Hand Drawing Up or Closing

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hand Drawing Up or Closing

Postby ClemsonRecruiter on July 7th, 2003, 3:31 pm

My Wife has been battling anxiety for years now… she went off of Paxil about a year or so ago and has done great…except for an occasional nervousness she was doing really well until one week she was traveling to Atlanta with her boss to do business appointments…her stress was magnified by her being on her period at the same time not to mention we have both been laid off several times due to economic conditions (in a word “Stressful”) She has been experiencing all of the symptoms of BFS that has been listed on this board. Virtually everything from stomach twitches to arm, leg, calf etc. One thing she has been experiencing also lately is her hand feels like it is closing up or drawing up...almost like tensing up or closing to make a fist. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this as a symptom? She does not lose strength and her hand is not actually closing she said it just feels like it. Can anyone out there help?
ClemsonRecruiter

Postby Jenn311 on July 7th, 2003, 3:40 pm

Does she happen to test her strength in that hand a lot? Mine does that if I do a lot of strength testing. It's like the old trick that we did as elementary school students. When you get in a door frame and put your arms against the frame pointing down and press as hard as you can to puch them up, then once you get out of the frame and hold your arms at your side they naturally go up. It's a cool trick, and I'm not sure why it works, but I think the principal is the same.
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Stength

Postby ClemsonRecruiter on July 7th, 2003, 3:48 pm

No not really strength TESTING...we both lift weights once a day and workout about 6 times a week but I don't think she tests it much. I do notice her extending her fingers etc often and sometimes it doesn't bother her, but lately she says her hand feels like it is closing but it actually is not closing it just feels that way. Have you ever heard of someone feeling this?
ClemsonRecruiter

Postby Jenn311 on July 7th, 2003, 4:32 pm

I have odd sensations similar to that all the time. Plus I suffer from anxiety! I try not to worry about them. If you tell your doctor I am willing to bet he'll say the same. But if it does concern her, she should go see at least a GP and have him examine her.
Cheers, Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Thanks

Postby ClemsonRecruiter on July 7th, 2003, 4:34 pm

Jenn I really appreciate your thoughtfulness to take the time to answer and help out.
ClemsonRecruiter

Postby Jenn311 on July 7th, 2003, 4:42 pm

Your welcome! I think it's really sweet that you want to help your wife out. She is lucky to have such a sweet hubby! :lol:
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Thanks

Postby ClemsonRecruiter on July 10th, 2003, 1:19 pm

ClemsonRecruiter

My father has what your wife has

Postby twitchaholic on July 11th, 2003, 12:22 am

Hi! I am brand new to this site and am so grateful to have found it. I am fairly certain I have BFS (no final diagnosis yet), but my dad must have had it too! He had twitches for years in his calves and hands which never did turn into anything serious over at least a 20 year period. I distinctly remember him talking about how his hand would "draw up" and curl in on itself. He described it much like a cramp but it didn't seem to hurt too much. I even remember watching it curl in as his fingers would turn in toward his thumb. Is that what your wife's hand is doing? I think my dad's hand still does this occasionally. Sure hope this helps. You are a nice man to be concerned.
twitchaholic

My father has what your wife has

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics