I need help

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I need help

Postby kit on July 24th, 2007, 11:24 am

Hey guys, I have a question and I am not even sure that I want an answer to it because I am afraid that the response will be that none of you have experienced this.

It seems I may have strained my rib area a few weeks ago, at any rate over the last week I am having nagging achey pain along my spine by the shoulder blade, in the shoulder blade and over my ribs but only my my left side. It makes it nearly impossible to sleep as the area gets stiff and achey. I have noticed some twitching in the arms - which is a little odd since I twitch mostly in my legs. My doc says it's a muscle strain, but I am having a tough time accepting that. I just feel that it should be gone by now and it is interfering with everything I need to do. There are some other issues going on in my life right now adding to the stress. So, have any of you ever had anything like this associated with the BFS?

Thanks a bunch
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby jmontan27 on July 24th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Hi Kit, sorry you're having a tough time at the moment.

I haven't had exactly what you are describing, but I have had several incidences involving nerves and muscles that have taken AGES to heal - far longer than my GP / medical textbooks state. For example, I had sciatica constantly for two years and the pain nearly drove me insane at times.

Incidentally, I know you have probably considered other causes, but could it be a chest infection? I know you'd probably have other symptoms too, but a friend of mine had similar symptoms and after going back to the GPs umpteen times, she finally had a chest x-ray that showed she had pleurisy. The twitches in your arms are likely not to be related to this at all - probably just more random BFS twitching.

Take care
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby terry in sf on July 24th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Not me, but how coincidental - this sounds exactly like pain my husband is having right now. He's asked me to rub his back a few times and that's the exact area. He thinks it's from lifting weights, and also from coughing from a cold we've both had for the past 2-3 weeks.

I am, however, dealing with soreness along the backs of my upper arms. I have no idea why I'm sore there but it's in both arms and started at the same time. I must have hoisted something? Or maybe this syndrome can cause random muscle aches & pains. hmm.
terry in sf
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitchmebaby on July 24th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Sorry Kit, nothing like that here. My back pain predates all this BFS but is primarily lumbar.

You're not supposed to be asking these questions, you are our rock :wink: :lol:
twitchmebaby
Saint
Saint

Postby k9ck on July 24th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Kit,

I get the nagging toothache nerve pain to my spine right next to the shoulder blade. Actually between spine and shoulder blade. I had MRI done they said it is due to cervical discs bulging. I get twitching in the arm too, but not sure it is associated because I get the random twitches everywhere. If it was a strained muscle, I would think you would associate it with an incident. As you know stress make your entire body ache and twitch. Hope you feel better soon.

Terri
k9ck
Hero
Hero

Postby dtmguy on July 24th, 2007, 3:36 pm

If I can imagine the pain properly, yes, I've had this roughly paralleling my BFS. My GP called it an intracostal muscle strain. When an episode arises (for no apparent reason), it feels like I took a golf ball to the back under my shoulder blade. God help me if I have this and then have to sneeze--the pain goes all the way to my findertips on my right side...

-Dave
dtmguy
Hero
Hero

Postby lotsoftwitch on July 24th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Hi Kit,

I often get a nagging pain along the right side of my neck and down in between my shoulder blade and spine. Sometimes it's only between the shoulder blade and spine. Also at times an odd cold feeling on the spine. Can be pretty uncomfortable. I think mine is stress/BFS related, can also feel stiffness/strain in the backs of my hands at times when its in the other areas.

The region in your back that you're describing is prone to muscle strain. Also, stress can really impact muscles from your neck down to the shoulder blades. I've had muscle strain in my lat near the arm pit right near my lymph nodes and of course thought something was wrong with my lymph nodes, but later discovered it was truly pain in the muscle.

What I'm getting at...finally, is not to worry because muscle strain/tension can have the type of feeling you describe. And I don't know about others, but for me muscle tension has been a big part of BFS.
lotsoftwitch
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kit on July 24th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I guess this is a matter of "physician heal theyself". I know better but things just got away from me.
Thanks again, you are all wonderful!
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on July 24th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Hi Kit,
I used to FREQUENTLY go to the ER with chest pain. It was so severe, I was always convinced I was having a heart attack, though my enzymes and ekg's were always fine. It was classic costochondritis.

It does not go away entirely, I've had recurrences of it that last for months, and in the same spots you are describing.

Also-have you been worked up for Coxsackie B? It was definitely the precursor to MY bfs, and another gal, Emma from England.

