First sign of weakness?????

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

First sign of weakness?????

Postby Pole on June 24th, 2003, 3:32 am

Hi

I have noticed a strange new symptom - when I move my limbs I can hear my joints working. It is something like grating. In Polish we call it "joints shooting". I can hear my arms-joints, wrist-joints, knee-joints or even in such strange places like chest or groin.
There is no pain in joints and my joints are not swollen.

I know that we all hear our joints from time to time (often during rapid movements or excersice) but I can hear it very often now. I wonder if it could be a first sign of muscle weakness - I feel no weakness but my joints start to feel weakness of my muscles (that is the way I am thinking)

What do you think? Do you have any suchlike experiences?

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on June 24th, 2003, 5:25 am

Pole how long have you been getting other symptoms?? Im not familiar with your past...sounds like you are describing arthiritis to me, if there is no pain then it may be something else. Talk to your GP
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwl on June 24th, 2003, 5:46 am

it's perfectly normal for joints to make a slight grinding noise - my knees have done it for years and I have no joint problems. Obviously, there is no link with any neuromuscular disease.
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on June 24th, 2003, 6:22 am

I have been twiching for almost 3 months. No other symptoms like weakness or atrophy. My joints problems apeared 1 month ago.

dwl, I know that grinding noise from joints is normal from time to time. But I hear it very often now - even when I move not rapidly.
Don't you think that may be caused by muscle weakness? You know, muscles are weak so joints must work harder.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby tlotoxl on June 24th, 2003, 7:07 am

i dunno, pole, i think that muscle weakness would manifest itself as muscle weakness, not grinding joints, and i don't see how joints would have to work harder if muscles were weaker, either.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on June 24th, 2003, 8:05 am

I think (I hope I'm wrong) that if muscles are weak joints are more loaded and must work harder (so grinding joints apears)

M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on June 24th, 2003, 8:14 am

you have a very active imagination!
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on June 24th, 2003, 1:21 pm

Joints are made out of bone. Muscles are made out of.. well... muscle.

Muscles move joints, not the other way around. Even if you had all of your bones and joints removed from your body, it would still have nothing to do with clinical muscle weakness, especially the kind that is associated with something such as ALS...

You are probably getting Arthritis or something. Either way, it would have absolutely nothing to do with muscle weakness, and joints couldn't be more "loaded" from muscle weakness... they could get more loaded if you were carrying something heavy and actually working the joints by adding more weight to them, but not the other way around. I agree with dwl, you have a very active imagination...
Arron

Postby Jenn311 on June 24th, 2003, 2:05 pm

Hey Marcin,

I have the same problem, only I have creaky, as well as occasionally swollen, painful joints. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with chondromalacia, which is a softening of the cartilege that makes up your joints. But I agree, joint problems have nothing to do with muscle weakness, otherwise I would be screwed.
Jen 8)
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Craig on June 24th, 2003, 7:08 pm

I've been getting this for the past 8 months or so and no weakness to speak of. For some strange reason the joint symptoms did go away for about a month and a half, but they have since come back. The joints in my legs crack and pop all of the time. I also get the grinding noise in my arms and legs. One of my doctors thought it had to do with hydration...
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on June 25th, 2003, 2:19 am

Thank you all for responding. You reassured me a lot.
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dave YY on June 25th, 2003, 7:52 am

I've been getting a LOT of cracking joints the last three months or so. I recently was told my thyroid meds had been raised too high and I was pretty hyperthyroid, wondering if that might be why.
dave YY

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management