Tremors & Vibrations

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tremors & Vibrations

Postby busteach on August 18th, 2002, 7:08 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with BFS, although from everything I have read, I haven't anyone mention tremors. I have been getting tremors in my index finger and thumb on the right hand. Also I feel as if I have a low lever vibration or like a motor running in my arms and legs. Has anyone had these symptoms.

Also has anyone developed BFS after a hepatitus B. infection.

Thanks
busteach

reply to tremors and vibrations

Postby Dr. Jon on August 19th, 2002, 2:30 am

Yes, I have had internal tremor feeling. But this may be difficult to dx from anxiety symptoms. Have you experienced any anxiety? Are you on any meds? I intermittantly feel a "buzz" like feeling in my legs. This sounds similiar to your motor feeling. What type of doctor dx the bfs. I have found that most doctors have not even heard of it. How long have you been experiencing your symptoms?
Dr. Jon

Tremors

Postby jim on August 19th, 2002, 9:30 am

I have the tremors you mention in both thumbs and occationally my wrists. They are not always there but they were the first thing I noticed and started this entire thing. I actually found this site searching for tremors and fasciculations and found a post where someone described exactly what I was experiencing. A few others have mentioned this on the old forums and when they are back up I would suggest you check them out.
jim

Tremors and BFS

Postby Arron on August 19th, 2002, 10:51 pm

I have the tremors too, only on a bigger scale and so do many other's with BFS and fibro. My tremors happen while using muscles or holding a muscle in a certain place, like holding a pot of water, kneeling down on a leg, stretching a leg out, reaching for something and so on. Sometimes in traffic and holding the brake pedal down for long periods of time, my leg will start to shake. It isn't weak. I mean, I'll push that pedal right through the floor if I wanted to, but the thigh muscles just start to tremor and feel tired. This also happens while leaning against a wall with my arm. It will shake a little. I also notice that I shake a lot more easily after really exerting myself. Like I said, a lot of people with BFS describe this same thing. I think the little thumb tremors you guy's described are actually continuous fasciculations and not really "tremors" at all.
Arron

Postby jim on August 20th, 2002, 6:28 am

Yes! That's exactly it. It only occurs when I hold my thumbs in a certain position. If I comlpetely relax them it stops. It's messages like this that I really value this forum for; thanks for your input.

They are actually tremors and not fasciculations; I was careful to make that distinction early and it was made by a Neurologist that observed them both. I think it's exactly what you are describing only on a smaller scale.

Thanks
jim

Postby Anxious on August 20th, 2002, 3:43 pm

I also get all the tremors that Arron mentioned with no real weakness....does anyone get a tremor in their lips...I'll get them only when I'm drinking something...I thought it was my hands but my lips tremor as well...has anyone else noticed that??
Anxious

tremors

Postby Arron on August 21st, 2002, 12:47 am

I think certain tremors are common and just go un noticed by the general pre-occupied population. I have noticed over the years that when some people talk, they talk with their eyes closed a lot. I have no idea why they do this but what I am getting at is, when their eye lids are closed, they wiggle and tremor or "flutter". I have seen this in a lot of people but never said anything. Your lip tremors might very well be that same kind of "nothing" tremor.

I know when I was in 4th grade. I got in this really hairy fight with some kids. I noticed righjt then and there that while my face was winced-up in a nasty snarl, my cheeks and nose area would flutter or tremor. It has always done that since too, but only if I lightly snarl, not when I snarl my face really hard.

Also, have you ever noticed at reasaurants when your food (or someone else's) is being served that a lot of the waiter's and waitresses have shakey hands? I sure notice that. I have been at bars and had beer served to me that I thought for sure was going to spill because the waitresses hand was shaking so much. I think there are a lot of people with these tremors and they either pay no attention to them or just don't realize they are there.

I know my tremors just started and I can "feel" them when they occur. I also get the inside the body shaky feelings too. Especially when I wake-up in the morning, it is like the whole inside of my body is jolting, tremoring and shaking, but if you hold out your hands, they aren't really moving. It's a weird feeling for sure. Anyway, I think this is all part of the BFS or Fibro stuff. I hope that helped some of you feel better. I still get worried something's wrong sometimes too... thank god for my Ativan!
Arron

Postby RaeKwon on August 21st, 2002, 6:31 pm

I noticed a very mild tremor about 1 1/2 years before I started getting BFS symtoms. I always thought I had a mild case of Essential Tremors but now I have noticed that many people of this forum have tremors also, so maybe it's BFS related?? I've been twitching for about 5 months now. It started in one finger, then stopped. Then another finger, then again it went away. Then I started to get them all over. But the freq. was pretty low. (About, say 20 a day). Then I mentioned them to my doctor and he mentioned that twitching in some cases is related to ALS. Well, even though he said he was sure I didn't have ALS, that night my twitching increase from about 20 a day to 1000's a day. Especially in my calf muscles. It was like I had popcorn under my skin! Needless to say, tremors became the least of my problems. Now that I have had them for a while (6 months), and have no signs of weakness I have calmed down quite significantly. And so have my twitches. Some days are better than others. I don't get them much all over anymore but I do still get them in my calf muscles and in the insteps of my feet.
RaeKwon

Arm feels heavy

Postby busteach on August 21st, 2002, 9:30 pm

I have had a heavy feeling in my right arm. Has anyone experienced heaviness in any extremity? Also I have had a problem with swelling above my wrists and ankles. Has anyone had that?

