book store

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

book store

Postby Pole on July 30th, 2003, 2:58 am

Yesterday I was in a book store and when my wife looked at cookery books I was looking for something interesting in medical section :)
In "Basics of neurology" I've read about ALS. Nothing new of course :D

But there was all paragraph about how to distinguish ALS from BFS. They said if there is no weakness and all reflexes are normal it is BFS. They also said that BFS fasciculations are slower and recurs in the same places (hot spots?!). The most interesting fact was that BFS often cause patients' depression because of ALS fears. Especially when BFS attacks doctors who know what may be the reason of fasciculations because they remember ALS signs from their medical study.

Regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby tlotoxl on July 30th, 2003, 5:45 am

lol, i don't want to hear that bfs twitches are 'slower' -- that's too subjective a qualifier ;)

i'll just assume, as i have been, that 2.8 years without weakness and a clean emg at 2.2 years makes for no evidence of als.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on July 30th, 2003, 5:51 am

You are right it's subjective, but I told you what I had read in a medical book.
regrads
M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby tlotoxl on July 30th, 2003, 5:55 am

oh yeah, that's cool -- i was just saying that i'd be too freaked out about trying to measure the speed of my twitches, it being too easy to misinterpret the results. :D
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on July 30th, 2003, 6:07 am

I know what you mean. Since I've read about this "slower" twiches mine became faster :D
Power of mind!

M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics