Hand Drawing Up or Closing

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hand Drawing Up or Closing

Postby ClemsonRecruiter on July 7th, 2003, 3:33 pm

My Wife has been battling anxiety for years now… she went off of Paxil about a year or so ago and has done great…except for an occasional nervousness she was doing really well until one week she was traveling to Atlanta with her boss to do business appointments…her stress was magnified by her being on her period at the same time not to mention we have both been laid off several times due to economic conditions (in a word “Stressful”) She has been experiencing all of the symptoms of BFS that has been listed on this board. Virtually everything from stomach twitches to arm, leg, calf etc. One thing she has been experiencing also lately is her hand feels like it is closing up or drawing up...almost like tensing up or closing to make a fist. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this as a symptom? She does not lose strength and her hand is not actually closing she said it just feels like it. Can anyone out there help?
ClemsonRecruiter

Postby uber on July 7th, 2003, 6:03 pm

Sounds like a classic case of "tension" your body does it on a sub concious level and you can have little to no control over it so it can seem to represent a potential disease of the muscles...Anxiet and Stress causes all sorts of neurological symptoms, if the problem persists see a neurologist and see what he thinks although he will probably see it as Tension :\
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on July 7th, 2003, 10:34 pm

Yeah, I get that on occasion. It "feels" like it is closing or tensing-up but it really isn't. I get stiffness in my arms and hands sometimes as well where it feels like it takes an extra effort to get them to work.

There is a disease that actually does cause temporary and even permanent tensing spells like that called Dystonia. It can be mild or severe. From what I have read about it, it usually comes-on sort of like an "attack" for a few seconds to a few minutes an then calms-down.

Being that what she is experiencing isn't actually happening in reality, and that some of us have experienced similar symptoms (and none of us have Dystonia either), I would imagine what your wife has is stress related like the rest of us.

If her hand actually does close-up into a fist and stays that way uncontrollably, I would go see a doctor. There are meds that can help. It isn't the end of the world nor is it a fatal disease IF that's what it is, but again, it certainly doesn't sound like it actually is. I'd give it some more time. If it doesn't get any worse, it is probably what we all expereience too sometimes.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management