BFS "FLASH BACKS"??

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS "FLASH BACKS"??

Postby Arron on June 19th, 2003, 4:38 pm

Ok, I think I have something here. Ever notice when people go through a serious trauma, they often get flash backs? You know, the soldier that was scared stiff during combat that comes-home and hits the floor every time he hears a loud bang. The mom who starts crying when she see's a child that looks just like one she lost?, and so on?

Well, I was just watching the TV on TLC and they had a great segment on this Navy man who was one of the 11 crew members of the plane that went down in China when the Chinese pilot (that obviously couldn't fly worth a crap) slammed his POS jet into out survelance plane.

This guy said something that hit home. He said he still gets flash backs of being captured in China. Well, that was a pretty traumatic experience, right? Couldn't there be flash backs where no "visual" trauma was seen? I'll bet there is. And that may very well be why some people with BFS continue to re-kindle their fears that their twitches might be ALS and why they can't "shake" the feeling of having ALS off.

It "seems" apparent to me that the scare of finding out that twitches are a sign of ALS (no matter how misleading that "information" actually is), and that is traumatic enough to scare the daylights out of anyone!

Just like that soldier that is now back home, in a safe place, he still gets flash backs of sheer fear. It seems to me that just about when people with BFS seem to be getting better, the'll see a twitch that is slightly different than a "normal" twitch and it sends them right back into the cycle of having the ALS scare again.

Could this be a flash back? Maybe so, and maybe that is why it is so hard to shake. After all, the scare of having ALS (although wrongly self induced by reading misinformation) IS a serious trauma, and seeing a twitch "could" be the visual stimulas that triggers the flash back of the sheer fear. Just like watching TV about a guy with ALS can "trigger" sheer panic all over again and create more doubts that what you have is benign.

It was just a thought...
Arron

Postby Nole on June 19th, 2003, 5:17 pm

I agree Aaron, it is also fear of the unknown...thats why I dont give a crap about these twitches anymore...no sense in worrying myself sick...every since I put it out of my head that I am not dying of some odd disease and came to the realization that I can still do the things I did in the past I was on the road to recovery...it is very hard to do and it takes time, but attainable if you believe in yourself and move past the flash backs.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 19th, 2003, 6:39 pm

Well put, Aaron! I totally agree. Having ALS is a phobia that is as hard to shake as, say,....fear of hights (which I also happen to have...).
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby kim on June 20th, 2003, 4:55 pm

I think your'e Right On!

I was diagnosed as having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I obsessed over my health. (ALS scare, worry over what if....???) I was also told that what I had was similar in nature to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Because I was so "freaked" over my issues, everytime I thought of it, it would send me into a spin, and exaggerate symptoms!

Mind you, this was not a life long OCD. Circumstances from the previous year triggered this behavior. It took me several months to over a year to get to the twitching point. and almost as long to get out! I'm now OCD free and twitch free! Amen!

Thanks for the thought.

Kim
Last edited by kim on June 21st, 2003, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kim on June 21st, 2003, 8:56 am

One more thing......

When I do get the occasional twitch, I will get some of the old freaked out feelings, but now I'm better able to deal with them, and put them right out of my mind. It takes work!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on June 23rd, 2003, 2:15 pm

This should be helping you all because you are starting to realize and learn what is happening and why you feel the way you do. Once you know what is happening (the fear, the flashbacks or "triggers" that set you off into fear), you should soon learn how to deal with it and remedy the probloem, if not just recognize the problem and KNOW that it is just your mind and NOT an actual underlying disease at the root of the problem :-) The more you learn about yourself, the better off you'll be in being able to handle it.
Arron

Postby Nole on June 24th, 2003, 11:08 am

I totally agree with your last post Aaron, once you know that it is your mind controlling the symptoms you can overcome it, it takes time and hard work but I can honestly say this past year has made me a very strong person and has taught me the power to control my thoughts and learn to relax. In a way the bfs has changed my life for the better because if I continued thinking and living the way I was, I would be a nervous wreck the rest of my life, relaxation and peace of mind is great!!!!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management