bfs in the face?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

bfs in the face?

Postby wondering on October 6th, 2002, 9:46 pm

I've had bfs now for three or four years. Mostly in the calves but in the last year, they've crept up to other parts of my body occasionally. Now I've started to have mild twitches of the eyes and a few times in my cheeks or near my lips. Anyone else have that happen? I've never taken any meds for it but if it continues around the face, I'd be anxious to try something because I know they're visible.
wondering

Postby Arron on October 6th, 2002, 11:06 pm

wondering, BFS twitches appear in EVERY muscle in your body, except non-voulntary muscles, such as your heart and other muscles that are controlled without thought. With that, many of us get facial twitches from time to time. Some last for weeks in one spot or another on the face and eventually subside, just like all twitches seem to do at one point or another. They will probably flare-up again too, but if you keep in mind that it is only BFS and it is benign, then it isn't worth the time wasting thoughts on it. Also, there is no medication yet available to aleviate twitches, so even if you did get more twitching in your face area, there isn't anything you can take to stop it, or certainly we all would be taking it too. BFS comes and goes in frequency and caliber and some people try vitamins, minerals, miracle suppliments and so on with little to no effect. Yes, some people say their twitches slowed down for a while after taking suppliments or trying exercise but in reality, most people with BFS have exercise intolerance, wich increases twitching, so that kind of blows that theory all to heck. Whenever anybody calms down and can relax, most always their twitches will subside even in people not taking any kind of suppliments at all, so the placebo effect is pretty previlant with BFS. Your face twitches will pass sooner or later and probably pop-up somewhere else, which is the norm for BFS. You've had it for a long time and there's no reaon to start worrying about anything now. Keep in mind, everyone reacts to BFS differently. Some people benefit from exercise and other's don't. Some people get one thump here and another thump there, where other people get constant twitches that last for days / weeks/ months and even years in the same spot, especially the calves, fingers and eyelids. Some people hardly ever get twitches in their calves and eye lids (like myself), so like I said, everyone is different and no "one" thing has been pin pointed to stop the twitching except relaxation which is at the top of the list for the most "helpful" in making them less noticible and less frequent. Hope that helped.
Arron

Postby wondering on October 7th, 2002, 1:04 am

thx. that is helpful to hear although I haven't noticed much of a difference between the times I'm under great stress and the times I'm relaxed. But just recognizing that it's not likely to become more extreme but to be more of the same, helps a lot.
wondering

Postby SoJerseyMom on October 8th, 2002, 8:27 am

Wondering, I also get facial twitches from time to time. Lately, my right eyelid has been bad and also a "buzzing" sensation around the lips. It happens off and on for a few days, then stops and eventually shows up somewhere else. Sounds like what you have is pretty normal for BFS.
SoJerseyMom

Postby Nole on October 8th, 2002, 9:27 am

I get them all the time two. I get them alot in my left lower eyelid and around my cheeks and lips at times. They dont last for long but can be annoying. I look at it as a common symptom of BFS so dont worry about them.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wondering on October 8th, 2002, 10:11 am

thx. your comments help. I just lost my job and have an interview for another one today. I worried that my face might start dancing. now my attitude is that if it moves, and even if it's visible, no big deal.
wondering

Postby tlotoxl on October 8th, 2002, 12:21 pm

i get twitches on my face. when i get really nervous i get tongue twitches, too. that sucks when you're in the middle of saying something and your tongue starts doing tongue-fu and you have to wait a second for things to clear before continuing, and it's embarassing in public speaking situations, but whatever -- i can still talk a lot more coherently than a certain mr. bush ;)
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Face twitches? You betcha!

Postby Davey on October 9th, 2002, 5:35 pm

I get twitches with my ocular (eye) muscles, eyelids, and lips. I even get an obnoxious twitching of the small muscles in the middle ear. This is really annoying when I lay down to sleep and hear thumping in my ear. I can actually feel the minute muscles moving! Weird!!! :shock: :lol:
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Face twitches? You betcha!

Postby JudyB on October 18th, 2002, 4:56 pm

Davey wrote:I get twitches with my ocular (eye) muscles, eyelids, and lips. I even get an obnoxious twitching of the small muscles in the middle ear. This is really annoying when I lay down to sleep and hear thumping in my ear. I can actually feel the minute muscles moving! Weird!!! :shock: :lol:

Davey - I have been getting the same thing for about 2-3 years now. It sometimes drives me crazy and I notice it's more prevalent when I'm tired or very stressed out. I have been getting really concerned about it lately since my friend has recently been getting tongue tremorrs and her doctors are testing her for ALS. Needless to say, i've been really worried. I'm so glad someone else gets the same thing. Have you gone to a neurologist for this? I've been putting it off cuz I've worried about tumors or something. I know, stupid. I work in the medical field no less. The thumping in my ears made me think it may have been something to do with my ears but i'm pretty convinced it's from stress - or possibly though i hate to admit it.... way too much time spent on the computer!
JudyB

Re: Face twitches? You betcha!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management