Big News: Cured of Twitching

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Silas1066 on December 18th, 2005, 10:10 am

some interesting things...

my twitching "officially" started in Jan 04 with relentless eyelid twitching. Other people here have reported the same thing. I went to an opthamologist, and she said it was benign.

Then, after an adverse drug reaction to Avelox following sinus surgery, I developed the body-wide twitching, and this went on for a few weeks. I didn't think it was anything serious, I thought it was related to the drugs.

Later that year, I developed a nasty anal fissure (lots of fun let me tell you) that cause rectal spasms! (twitching). I had to have a simple outpatient procedure to get rid of the fissure, since it was so bad. During this time, I got an IBS diagnosis.

Then, 3 months ago, I started twitching again, and got cramps. This time I discovered *** and freaked out. the twitching naturally got worse.

Here is my theory...

1. Some kind of infection set this thing off, and I think it was related to the bacterial sinus infection I suffered. Everyone has some bacteria in their sinuses, and it is only when this gets out of control that it becomes a problem. How many here suffered some kind of cold or infection before the twitching started? I bet a lot. I think there is still bacteria in there, that my body is constantly fighting (high alert)

2. Antibiotics and steroids (Advair & Prendisone) were taken prior to the twitching. I developed the eyelid twitching one week into taking Advair. Connection?

3. The rectal twitching due to the fissure (injury) caused the nervous system to become "hyper-sensitive." It's like flinching before someone hits you, even though there is no punch coming.

4. stress plays a huge roll. When I developed my latest bout of twitching, I was mid-way through my first semester in a PhD program, working 30 hours a week, with a pregnant wife, and a sick 2 1/2 year old kid at home. I'm totally stressed.

can anyone relate to any of this?
Silas1066

I hear you.

Postby berchman on December 27th, 2005, 4:36 am

Silas1066 wrote:4. stress plays a huge roll. When I developed my latest bout of twitching, I was mid-way through my first semester in a PhD program, working 30 hours a week, with a pregnant wife, and a sick 2 1/2 year old kid at home. I'm totally stressed.

can anyone relate to any of this?

Silas1066,

I think I can relate to the part you have posted above. My twitching started a month ago—persistent every day since and erratic—at the time I had a mild case of the flu, my wife was 2 months pregnant with our third child with morning sickness/fatigue and the flu, my five year old was wiped out on the couch with the flu and a 102 fever, our 2 1/2 year old was just on the rebound from his flu full of energy wondering why no one would play with him. Meanwhile I'm in the fourth month of my new business being self employed working from my home office. Did I mention I suffer from an Anxiety Disorder too?

Think I was stressed??

Oh man, its funny because after typing this I can actually laugh at how crazy that is and while I was in the midst of it all and started to get the muscle twitching I actually wondered if I was under any kind of stress!

Just know you are not alone. :)
berchman
Interested
Interested

Gatorade

Postby shammontree on December 28th, 2005, 1:30 pm

I have been twitching since 1997 and I have been drinking 1/2 to a full gallon of gatorade for well over a year now. It did not work for me.

Sincerely,
Scott
shammontree
Interested
Interested

Postby MindyDW on December 30th, 2005, 4:35 pm

I would have to say Gatorade does not work for me either. I am an ultra distance athlete and live on that stuff. I started 'twitching' in August and it seems to not be letting up. I am not a stressed person nor do i have anxiety. I can live with the twitching so my biggest complaint is the fatigue. Does anyone have a remedy for this?? I 'have' to work out several hours a week (10-20 hrs) and my fatigue is knocking me down! I would love any advice. Thanks!!!! :D
MindyDW

Just

Postby SteveMS on April 26th, 2006, 8:45 am

a word of advice: Gatorade has a lot of sugar, which isn't the best thing for you. There are other drinks with electrolytes you can try--I think there's a kind of water called "SmartWater"--that don't have the sugar. Might be a good idea to give those a try.
SteveMS

Postby pccd on May 13th, 2006, 1:20 pm

HI
I think you maybe on to something here.
I started powerade last night , a couple of bottles during the evening and although my symptoms have not disappeared they are the lowest they have been for weeks. During the time i'm on erythromycin for sinus infectionwhich has played havoc with my digetion .
A lot of water loss ,if you know what i mean and hence, I now suspect electrolytes.
Continued during today and the reduction in twitches has been to about 10% of what they were in occurence and strength.My calf does not feel like a mass of wriggling worms but 'normal' with the very occassional twitch but very minor.
I know there are many false dawns in all this but it's good to have had a relatively normal day. It could also be that i havent drunk tea--- Today has been a good day - i'm just happy about that !