It can cause pleurodynia, (Bornholm's disease,) and other potential neurological sequelae.

These kinds of radiating pains can also be caused by Thoracic outlet syndrome.

Oh, and YES, I've certainly had lots of twitching intercostal muscles, as well as back muscles. No worries, there.

Hope this helps,
Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby akeurogh on July 24th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Hey Kit,

I have definately had that type of pain even prior to BFS. Sometimes it is a sharp stabbing pain possibly related to costochondritis sometimes it is a dull pain. I have even gotten it right when I wake up in the morning (probably because I slept a specific way). You shouldn't look into it much. I am sure it is a muscle strain. One thing I have realized post BFS is that my muscles get injured or sore very fast and take a long time to heal (twitch along the way). Just this week my butt muscles and thigh muscles ache from walking up 10 flights of stairs (elevator was out of order) even though I have lived in my building the last two years and never before had a problem
akeurogh

Similar experience, but my symptoms occur on my R shoulder

Postby mextwitcher on July 26th, 2007, 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your stress. I am pretty sure it is BFS related. I have occasional soreness on my shoulder area to the point where perceived weakness is presented. At times I feel I cannot pick up my right arm because of soreness, but the very next day my r arm feels good again. Today I thought I was loosing it because my r arm and shoulder felt extremely weak where I had difficulty carring shopping bags. My left arm also felt so weak to the point where I had trouble lifting my water bottle. My entire body was shaking and I was twitching everywhere. I have to agree that there are more difficult days than good day since having these symptoms. Hang in there strong.

Take care
mextwitcher

Postby Ginlyn on July 26th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Kit,

Don't know if this is any help, but a year and 1/2 ago I was in a motorcycle accident and fractured four ribs. The doc said that they would be healed in about 4-6 weeks. Six months later, I was still having sharp pain.

My doc said it wasn't my ribs causing the pain, but the strain on the muscles in between the ribs (does that make sense?) As far as healing, it took almost a year for my muscles to heal in that area. Also, I was having a severe jabbing pain at the top of my thighs (consequently when my thigh began twitching). The pain would be there when I walked. (You can even read some of my old posts regarding this pain). After a year, it finally went away. I still don't know what caused it to this day. My doc said muscle tears/strain can take a really long time to heal.

Hope this helps.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby DoubleD on July 28th, 2007, 9:28 am

Hey Kit,

Please don't ever feel that you can't ask a question about something. I hope you are not taking on the burden of being "our rock". I know twitchmebaby meant no offense, however I wonder if you feel your role is to help only around here. It isn't. Bfs is what it is, scary for most and bothersome for all. I get caught up in being a "veteren twitcher" and don't ask questions that are bothering me. I do realize I should take a different role here and for the most part I think I do. Anyways don't feel the burden of being superwoman. Let this place be a place of comfort to you.

By the way I get this type of pain often. In my case it is a rib that is out. The pain goes all the way thru from front to back. It can happen on my right side or left. And a rib in front. It is actually the muscle that forces the rib out of whack. It can throw your neck off which can effect your arm and rest of body. When this happens I see my chiro and he puts it back in.

Hope I was of help.

DD
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby twitchmebaby on July 28th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Kit knows I was being sarcastic. We were talking privately about this. That said I know what you are saying. Right now my back is twitching in a weird way it never has but I have stopped the "do you get this" questions myself as best as possible. Because I know someone probably has had this so why ask.

We are in the transition phase of newbie to acceptance. How long that takes and by what method acceptance will occur is going to be different for everyone.

So does your back twitch, or does your thigh virbrate, what about a pimple on your nose, is this common :wink:
twitchmebaby
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on July 28th, 2007, 6:12 pm

OMG you have a PIMPLE on your NOSE?????

Seriously, you are in DEEP trouble now.

And, if you have a pimple on your butt, even more so. :wink:

It's funny, I woke up this morning, and couldn't open my left eye. Try and struggle as I might, it seemed stuck shut. It was the second time this had occured in my left eye in a week, and I started to seriously get freaked. :shock:

I thought, "maybe I have a brain tumor" or something, and went to the mirror to see if the eye was opening and closing evenly and symmetrically. :roll: I started to plummet down the old health anxiety pit, self-testing, self-diagnosing, yada yada yada.

I finally concluded that there was just some gunk gluing the eye shut, and that was all it was. Last I read, no one has dropped dead from having a crusty eye. :oops: But none of us are immune to the fear and dread, are we?

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics