Should I be worried?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Should I be worried?

Postby 25 on June 28th, 2003, 5:26 pm

The past few days (since I've read Carol's post), I've had a really tight feeling in my throat! It doesn't seem to go away. I've had this before off and on, but it never lasted this long. Along w/ that I am constantly burping and I feel "gassy" at times. I don't know if stress could be causing this (I've been under major stress!) or something scary is going on.... My throat also seems to hurt after I eat. I don't think I have problems eating, but this tightness is really bothering me. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Sandy

btw, I forgot to mention, I do feel some post/nasal drip type of thing in the back of my throat. Kind of thing you don't want to swallow but you have to cause you can't get rid of it. I don't have a cold or anything so....who knows......

Postby Floater on June 28th, 2003, 6:38 pm

hey your really freaked out......and it is the stress that is causing gastral distress.....stress can make so many changes in your body imaginary and real... i had the burp thing for awhile...i think if you ignore the symptoms and things while get better...see a doc if your not sure..bloodwork ussually tells the tale if theres something more serious going on..i think youll be fine
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Jenn311 on June 28th, 2003, 6:49 pm

Hey Sandy,
With ALS, you loose the ability to swallow, so you are always choking on food and it just won't go down. Your throat doesn't feel tight. That is classic anxiety. SO is the stomach problems. You need to relax, maybe seek some professional counseling or some anti-depressant or anti-anxiety meds if things don't perk up.

Sorry you are struggeling! I know when you are going through that kind of stress it seems all so real. Maybe if you can somehow step back and look at the big picture you'll feel better.

I hope things pick up for you! Anxiety sux.
Love, Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on June 28th, 2003, 8:15 pm

hi 25 :)

The things you are describing sound like classic Anxiety symptoms to me....It could be possible you have a throat infection?? Do you smoke??

When im nervous I get EXACTLY the same problem when my tummy feels like it wants to pop and I keep burping over and over...its just physical presentation of too much Anxiety, along with Twitching, Tremors, Shakes and a lot of the Sensory symptoms people describe on these forums, that aint been diagnosed with anything.

With ALS you dont get a tight feeling in throat, your first symptoms would be perhaps, the unability to feel like your neck can fully support your head or you would keep choking on your food and wouldnt be able to understand why you cant seem to "swallow" properly anymore.

So many people obsess about ALS on these forums...I just dont understand it :\ Dont you people know how rare this disease is?? I was more concerned with MS when I started coming here, ALS is something that I never really thought about, especially considering im only 23 and its practically unheard of for people my age to develop it.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby 25 on June 28th, 2003, 8:32 pm

Thank You everyone!! I needed this (and I was debating whether I should post or not). I would usually take xanax when I get freaked out like this but this time I cannot! There is a slight chance that I might be pregnant (which would be a good thing) and I don't want to risk anything, so I suffer........and drive my husband and everyone else mad w/ my "symptoms".
Thanks for being so supportive and patient!

Sandy

Postby kim on June 29th, 2003, 12:05 pm

Hi 25!

I'm betting the farm you have some serious anxiety going on!

Have you considered SSRI's? I am on Zoloft, and I have heard it is even safe for preganat women to take. It helped me immensely with my health obsessions. I promise, you will be a better mom if you have your head together. Otherwise, you could easily pass your fears along to the kids. I've seen it happen in my family!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. let us know if we need to plan a baby shower!

Kim

BTW - I have post nasal drip too, and it is allergy related. It also causes at tightness in my throat and makes me feel like I constantly have to clear it. Very annoying, but harmless!
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 29th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Hey Sandy...

When I was pregnant with my third child I had a sore throat for a couple of months. I showed it to my OB/GYN and she said it was allergies and to take Pseudophed. It worked really well to clear that little problem up, and it was on a list of things I could take while I was pregnant, as is Prozac (FYI).
Best wishes!
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management