Fatigue

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fatigue

Postby Pole on August 21st, 2003, 2:53 am

OK, I can accept that I twich. I can live with that. But I can't accept muscle fatigue - that's what I worry about now.

I feel muscle fatigue in legs while climbing stairs. I feel that I could climb even on 10th floor (I live on 4th - no lift) but my legs are very tired during and just after climbing.
The same with hands - when I hold my arms up for a moment (reading a newspaper or holding something up) I feel that my arm become tired very quickly.
And sometimes I feel the same fatigue in my jaws during eating.

This fatigue is not strong enough to make me not doing something what I want to do but is very obvious to me. I think it's not normal.

How many of you have the same?

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on August 21st, 2003, 3:08 am

Marcin,

I get exactly the same. My legs feel very tired when I walk up even one flight of stairs. I cleaned out our garage at the weekend and all my muscles felt very tired for a few days afterwards. Muscle pains are also very frequent.

These are all common symptoms and point to bfs rather than anything more sinister. If you have a look at the Mayo clinic paper it's mentioned as a symptom.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on August 21st, 2003, 3:19 am

Thanks David, I know that might be a BFS symptom, but I know also that it may be...you know what.
regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on August 21st, 2003, 4:21 am

Muscle fatigue can be a symptom of many neurological diseases and many non neurological diseases. In ALS I believe its a very early sign and muscle weakness follows it rather quickly, however things like MS, ME, BFS, Fibro etc can all cause muscle faitgue along with the 99% common cause of it...depression/anxiety
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on August 21st, 2003, 4:37 am

Yeah, I also think (and hope) that is due to anxiety. But when will it end? I have had this fatigue for almost 5 months.
regards
M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on August 21st, 2003, 5:08 am

Marcin,

I'm at 13 months and just grateful it's not als. It may never end.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on August 21st, 2003, 6:55 am

Yep, I have the same kind of activity intolerance. But like David, I am glad it is not ALS.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby tlotoxl on August 21st, 2003, 7:07 am

I have this intolerance. I feel that it comes and goes and changes muscle groups over time. One day my arms will tire quickly, another day it will be my legs. Still, all my muscles fatigue more easily than they used to.

When will it end? I'm hoping it goes away on its own, but if it doesn't then I'm expecting science to cure it or make me a new body by the year 2023 (at the very latest!) ;)
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

twitching and terrified

Postby rosa on August 21st, 2003, 9:45 am

Hi all,
I have same thing going on here with me. I am twitching for almost 4 months - all over my body. Started with right eye and then just spread all over. My twitches are kind of short and not always visible. Besides this I have aches in my hands and feet and they are cold very often, as well as fatigue. I am same as some of you - I can walk to the 10th floor, but muscle get so tired. Same with my arms. I am not dropping things and can still do everything I was able to do before. My neck is sore if I sit for a long time without head support. Besides this I have tingling and pins and needles in my hands, feet, legs, face and neck - sometimes really really bad. It gets to the point where I feel I have needle stick in muscle and have to massage it to make it go away. My throat is inflamed and sore for more than 2 months now (ENT doc confirmed but no diagnoses). During my last neuro exam my doc was concerned about my hand reflexes. Both my thumbs jumped more than he thinks is normal. I have EMG&NCV scheduled on September 4 and going nuts right now. I am so terrified of "you all know what", that I am barely able to go through the day. I want to have these tests done asap, but at the same time I am so afraid they can come back abnormal. What will I do then?
Rose
rosa
Interested
Interested

Postby DanielDK on August 21st, 2003, 1:08 pm

Hi Rosa!

Welcome on board!

I´m Daniel, 18 yrs old, I´ve been twitching for about 8 months now. I´ve experienced exactly the same symptoms as you - as have all of us in here!!!

YOU ARE JUST FINE AND HEALTHY!!! I dont even have the slightest doubt in my mind. As a matter of fact, YOU are just fine, and all of US are just fine too! This thing is 99,99% mental, and that is definately the worst part of being a "twitcher"...But hey - most likely your twitching will sease sometime in the foreseeable future!

Rosa - Just relax, enjoy your life and family, and I wish you the best of luck in your forthcoming long and healthy life!

Best of everything,

Daniel
DanielDK

thanks!

Postby rosa on August 21st, 2003, 6:37 pm

Thanks Daniel for welcoming me here. I wish I was so sure as you are. I know I have to be more optimistic, but it is hard. Like I am talking with people and just suddenly my lip or chin starts twiching - I get upset as it reminds me that there might be something wrong me.
rosa
Interested
Interested

Postby tlotoxl on August 21st, 2003, 11:55 pm

I've had tongue twitches since I was 16, but they were generally pretty rare Then, after this whole BFS thing really started, I had to make a presentation (well, just read from the text) in Japanese in a class on interface technologies. I had trouble reading my tongue was spazzing out so much the whole time. Of course, the more my tongue twitched the more I'd freak out and sweat, and it was really pretty horrible. I know how twitches can interfere with one's ability to talk, but its the ensuing stress that really does me in ;)
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwl on August 22nd, 2003, 12:16 am

Rosa,

I've had some quite persistent twitching of my tongue and lips for about 4-5 months now. The lip twitching seems to be lessening now. My neuro said he has NEVER seen facial twitching in als.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Hello

Postby John on August 24th, 2003, 9:48 am

Hello ,Rosa
I am 39 and have been twitching for 10 months now .I also had an inflamed and sore throat for about six weeks when this all started with me. The worring and stress will just make everything worse allthough we have all been there, Everything will be just fine and we will be thinking of you .

John
John

Postby rosa on August 24th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Thanks guys! This is the only place where I find people that know what I am going through. I also have facial muscle fatigue. Does anybody experience this? Sometimes I feel my facial musles get tired after talking? Once they started shaking and it scared the hell out of me.
rosa
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management