I have read on several replies someone mentioned fibro. Are you talking about fibromyalgia?

Thanks
busteach

Postby Arron on August 21st, 2002, 10:47 pm

That's exactly how my BFS started too RaeKwon, in one finger, then another, then another and stopping inbetween. I didn't see my doctor at first, instead I made the mistake of looking up "twitches" in a home medical manual and it plainly said, "a common precurser to a motor neuron disease such as ALS". That's when "*beep* hit the fan" and I TOTALLY freaked out and immediately, my twitches went from mild finger wiggles to 10's of thousands a day ALL over my body with jolts, weakness and everything! Anyway, after having it for almost 2 years now and about 1,000 Ativan pills later, I am pretty calmed down about it. I spent literally thousands of hours reading-up on BFS and ALS so I am probably more "up" on it than most doctors. hell, my two doctor buddies I see had never even heard of BFS although they did have 2 patients that had these strange twitches all over but were totally healthy and they just couldn't explain it.

Busteach, swelling around the ankles and wrists could be a kidney problem with fluid backing-up in your body. Are the whites of your eyes a little yellow? That is also a sign of kidney or liver problems. If it is just swollen and sore, it very well could be arthritis swelling. My mom has huge wrists that are all swollen and she has arthritis. If you aren't sure, go see your doctor just to be sure. It's better to be safe than sorry. The "heaviness" is a symptom of fibro and BFS too but I don't think the swelling is.
Arron

Postby Annie on August 24th, 2002, 7:27 pm

Question to Jim and others: What is the difference between a tremor and a fasciculation, according to the neurologists? My twitching began at the base of my left index finger, then quickly spread all over. My GP sent me to a neurologist, with a dx of "tremor." The neurologist did a complete exam and told me I had "benign fasciculations" and not to worry. So, I'm curious about this distinction. Finding this site has been a real comfort to me... great to connect with others with the same wierd symptoms!
Annie

Tremor Vs. Fasiculations

Postby Dr. Jon on August 26th, 2002, 4:33 am

Annie,
A Tremor is more of a fine shakyness. sometimes an internal feeling and sometimes you can see the fine rapid movements of the hand or fingers etc. Lots of causes for tremors, but i think the most common is stress/anxiety. And then of course the constant worry over what is happening to me feeling, that tends to perpetuate it and make it worse.(been there-don that).
Fasiculation is an involuntary twitch of the muscle. sometimes you will see it move a finger but usually its in the middle of the muscle. could be just one or could go on for a good periiod of time.
Dr. Jon

Postby jim on August 26th, 2002, 6:19 am

Yes. Dr. Jon gave a good description. The neurologist I saw simply observed the tremor and said "That's a tremor, not a fasciculation." In my case it was a rythmic motion of my thumb when I held it in a certain position. Fasciculations dont usually (although do occationally) cause a body part to jerk or move, usually it's just a part of a muscle contracting.
jim

Postby Arron on August 26th, 2002, 12:43 pm

sometimes tremors can be more than "fine movements". Look at someone with Parkinson's disease, such as Katheryn Hepburn with her head tremors or Mohammad Ali with his arm and hand tremors. fasciculations are rapid fire "rumbles" and fluxuations that only last a few seconds and are gone. They can repeat themselves over and over again but they usually have breaks inbetween the little "shakes" they do. Tremors are more of a constant movement that doesn't fire-off like a fisculation, but keeps moving slowly and surely. "trembling" when you are scared can be classified as "tremors"... they certainly aren't fasciculations. What we mean by tremor when we try to lift something is a shakiness that happens with an entire limb. Watch a pro weight lifter try to lift 500 LBS. over his head and as he strains to get it up, his whole body will shake (tremor) pretty violently. Well, our bodies do that too, only with a LOT less effort and not near as violent. You kneel down on one leg and it starts to aheke so bad that you have to hold something so you don't fall over. You reach out to get something and your arm shakes, especially if you are holding something with a little weight to it! That is pretty much the difference between a tremor and a twitch.
Arron

Postby Annie on August 26th, 2002, 3:57 pm

Thank you, Jim, DrJon, and Arron. That was very helpful. I definitely have fasciculations, not tremor. No pain, no weakness, no disability... just frequent fasciculations, apparently bengin. OK, now for my next question. (I realize this is probably opening a big can of worms.) Does anyone know what causes BFS? Or is this just one of those things that medical science has learned little about, preferring to concentrate on problems of greater severity?
Annie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management