Twitches

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitches

Postby KERRI on June 21st, 2003, 2:30 pm

I think I confused the heck out of everyone, which I often do,I began having twitches a little over a year ago now, when they began I had a twitch in my bicep, it was a real strong twitch it lasted for the whole day on and off, after that i looked up twitch online and scared myself to death, and before I knew it I was getting twtiches everywhere but not many in the begining. I did not start having a major problem until six months into it. I had gotton sick with a 24 hr bug of vomiting and diarrhea, I was soooo ill, the next day I had a twitch in my chin that lasted all day and finally stopped after I drank a ton of gaterade, since then I have had bad twitches in the calves they lasted on and off for a month, and they were constant, I cried every night they just would not stop, my doctors gave me elavil and they subsided to the point that I could handle them, and of course the twitches everywhere else continued. I have been on Xanax for a while and I have also joined this forum, so, since about March or April the twitches have dramatically decreased. I get maybe one or two a day.
I am hoping they are on there way out.

But I have seen three neurologists, one gave me a definite diagnosis of BFS even though he could not see any twitches in the office. That neuro was Mark Sivak of Mnt Sinai in nyc, the local neuro that I see says he cannot call it BFS even, becuase at this point he would have seen one of the twitches. He waited five minutes in the office looking at my arms,legs and shoulder area, he said they are the most common areas to find the twitches, and not one appeared. He said some people twitch more than others but it is nothing to be concerned with.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on June 21st, 2003, 7:52 pm

Kerri...you are so lost arent you :( I know how you feel, wish I could meet somebody like you in real life and just talk and talk and talk about these problems, getting it off your chest makes u feel so much better.

You have see 3 Neuro's I think thats pretty much all the evidence you are gonna need to know you dont have anything serious. If you had any bad disease like ALS or MS, a neuro would pick it up on a physical exam, even if he slightly suspected you had something like that, he would order an MRI and an EMG at least...along with blood work. Even if he suspected you had a mild neurological problem sch

Twitches and all these things are very common in people that suffer from extreme Anxiety...the thing is, that not all these people read up about ALS or MS on the net and get paranoid they have something wrong.

I know it might sound like an insult Kerri..but get a grip and STOP reading up scenarios on the net about certain physcial presentations of neurological diseases that you simply dont have.

With MS or ALS (assuming these are your 2 main concerns) you dont just get bits here or bits there, thats not the way these diseases work. With MS you get a whole host of problems that get very rapidly worse, then usually go away, hence the relapse/remitting nature of the disease. With ALS..i think in some very very very rare cases it starts with twitching first then developes into muscle weakness...but by this time Kerri its a 100% certainty that you would of at least developed some mild muscle weakness and loss of coordination at the very very least.

You want my opinion?? I think you are suffering from an Anxiety Disorder..possibly obssesive & panic related disorders too that all tie in with Anxiety...due to Anxiety disorders flooding your body with Adrenaline, its causing nerve irritation and probably strange sensory symptoms that come and go. As you very well say, since you have come to this forum, you have realised you are not alone, and found comfort in other peoples experiences and this has greatly reduced your anxiety along with your twitches...this isnt coincidence..reading forums doesnt cure the symptoms of MS or ALS, it just dont work that way :)

So chill out...get away from the computer...STOP reading stuff on the net, its all misleading, and believe your Neurologists, its their job to detect stuff you wouldnt even know about, good luck :)
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Brian_B on June 22nd, 2003, 2:23 am

kerri, you said

did not start having a major problem until six months into it. I had gotton sick with a 24 hr bug of vomiting and diarrhea, I was soooo ill, the next day I had a twitch in my chin that lasted all day and finally stopped after I drank a ton of gaterade, since then I have had bad twitches in the calves they lasted on and off for a month, and they were constant

if you read the mayo clinic study, BFS starting soon after being sick is VERY common. I was like that, I noticed it not long after I had been really sick.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on June 22nd, 2003, 4:54 am

Yep well BFS is an autoimmune response so its common for ppl to get it after a nasty cold...my problems started after a head cold too
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management