Hello all- an update.

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Schuey on November 30th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Hey Mike, thanks for posting. I am so glad you are OK. I am sure your post will reassure many.

BTW, what happened to LeeNC? I haven't heard from him for a while...

Schuey
Schuey
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on December 1st, 2006, 7:28 am

LeeNC said:
I'm a woman in my 40's, and I've been shivery, shaky and twitchy for 3 months now.

LOL Schuey. I remember when Sharon called you a he instead of a she. I reminded her too at the time, that you were "all" woman. :D

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby tym2chill on December 7th, 2006, 8:48 am

Hey Mike
its good to see some of us are on the other side and came out ok like most of us will- my question is:
did you ever do any treatment such as laser spine surgery for your herniated discs?

tym2chill
tym2chill
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mike3456 on December 20th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Hi tym2chill,

Sorry I didn't post sooner - haven't been on the board lately.

No, my discs weren't causing me me any great problems, and the neuro said some people don't ever get any major symptoms from the disc problems. He said to avoid high-impact activities, etc., but, otherwise to just wait and see.
-Mike
mike3456

Postby hypocondriacdn on January 11th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Hi Mike,

I want to thank you for the last post as it gives me hope that I too some day will no longer about these new things happening to my body.

Thank you so much.

All the best,

Luke
hypocondriacdn
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Hello all- an update.

Postby mike3456 on January 6th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Hi All!

Search my posts and you'll see I haven't posted here in more than a year, and now I'm well over the THREE YEAR mark since my horribly anxious episode of 2004. I'm happy to report that my worries were just that - worries - and I'm doing well. I still twitch now and then, but I've actually been BUILDING muscle at the gym (my entire body) the last 2-3 months (already a visible difference).

Oh, I've had other health anxieties come and go, but I'm still a 100% healthy 38 year-old.

I hope y'all are doing well and I wish you peace of mind in 2008!!

Mike
-Mike
mike3456

Postby mike3456 on August 12th, 2011, 11:33 am

Hi All!

Most of you probably don't know me, but as you can see by this post, I'm an old-timer. :)

Search for my posts if you want to know my story, but I started posting in 2004 with severe anxiety about this thing we all worry about.

I can't believe it's been 7 years. I was 35 when this all started, and now I'm 42. I still twitch now and then, but really don't notice anymore. I sometimes get the other symptoms of tingling in my feet and hands, muscle pain, fatigue. But I'm still 100% healthy and mostly ignore these symptoms when they come.

Hopefully this is reassurring to you all.

My advice would be that time goes by fast, and, as hard as it is, try to let go of this attachment to these worries. I would say to try to focus on your life and the root causes of your troubles. I believe chronic stress (and the associated stress hormones) contribute greatly to this. I think another indirect effect of stress is lack of exercise and poor nutrition, leading to vitamin deficiencies. They recently learned how important Vitamin D is to many bodily functions (including the nervous system) and how deficient most people are. I would encourage everyone to have that checked (as well as other Vitamin levels).

I've also learned some things about Buddhist beliefs regarding attachment and fear, and it's helped me greatly. This web site has hundreds of video talks that have been recorded by the Buddhist Society of Western Australia since 2004, mostly by Ajahn Brahm, one of the head monks. I've found his talks extremely inspiring and calming. He may seem a bit strange at first. It took me watching a few talks before I realized how good he was.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA

Feel free to post a response or send me a message if have questions about my experiences. I'll watch the site for a few weeks before I go off doing my thing again. :)

Best wishes,
Mike
-Mike
mike3456

Postby MissBehavin on August 12th, 2011, 11:48 am

How fantastic! I loved reading your posts and seeing the progress. I'm six months in and making headway. Like you, my neuro made all the difference. I'm over ALS fears, now it's just getting used to my "new body". Good luck to you, I think your update will help alot of new worried folks.
MissBehavin
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby trajon_34 on August 12th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Mike,

I really appreciate your coming back and posting off and on over the years. I am very new to this whole thing and your posts are very reassuring to me. Crazy that from your first post on this thread to your most recent has been 7 years. Especially since I can relate to your fear and am only at the point of counting weeks and months.

Thanks again.
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mike3456 on August 15th, 2011, 2:08 am

This site and the people on it were a tremendous help to me back when I was so scared. I like to come back every so often to "give back", because I remember how reassuring it was to see people with my exact symptoms come back years later and be perfectly fine.

Good luck to both of you as well! Everything will be alright.

Mike
-Mike
mike3456

Postby jcrissman2 on August 15th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Mike, thanks so much for the continued posts. You've been on the forum about twice as long as I have and that is very reassuring. I agree with everything that you said regarding stress, anxiety and unresolved emotions being the majority of the cause of what we deal with in regard to BFS.

Continued best of luck - thanks of the YouTube video link. Going to check those out. I read the Dalai Lama's book, "How to Practice" and found it interesting. Not life changing, but interesting. Another book that I enjoyed a lot was Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
On the board since January of 2008. Originally under my first username jcrissman which appears to have been hacked at some point.
jcrissman2
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Wells05 on August 15th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Mike it's so nice to see ur post and that u have overcome the fear ect. I too hope to someday soon be healthy and think healthy and not assume I have the worst. It has overtaken my life, darn twitches! Ashley
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby mike3456 on August 20th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Hello all!

Just checking in again...can't believe it's been 2 years since my last check-in, and almost 9 years since my first post!

My message this time is the same as with all my check-ins. I'm doing fine! I twitch from time to time, but don't care and don't notice much anymore.

I want to emphasize this time that 9 years ago I was 100% convinced I had that disease we don't like to mention. I'm a smart guy, an educated guy, a logical and normally rational guy, and nothing could convince me otherwise at the time. I did my research. I had the twitching and I observed it's patterns and when and where it occurred. I thought I started to notice weakness in my legs and my arms.

Well here I am 9 years later. And I was wrong.

You'll be OK (I promise)!!! :)

Mike
-Mike
mike3456

Postby TyWebb on August 20th, 2013, 8:28 pm

mike3456 wrote:Hello all!

Just checking in again...can't believe it's been 2 years since my last check-in, and almost 9 years since my first post!

My message this time is the same as with all my check-ins. I'm doing fine! I twitch from time to time, but don't care and don't notice much anymore.

I want to emphasize this time that 9 years ago I was 100% convinced I had that disease we don't like to mention. I'm a smart guy, an educated guy, a logical and normally rational guy, and nothing could convince me otherwise at the time. I did my research. I had the twitching and I observed it's patterns and when and where it occurred. I thought I started to notice weakness in my legs and my arms.

Mike

I think it is great when the vets come back and post. Makes me feel better every time. Thanks Mike!
TyWebb

Postby TyWebb on August 20th, 2013, 8:28 pm

mike3456 wrote:Hello all!

Mike

I think it is great when the vets come back and post. Makes me feel better every time. Thanks Mike!
TyWebb

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS