reflexes

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

reflexes

Postby SPRINGBROCK on December 19th, 2006, 7:12 pm

What is actually concidered a "brisk" reflex. What are normal ones for kness? How high are they suppose to go?
SPRINGBROCK

Postby puggriffey on December 19th, 2006, 9:18 pm

If you have "ominous" brisk reflexes, you will virtually kick the doc in the face - NO LIE.

Even if this is the case, it still means nothing in many cases, especially with high anxiety types. Trying to judge anything by reflexes on your own is fruitless.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Ginlyn on December 19th, 2006, 9:49 pm

JG is right.

Years and years ago, I used to kick the doctor almost across the room. Now they have relaxed a bit, but are deemed "brisk".

My neuro says there is a difference between physiological brisk reflexes and pathological reflexes. Only your doctor can tell the difference. Also, they have to judge what is "normal" for you. My husband, barely has a reflex reponse at all. They have to hit his knee a couple of times to get a tiny movement. His has been this way all of his life, thus "normal" for him. If mine would begin to act this way, my doctor would wonder what is up, as this is not "normal" for me.

They look for subtle signs when they test your reflexes and only a qualified doctor can give you his/her opinion on this.

G.
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby MaryY on December 20th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Testing of reflexes can be very subjective from one provider to another. I had two providers test my reflexes on the same day and each came up with different answers. A good provider knows the difference between a bit brisk because of stress or too much coffee and what is indicative of disease..... Don't be too upset by being told your reflexes are a brisk... they might be perfectly normal the next day.... :)
Mary
MaryY
Hero
Hero

Postby icarusman1 on December 20th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I have brisk reflexes; 3 ++. I asked my neurologist if I should be concerned. He said my reflexes were symmetrical and it was not a problem. Also, had my reflexes tested several months later and they were rated as just 3, not brisk. Anxiety plays a huge roll in how we react at an exam. Please do not worry about your reflexes, I did for several months and regret all of the time and energy I spent concerning my reflexes. I use to sit at the edge of the bed and test my reflexes all day long. I even tested my wife’s reflexes comparing them to mine. Please don’t dwell on your reflexes, like I did, your fine. Take care, Mike
icarusman1

Re: reflexes

Postby justcindy on February 4th, 2008, 11:54 pm

My GP tested my reflexes and said they were normal. My psych tested them and said they were a brisk----normal and not to begin obsessing about that. I would totally agree that when anxious our reflexes are more "brisk", isn't almost everything else heightened when we are anxious??
Cindy
justcindy
Saint
Saint

Re: reflexes

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS