Bladder problems

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Bladder problems

Postby charlene on September 27th, 2002, 7:42 pm

I started experiencing new symptoms about 6 months ago, related to problems with my bladder.....not funny. The symptoms are similar in nature to a urinary tract infection(pain, frequency, and also retention). I went to the doctor thinking I had an infection only to find the results normal (of course). He mentioned interstitial cystitis. So I went on the internet to read up on it and found that it is common in autoimmune disorders such as lupus. I have suspected that I might have lupus for some time now because I have many of the symptoms even though all the tests come back negative. The bladder symptoms are becomming more frequent and quite painful. The test to diagnose interstitial cystitis is very uncomfortable and requires being under anastheisa so I haven't returned to my doctor. I'm also experiencing bloating along with the other symptoms. Just when I thought I was getting good at dealing with this BEEP!! :cry:
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
charlene

Postby Jen on September 28th, 2002, 12:44 am

In Sept '01 I thought I had a UTI :( . I had severe frequency, but tests (urine, ultrasound and GYN workup) were normal. About 1 month later, I could feel ultra-fine twitching in my bladder. My GP and GYN had no clue what that meant (I hadn't started twitching anywhere else yet). I was also having lots of tummy trouble and my GP thought that I might have IBS, and suggested that I take Metamucil (blech) or Citracel (a bit better) to help. I tried it and it helped with the IBS symptoms, and in turn it relieved pressure on the bladder and I felt better. Eventually I was put on an anti-inflammatory which seems to have "cured" both problems. I even tested this by stopping the anti-inflams and the bladder and IBS problems returned. My GP suspected lupus at first, but testing for that was negative :) . She is fairly certain that it is NOT lupus in my case. I had a lot of bloating, too, from the IBS symptoms. Maybe you could give the Citracel a try. My husband uses it just for the health benefits of increased fiber. I wish you good luck with this!
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management