can cure it.
Good luck!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Thank you...one more question

Postby seamus151 on September 30th, 2003, 7:02 am

Thanks for all your replies. I have actually been headache free for two days now so maybe the combination of the antibiotics and the pollen finally dropping where I live maybe I have it under control now.

The reason I wondered if BFS caused headches because I saw it in the symptom list here on this site but hadn't heard anyone talking about it.

I am also wondering if the neck popping and stiffness has anything to do with the BFS...because what's so weird about it is that nothing ever shows up on the MRI's or XRAY but I have constant popping and stiffness in my neck. Hopefully, the Neuro will figure it out because the family MD is stumped! :shock:

I got the name "seamus" from a Pink Floyd song on the Album Meddle. It's about a hound dog and his name is...seamus :D

Donn
seamus151

Thank you...one more question

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management