:D
Monday- horrendous day at work and i've hardly noticed any twitching at all... This can't be by coincidence surely ? There is a marked and significant improvement by about 90% .I'm not joking.
I have to say that i'm sure when i was 'normal' or pre-bfs I had more twitches than I did today.

Pete
pccd
Interested
Interested

Postby Jennhaz on July 26th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Is anyone still trying the gatorade? If so is it working.

By the way I would drink or eat anything if I could return back to normal :P ..jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

powerade works for me.....

Postby pccd on July 26th, 2006, 4:37 pm

HI
In reply to jennhaz I've continued a bottle a day since i've posted on this thread.
The improvement is still there at such a level that i'd say i was normal .Something i was FAR from..
Somedays i notice absolutely nothing others a a twitch here and there but not enough to even concern me.
Believe me I was getting enough to drive me nuts ( which btw was what my GP thought i was ! he couldn't understand why i was so concerned.Obviously he hadn't had it ...)
Now it's no worse than sneezing ..it happens.. I pay no attention.... and there is hope :D
pccd
Interested
Interested

Postby Jennhaz on July 26th, 2006, 4:54 pm

pccd,
Thanks for responding. You are right about the GP's they just think it is a little twitch here and little twitch there. I went through that with my GP, except he kept saying nothing was wrong with me for 7 months and then put me in the mental word at the hospital because I kept going to the ER. Needless to say he is not my Dr. and when I got dx I could not wait to get home and give a not so nice phone call. I am thinking about calling a couple of newspapers around my area and write about living with BFS so these Dr.'s understand what we go through.

I am going to try the gatorade. This is strange that it helps when are electrolyte tests come up normal, although blood work does not mean much on certain tests. So you have to drink this every few hours? When I workout like do squats or anything like that I get twitches bad so I am going to store to buy gatorade. oh, does the gatorade help with the buzzing sensations or bug sensations, or don't you have those?

By the way whomever made the comment about the commercial, you cracked me up..good one...

Thanks..Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on July 26th, 2006, 8:16 pm

ok I ran to the store to get gatorade I drank half of a 32oz. bottle, yes I know not much, but I did some squats later and I am twitching more then ever..lol....Either it didn't help, I didn't drink enough or the squats are to much for me..***t could be all the above.... :P ..Jenn

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Re:

Postby BFSBurger on November 2nd, 2012, 9:31 pm

Ryan wrote:After a year of constant twitching and muscle fatigue, I am finally thrilled to say that I am cured of twitching. Three days ago, I began to drink alot of Gatorade. Lots of Gatorade (between 64-96 ounces a day) and my twitching has nearly stopped. I discovered in a running magazine that an electrolyte imbalance causes involuntary muscle twitching and muscle aches and pains. I think that I was losing a lot of water from the IBS and unable to rehydrate my body without Gatorade.

Ryan wrote:I have a glass of gatorade on my desk as I type this. I drink a ton of the stuff. All I know, is that for the first time in 6 months I have stopped worrying and I finally feel like I can get on with my life. All I know, is that Gatorade has made me nearly twicth free for a week. When I get twitching, it is usually after not having Gatorade for a few hours. I have cut what used to be a great number of twitches all over to a few isolated twitches. I don't know how long it will last or if it will work for anyone else. I do know that I am enjoying my twitch free time and I pray that this works to help others.

Thanks for sharing Ryan. :)

pccd wrote:I've continued a bottle a day since i've posted on this thread.
The improvement is still there at such a level that i'd say i was normal .Something i was FAR from..
Somedays i notice absolutely nothing others a a twitch here and there but not enough to even concern me.

Thanks for sharing pccd. :)

-BFSB-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Big News: Cured of Twitching

Postby johnnythejet on November 2nd, 2012, 10:34 pm

They may not get the thank you messages since these were posts from like 6 years ago. I'm not sure if you noticed that.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on November 2nd, 2012, 11:39 pm

Kinda off topic but it was cool taking the stroll down memory lane and remembering some of those members. Ginny was one of my all time favorites along with dwl, leenc and Roger....glad they got their lives back on track and moved on......most of the current/active members will do the same.
garym

Postby johnnythejet on November 2nd, 2012, 11:49 pm

Yeah I agree Gary. Its always nice to know when people who finally move on!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Re:

Postby jorge on November 3rd, 2012, 4:40 am

Toro wrote:To answer your question my neuro said you do not need much B vitamins. He suggested B-Complex with vitamin C 10mg twice a day. If you over do it with B vitamins it could make the twitching worse he said.

1) Some B Complex pills do not have B12 in the formula (go figure).

2) I tried taking B1/B12 pills, but had no improvement on BFS symptoms.
jorge

Re:

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Symptom Management