One of those twitchy, doubting days

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

One of those twitchy, doubting days

Postby SusanSid on September 29th, 2002, 2:30 am

Hi my BFSers,
I had one of those "crazy days" where you doubt everything in regards to our symptoms. I made the big mistake of looking at other websites....hummmm, ALS came up (gee, some surprise) and one thing led to the other to the other and by the time I was ready to go to bed last night I was sure I was seriously ill with an undiagnosed neurological disease. I DID NOT practice what I preach....TMF ....too much information, in all the wrong places.
My mind was racing all day about my impending death, as I was sure I suddenly didn't fit the BFS description. We had relatives from out of town all day and tonight, so I had to be "on" all day. God, I hate the worry that creeps up with the fasciculations. And guess what, I twitched like crazy all day.
Just venting, I can't share this with others, they all think I'm fine and say I worry too much, which I do. :(
Do any of you get this nutty feeling at times that shakes the foundation you've been working so hard to build?
Just feeling a bit unsure. Thanks for listening. I love all of your posts, they are so helpful to me.
Sue :(
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

I hear ya

Postby Jeff on September 30th, 2002, 10:54 am

After almost 6 months of this bfs stuff I was thinking myself over the anxiety. Well, about two weeks ago I had a rough day/night thinking the very same things you mention. It's that whole pattern of "what if" thinking... what if it is slow moving? what if it is MS? After one day of that I re-focused and tried to forget about it and keep living. We all have our bad days, nothing to get concerned about. Get back on that positive horse and have a great day today to make up for it!
Jeff
Interested
Interested

Postby Arron on September 30th, 2002, 11:04 am

Hey Susan, like Jeff said, we too get "those days" and they really stink. It is exactly as you say, knowing a little too much can hurt a whole lot. I still get concerned about MS myself and with every strange feeling I get, it starts the mind wondering-off into places I'd rather it didn't go. That's a good time for a small dose of Ativan or whatever you take to help keep you calm and keep your anxieties in control. If you don't have any, please go talk to your doctor. They can be a BIG help when needed. There's no reason to go through life being scared and on edge. If a med can help you to overcome that as a temporary basis and get you feeling normal again, I am all for it. Hang in there girl. You are not alone and we ALL have those moments, even after all this time with it, some of us just can't let-go of some of the worry. I think you'll be OK :)
Arron

Postby Nole on September 30th, 2002, 12:31 pm

I agree we all have those days when we think to much. I do not agree though that taking meds you may not need are the answer. I think you can use them as a crutch at times and they can become addictive. I am reading a very good book, How to stop Worry About Your Health and Live Your Life, it is available at barnesandnoble.com I have found it to work very well, and I do have days also when I worry to much, but watch your diet (no caffiene, sweets, or any other stimulants), get some rest, keep stress levels down, and think positive. I know it is hard at times but it really does work, best of luck!!!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SusanSid on October 1st, 2002, 1:41 am

Thanks everyone, for your support. I was so happy :) when you were there to cheer me up. I tend to not admit when I'm the one having problems. I do have xanax for "those times", and am careful not to use them too much...so I don't run out and have any when I really need them. They do help that crazy thinking when nothing else works.
I think I'll try that book you mentioned Nole, it sounds right up my alley.
THanks everyone for your support.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Anxiety

Postby Davidd on October 1st, 2002, 8:42 am

I haven't heard of the book before, but I am about to go order it right now! Thanks for the recommendation... :)

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nigel555 on October 4th, 2002, 2:41 pm

I'm also having one of them crazy days, I been feeling pretty good the last few weeks thanks to Arron but today I thumb started to twitch for about 30 mins and that was it I hit the panic buttom and the worry all comes flowing back :(

I would love to know just how offer you all get twitching fingers or thumbs? mines about once every 3-4 weeks and when it comes I always have a crazy day.

I would love to know why our fingers and body twitch if any one can enlighten me please

Best wishes to all

Nigel
Nigel555

Postby SusanSid on October 6th, 2002, 11:47 pm

I have thumb twitching at times too, Nigel. It does make me hit the panic button too. I find it happens more when my hands/arms are tired from work, even the computer. Also, I find that a lot of water, keeping hydrating, helps. It always goes away on it's own.
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on October 7th, 2002, 4:26 pm

Nigel, the norm for BFS and twitching is pretty much... there is no norm :roll: Other than the fact that we all twitch, some are more often than others. I for one, almost never get twitches in my calves but they are non-stop somewhere else on my body at any given time. It may be my thumb, my thigh, my lips, inside my stomach, my temples, behind my ear, inside my elbow, my butt cheek or anywhere. Eithe rone at a time or 3 or 4 places all at once. You just never know. The twitches most everyone gets are all different in caliber, such as some are so small and fine that at times you might happen to look at your arm (or finger or where ever) and see it slightly rippling, but not feel it. Other times they are really fast and cause a "buzzing" feeling while other times you might feel one big thump and then it's gone. Sometimes you may get the finger that moves - holds in place - and then releases and with BFS fingers can wiggle, jump, vibrate and do all sorts of things for less than a second to lasting for weeks and even months. It all just depends, so please don't worry about your fingers moving. It will pass sooner or later and remember, this is BENIGN and has NOTHING to do with ALS, nor is that even a sign or the same kind of twitching that goes along with ALS. I can look at my fingers at any given time and one or more of them are either slightly wiggling or moving pretty good with a wiggle here and a thump there... that's the only "norm" to this stuff.... there is no norm.
Arron

Postby Nigel555 on October 7th, 2002, 11:21 pm

Thanks Arron and Sue for taking the time to reply to my post

Nigel
Nigel555

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group