interesting article

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

interesting article

Postby garym on September 8th, 2003, 2:10 pm

I found this article interesting. It sort of deals with one of the potential causes my neuro discussed with me. The part at the very end dealing with potassium channel blockers is similar to what the neuro told me on my first visit. Hope it helps someone out there. http://www.everybody.co.nz/research/neuro_earlgrey.htm

Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on September 8th, 2003, 2:25 pm

Very interesting Gary! Thanks for sharing. It just goes to show there could be any number of causes for this condition....I'll just be sure to stay away from the Earl Gray tea so as not to exacerbate the problems :wink: ! (yeah like I'd drink that stuff!)

Cheers,
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on September 8th, 2003, 2:51 pm

not a whole lot of hot tea drinking going on here in Texas! What i thought was interesting was the part about potasium channel blockers and how that can cause twitching.

By the way, what part of cen tex are you from? I went to school in good ole waco. That was fun!

Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on September 8th, 2003, 3:12 pm

Waco, eh? Did you know David Koresh? j/k...

I live in New Braunfels. Also known as Schlitterbahn USA. What part of Houston do you live in?

Interesting point about the K-channel blockers...wish I knew more about the nervous system.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby jcavan4125 on September 8th, 2003, 4:46 pm

DWL has brought up this point before regarding potassium channel blockade and he referenced an article from the publication Muscle and Nerve Volume 26 Pgs. 702-707 Nov. 1 2002 for anyone that is interested. This seems to be the issue with BFS, although the blocker appears to be autoantibodies rather than bergapten as in the case with the Earl Grey Tea. I agree with Jenn311, it won't be hard for me to avoid Earl Grey Tea. The ultimate cure will probably come in the form of an agent that either neutralizes or removes the antibodies.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on September 8th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Jenn,

Didn't know D Koresh, but I was going to school at BU when that was going on. It was pretty weird in waco back then. Now, I live in Sugar Land.

New Braunfels is a great little town (not so little anymore, right). I've spent a lot of time floating down the river, but I've never been to Schlitterbahn. They probably didn't let drunk college kids in :twisted: !

Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on September 8th, 2003, 8:01 pm

LOL Gary....

Believe it or not, they DO let drunk college kids in! I worked the front gates when I was in high school...saw plenty that would fit that description. Floating the river is much, much cheaper though. And less stressful. Did you know that Schlitterbahn was voted best water park in the USA? Wurstfest at the end of October is a lot of fun, too. But there again....LOTS of drunk college kids (I can't believe I am at the point I think of collegians as kids. YIKES!) Actually, everyone at Wurstfest is drunk.

Joe...

You always post the most interesting stuff. I have never heard the theory of the K-channels being blocked by antibodies. That would mean that BFS really was an autoimmune disorder. Then why doesn't everybodies' ANA test come back positive? Mine wasn't, but I've heard of others whose have. I wonder if plasmapheresis would work to clear out those antibodies....

Maybe if I get time I'll look up that article. Not sure I would understand it...!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby jcavan4125 on September 9th, 2003, 6:41 am

Hi,
There's lots of different antibodies Jenn; ANA is a test that detects antinuclear antibodies... and you're right ANA is often positive in alot of autoimmune diseases, but not all. In the case of potassium channel blockade there are antibodies that are specific to the potassium channels of the periperal nerve. This would not affect the nucleus of the cell and hence no antinuclear antibodies. Autoimmune simply means that you are producing antibodies to "you" or at least a portion of you. In this case against the potassium channels. This can be triggered by different things,... chemicals, infection, and probably alot of other things that we are not even aware of yet.
In regard to plasmaphoresis, I've read where neurologists out of Cleveland Clinic have been using that with some success. They were using it in severe cases where medications (anti-siezure drugs and tranquilizers such as neurontin and xanax) were not making a dent in the symptoms. This would be reserved for the most symptomatic patients with almost non-stop twitching. Luckily, I seem to fit into the mild end of the spectrum based on the number of twitches that some folks here on the board report.
Hey, if it turns out that the problem is simply antibodies (and medicine is rarely simple), we might can quantify the problem by "twitch load". Patients above a certain threshold of twitches per day would qualify for plasmaphoresis. Undoubtably though the insurance companies would demand that an unbiased third party actually count the number of twitches in a day before they would approve treatment...LOL.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on September 9th, 2003, 7:31 am

Great info Joe...are you some kind of doctor or scientist? I didn't know that ANA wasn't a test for all kinds of auto-immune disorders! Learn something new everyday!

Take care..Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management