Tongue question

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue question

Postby Souris on June 18th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Hi there,

I'm now 1 year into twitching and still doing fine. I've been diagnosed with GERD and currently taking medication for it and I cut my caffeine consumption which makes the twitches lessen as well. My frequent throat irritations, tongue burning and nose drop were apparently caused by the GERD.
I still have some twitches every day and they increase when I'm stressed, and they are also on my tongue, which still worries me from time to time. One question to other tongue twitchers: does it happen to you that you trigger tongue twitches when you bite on your tongue? I sometimes press my tongue between my teeth when I'm stressed and it often triggers the twitches.
Just curious if it happens to anyone else.
Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm feeling a lot better today than a couple of months ago, and it is also due to this site.

Take care.

Souris
Souris

Postby dwl on June 18th, 2003, 2:54 pm

Hi Souris (or should that be Maus?)

My tongue twitching also comes on if I press my tongue against my teeth. Sometimes if I stick my tongue out when it's twitching & rest it on my lower lip I can feel the tiny muscles on the underside of the tonge twitching away. It's very unpleasant. Sometimes talking can bring it on & I have to stop for a couple of seconds or I would start slurring "s"s.

Does anyone else get this?

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on June 18th, 2003, 5:17 pm

I think I've had like one tongue twitch since all of my stuff started, but you have to consider this; the tongue is a muscle, just like any other muscle in your body, and with BFS it is common to be able to "trigger" a twitch by flexing that muscle. So, if your tongue is a muscle, and you bite on it, you are probably causing it to flex to an extent, thus causing it to twitch on demand. Seems logical to me and by the way... I don;t think you'd be able to "trigger" a twitch with a NMD. Those twitches happen for an entirely different reason than this benign condition. Stop worrying yourself!
Arron

Postby DogBone on June 19th, 2003, 4:38 pm

Count me in for the exact same sensations as you describe. My tongue twitches are quite common. It would be nice to be rid of them, but I am just starting to get used to them now.

DogBone
DogBone
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management