med students and bfs

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

med students and bfs

Postby erika on September 7th, 2003, 12:40 am

Here is a quick bit of interesting trivia that helps me feel better sometimes.

One of my neuros told me that prior to the last like ten years(ie, before the internet), the ONLY patients he ever saw complaining about fascics were medical students. I guess they learned about ALS in their course studies, and then started twitching and then freaked.

kind of funny. and also assuring. the internet has turned us all into medical students.
erika

Postby Brian_B on September 7th, 2003, 1:18 am

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on September 8th, 2003, 1:22 am

You are right Erika. We are like medical students (after neurology lesson) right now. Our twitches don't vanish and they are much worse, because we know too much about them. But from the other side I don't think it's the only reason.
regards
M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby fastpage on September 8th, 2003, 9:40 am

I think our twitches seem worse because we notice them-the old hypersensitivity to our own bodies. I know in my case that it was not anxiety or worry or hypochondira that brought on the twitches. I was at one of the most contented points in my life except for a few medical problems my wife had. I had not even been to a Dr. in 10 years except for an annual physical. I was sitting in my Lazy Boy one day and noticed my calves twitching. I have no idea how long it had been going on before I noticed it but there is something going on here with a physical origin.
fastpage

Postby Arron on September 8th, 2003, 10:48 am

I'm with fastpage on that one too. Mine started the same way. Was calm, no problems, no anxieties or anything and one day while sitting at the computer, my thumb started to twitch and hold, then release. It wasn't until a few days later (a week probably?) when I had the misfortune of looking up "twitches" in some medical manuals I had when I freaked-out and totally lost it. Although there's no doubt, that stress and anxiety FEED this stuff.
Arron

[b]anxiety equals adventure[/b]

Postby rar on September 9th, 2003, 1:13 pm

My latest theory about anxiety is that we get it whether we want it or not. Life is supposed to have times of fear, ideally as adventures. If our life is perfect and relaxing, perhaps a deeper part of us gets bored and generates anxiety, either by creating real problems, or causing us to be hypersensitive to real or imagined problems. We all crave safety and comfort, however true comfort and safety is actually death, and we stop growing whenever we reach a comfort zone.

Another thing about unreasonable anxiety is that it may be trying to tell us something. I've had twitching for more than 20 years, most of my life it hasn't bothered me, but in the last year it got worse and I started obsessing about it. This led to a cascade of neurotic worry and over-thinking. I knew it was stupid to worry, but I couldn't stop. I started to reason that I must be really unhappy for me to waste so much time worrying about stupid things. I eventually decided that I needed to make big changes in my life. I moved across the ocean from my favorite place in the world to go to school here in Washington. This actually has helped quite a bit, even though I am still kind of neurotic. I am starting to realize more and more how I've lost my dreams, and this, along with the subconscious drive to break out of comfort zones, seems to be the basis for my whole anxiety thing.
rar

[b]anxiety equals adventure[/b]

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics