????????????

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

????????????

Postby Pole on August 13th, 2003, 8:26 am

What is the truth about initial symptoms of ALS? I've visited ALSA website and you know what? They say that only 60 % PALS present with weakness as first sign! They also said that patients often visit doctors due to muscle twiching and/or cramping and abnormal fatigue.

So, what is the truth about this F_U_C_K_I_N_G disease?

M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Re: ????????????

Postby KERRI on August 13th, 2003, 8:34 am

Pole wrote:What is the truth about initial symptoms of ALS? I've visited ALSA website and you know what? They say that only 60 % PALS present with weakness as first sign! They also said that patients often visit doctors due to muscle twiching and/or cramping and abnormal fatigue.

So, what is the truth about this F_U_C_K_I_N_G disease?

M.

That must be the other 40 percent.
You also forgot the slurred speach or trouble swallowing.
Man you are getting like me, watch it.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on August 13th, 2003, 8:38 am

They mean weakness in limb or bulbar area is 60%.
M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

POLE STOP

Postby KERRI on August 13th, 2003, 8:48 am

Pole wrote:They mean weakness in limb or bulbar area is 60%.
M.

Pole,
I just went over to ALSA and looked, it says that weakness is the HALLMARK 60 percent of the cases present with weakness. There may be others symptoms, dropping this, tripping and falling, slurred speach or difficulty projecting voice and cramping, twitching as well.

Kerri

Stop you are getting like me, you know that weakness is the hallmark but there are cases in which patients do not notice weakness, but the neuro exam will reflect it in most cases.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby tlotoxl on August 13th, 2003, 10:52 am

Good for you, Kerri -- you're a new found voice of reason!
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwl on August 13th, 2003, 1:50 pm

Marcin,

I hate to see you torturing yourself like this. Supposing you knew someone who had headaches and they saw several neuros. All their tests for things like brain tumours were negative and all the neuros told this person that they had stress-related headaches.

This person then gets so worried that they have a brain tumour that they start visiting websites and discussion forums run by people who have brain tumours instead of sticking to sites run by people who have stress-related headaches. What would you advise this person to do?

There's no point visiting those scary als sites because you DON'T HAVE ALS - you have bfs. So if you have a rule that you stick to this site and stay away from scary als sites then you won't be so terrified. This site has all the info you need!

It's much more straightforward for a neuro to tell if someone does NOT have als compared to confirming the diagnosis if they DO have it. For those who do turn out to have als, the neuro can almost always tell straight away that something is wrong. It might take a long time to confirm the exact diagnosis, but they are not in the business of telling people they do not have something when there is a chance that they might.

I hope that this helps,

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on August 13th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Excellent post David!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby jcavan4125 on August 13th, 2003, 7:59 pm

I agree with David. It is easy to look at a group of symptoms and come up with the wrong conclusion. The whole reason you go to a doctor is so he or she will look at your symptoms and come up with the correct diagnosis!
For example, both strep throat and mononucleosis causes sore throat and fever. Yet one is a virus and one is a bacteria. two completely different things. A doctor can examine you and distinguish between the two by looking at the differences not the similarities.
BFS and ALS can both have fasciculations; but only ALS has weakness, atrophy and hyperreflexia.
I know it is hard, but you have to trust your Doctor, that's why you went to him in the first place.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics