new member-my symptom management

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

new member-my symptom management

Postby marieclare on August 15th, 2003, 10:31 am

I stumbled on this forum after six years of dealing with BFS---My experiences are so similar to everyone else's here--especially Aarons...it actually makes me feel so much better to know I am not the only one!! Anyway--I wont go into detail about my experiences but after 5 years of not seeing any more doctors--the first year i saw everyone and had all tests done!!--i found a holistic neurologist who is just fantastic---she has suggested yoga 9 I am doing it and it is great), meditation, relaxation tapes, nutrtional counseling ( I am a vegetarain)--Anyway--she also suggested I take the supplement Taurine--it is an amino acid--research it--it has great benefits--I have been on it for two weeks now and I think i am niticing some improvements---I will be very cautious in saying this as I have tried everything!!! I will not take meds as i tried that in the first year and it was disasterous!!!!! Anyway--just wanted o mention the Taurine..........I am so tired of letting this BFS rule my life--I am fighting back and this forum helps so much!!!
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on August 15th, 2003, 1:40 pm

Hey Marieclare...

Thanks for the info....it's great to hear about anything new we can try. There are some drinks ( http://www.sobebev.com ) you can buy at grocery stores and if not there, health food stores that have Taurine in them. And they are muy delicioso! I used to drink them when I had a job. I never realized that Taurine could help the twitches...

Welcome to the forum :lol: !

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

jen

Postby marieclare on August 15th, 2003, 5:31 pm

I did see those drinks with taurine in them--they just have alot of sugar --My neuro--my best friend now!!--says that anyone with BFS should watch their sugar intake---this whole syndrome is so ridiculous--i used to be so normal!!!
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on August 15th, 2003, 9:25 pm

Wow,

I've never heard that one either. What effect does sugar have on BFS? I know it's bad for the body in general, But it's actually one of the main consituents of my diet presently. (Sad...I know.)

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Brian_B on August 15th, 2003, 10:56 pm

well Jenn, consider that caffeine also has an effect on BFS right? most likely because it is in essence a stimulant. Sugar would also fall under that same category.

like you though I would have a hard time giving up sugar because I like soda and candy too much.
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on August 16th, 2003, 9:53 am

i could be off on this one, but i certainly wouldn't replace sugar with nutrasweet or othe artificial sweetners; sugar may not be good for us, but nutrasweet is probably actually bad for the brain and the rest of the other articial sweetners are still largely untested.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby marieclare on August 16th, 2003, 7:02 pm

Sugar IS a stimulant--i have cut back drastically as I LOVE it---I also heard that aspertame/nutrasweet is also NOT good for anyone let alone BFS people---I have given it all up--caffeine (including chocolate), aspertame , alcohol etc. So.....i know I am probably hoping too much but the Taurine SEEMS to still be helping me---twitching IS less and I feel a little calmer...although my toe twitched and i almost became NOT calm for a second....... I go back to my neuro in six weeks so she can see if Taurine worked (and other lifestyle changes) and to get more advice!! I will beat this.
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DanielDK on August 17th, 2003, 8:55 am

Chocolate, candy, Snickers, Oreo´s, Coca-Cola, Fanta, danish pastry, Cake, Pancakes, Waffles, ice cream, Syrup, Brownies, Ben & Jerry´s Chocolate Chunk.....

DO WE REALLY WANT TO BE WITHOUT SUGAR?????????!!!!!!!!

Haha......hugs from Daniel.
DanielDK

Postby marieclare on August 17th, 2003, 3:44 pm

Let me see---sugar or twitching really bad---not a choice for me--I'll cut way back on sugar and see what happens!!! or maybe I should just dorwn my sorrows in sugar!!!!
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management