statistics

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

statistics

Postby KERRI on July 15th, 2003, 8:07 am

I know that you guys do not want to hear this but.
what are the stats of young people that have mnd, i was over at the MDA site reading through the old posts and about five individuals that had A#@ were my age range between 26-30. So I was wondering what the stats are for people who are young with it. I read over there that approximately 20 percent are under the age of 30. Is that true and if so what kind of numbers are we talking.

I also read somewhere that people under the age of 30 that have it tend to have familial forms is this true.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on July 15th, 2003, 8:24 am

Kerri, I don't know stats but I am sure that it is rare to have mnd and that it is VERY VERY rare to have mnd in your (and my) age.
regards
m.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on July 15th, 2003, 8:29 am

Kerri...

Watch yourself! You are obsessing again! Try and find something positive to fixate on...like your upcoming wedding! Stop torturing yourself. WHat is going to happen when you get older and fall into a range of people that are more likely to get ALS? You need to start fighting this obsession. You are wasting your life. I am not saying this to be mean, but I really feel for you. Take Uber's advice (as well as many of us here, ) and work on your true problem: Your anxiety and OCD. I am saying this becuase I think it is effecting you too much. You do not have ALS. You probably never will. Why worry?
Here is what I want you to do right away:
1. Unplug your computer.
2. Go for a nice long walk.
3. When you get home, lay down and repeat the phrase : "I am prefectly fine, regardless of these pesky twitches" 100X. Take a long nap.
4. When you wake up, call your internet provider and cancel your service.
5. Call a therapist and make an appt.

That should be a nice start.
Love, Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on July 23rd, 2003, 11:16 am

Im not sure these are exact figures but I believe its 1 in 50,000 get MND?? and if its 20% of those are under 30 then thats 1/5 so basically 1 in 250,000 ppl will get MND under the age of 30.

So lets compare that to more serious odds and problems you are likely to face.

according to this website: http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

You will die in roughly 14 car crashes before you develop MND under the age of 30.

Dont even bother with statistics Kerri, at your age it just makes you look a little silly....no offense :\
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on July 23rd, 2003, 12:31 pm

I seriously doubt that 20% of people with MND got it under 50 -- where does that figure come from? Generally they say when people get it they are normally 45+, and that implies to me that that would include at least two standard deviations away from the mean, or around 95% of the population. if 20% get it under 30, then it stands to reason that something close to 50% get it under 50 years old -- in other words, it is not highly correlated with age -- and yet everyone says that it is highly correlated with age.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on July 23rd, 2003, 12:35 pm

ok, i found this:

Eighty per cent of ALS begins between the ages of 40 and 70. The average age of onset is 55 years of age.

I think we can therefore safely assume that fewer than 20% of cases are reported in people under 30.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on July 23rd, 2003, 12:49 pm

btw, that's the last time i research ALS ;) i'm confident that i don't have it, but just like i don't walk around alone in graveyards at night, researching als scares me.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics