Meat; Magnets

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Meat; Magnets

Postby Mi-Young on September 14th, 2003, 9:11 pm

I tried eliminating meat from my diet for several weeks and found that the twitching seemed to have lessened. I read that cooked meat is devoid of enzymes and putrefies in the body. Also, like someone else on the forum said, it contains lots of antibiotics, hormones, and preservatives. I supplemented my diet with raw fish (sashimi) and soy protein powder instead of cooked meat. Who knows if eliminating meat really works, but it seems worth a try. If humans' teeth are indicative of herbivorous diet, perhaps we are not genetically capable of thriving on lots of meat, especially cooked meat which is even more unhealthy.
A separate question--how about magnet therapy? Has anyone tried that with any success?
Mi-Young
Interested
Interested

magnet therapy

Postby Renae on September 15th, 2003, 9:50 am

Hi there-

I tried a magnetic sleep system which included a matress pad, blanket, pillow & even some magnetic insoles for my shoes. I know that this has been very helpful for some people, but unfortunately it didn't help me personally. But most dealers of these magnetic aids will allow you to try things out before you purchase them, which is nice. And, like I said, I know many people personally who have found a lot of benefit in this type of thing. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks,
Renae :)
Renae

Postby fastpage on September 15th, 2003, 9:54 am

Don't take this wrong. I'm not trying to be mean or tactless but in my humble opinion-ONLY in California (no offense Arron). What about the pollution-heavy metals, parasites etc. in raw fish? Reasonable amounts of lean meat are not only harmless but important in any diet. If you want to substitute fish for chicken, mutton, lean beef and pork-fine. Raw doesn't appeal to me (and is risky, I think) but to each their own. A strict vegetarian diet however makes it very difficult to obtain certain nutrients. I was on a vegetarian diet for over a year. The only benefit I found was that I did loose some weight.

Our teeth are not (despite all the vegan and PETA literature to the contrary) indicative of a herbivorous past. Evidence suggests that for most of our history our diets were based much more on meat than plants. For example, 40,000 years ago Cro-Magnon man was not eating steamed asparagus and pita bread (or PETA bread). To quote one handy reference he "lived primarily on large game such as horses, deer and oxen which he killed in abundance" (and cooked, by the way). However the meat they were eating was much leaner in the form of wild game, (and more recently range-raised critters), which is probably healthier than a nice rib-eye steak is today. The "putrefying in the body stuff" is, pardon the expression, balogna. Ask any QUALIFIED MD or gastroenterologist. It does sell a lot of systemic "cleansers" and other junk that americans buy by the bushel. (Colonic, anyone?)

My neurologist, in fact, asked if I was vegetarian as he was going to suggest eating more protein if I was. I have nothing against vegetarians if that trips your trigger but I get impatient with the suggestion that it is the "natural" diet for homo sapiens. I think the Spartan philosophy of all things in moderation is best when it somes to questions of diet, supplements etc.

As for magnets, they may have one possible benefit-the placebo effect (which is a real benefit when it occurs and may actually work for many on this board).
fastpage

Postby marieclare on September 18th, 2003, 6:24 pm

I AM a vegetarian and I thought eating meat might help--i just can't stomach the thought--i am loading up on other proteins--have NOT noticed any difference though---I am cutting back on carbs now to see if THAT helps!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby fastpage on September 19th, 2003, 8:58 am

That's the funny part of this syndrome. As you may have noticed, some of us were on the Atkins diet for several months before the BFS appeared. I never ate more then 30 grams of carbs a day for over three months until I noticed the twitching. I actually thought the absence of carbs might have caused the problem. Let us know if you see any change.
fastpage

Postby garym on September 19th, 2003, 9:43 am

I was also on the Atkins diet for about 3-4 months prior to my first twitches. I don't think it is related, but at the time i did.

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management