Cramping

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cramping

Postby spb on June 16th, 2003, 3:30 pm

Hello -
What does "cramping" feel like? I know that's an odd question but my leg has been hurting with what I think is a cramp for over two weeks. It usually is there when I wake up and then comes back later in the day.

It's not a feeling of a charley horse but rather a dull ache on the inside of my thigh. Sometimes it moves to the front quad and then back to the inner thigh. Sometimes there's burning.

I go to a doctor tomorrow and am obsessing (of course) but trying to be calm. (When not checking myself for muscle loss...)

Thanks very much. You are a very supportive group.
spb

Cramping

Postby Davey on June 16th, 2003, 4:00 pm

If it is a cramp, you would know.

Cramping is an spontaneous, involuntary and painful contraction of the muscles. It can occur in muscles at rest, or when certain movements trigger it. It produces an intense sharp pain, as opposed to the general soreness, dull ache, or burning sensation, and usually is relieved by stretching the affected muscle. However, residual soreness can persist once the cramp is relieved.

I have been cramping and twitching, mainly in my feet, calves and hands for the past 2 years. My cramps usually come when I make certain movements (like sitting with my feet tucked under, or curling my toes forward). I've even had cramps in my neck muscles when I yawn.

BFS sufferers frequently have muscle soreness, pains and aches, which ALS sufferers don't have (pain is not a presenting symptom). For this reason, some suspect that BFS may actually be a form of Fibromyalgia. My doctor thinks that I have Fibromyalgia/Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome. FUN FUN! :D
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reneeintx on June 16th, 2003, 5:53 pm

Davey~

I had some cramps this weekend that were a doozie. I was hopping around the bedroom moaning trying to get the darn thing to release. My twitching is mainly in my feet and calves also!! It's neat to meet someone with the exact same twitching spots :lol:

For all you GUYS out there that wonder what labor feels like... I'll tell ya'..take that charlie horse in your leg and pretend it's in your stomach. No amount of jumping, or massaging will help it. The cramp will last a couple of minutes each time and the "cramps" get closer and closer together for about 18 hours. At least this was with my first born.

It's the closest to death I think I've ever felt. I'd rather have leg cramps any day. :mrgreen:

Renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Cramps and Labor Pains

Postby Davey on June 17th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Renee -

Wow, I never thought of labor pains being that way, but you are right. The muscles surrounding the uterus are contracting. Like a giant leg cramp in your belly!

Makes me glad that I am male! :lol:
Cheers,

Dave

Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 17th, 2003, 4:22 pm

Hey Renee...
That is a great analogy...that is a lot what labor feels like! But at least you have something cute and snuggly at the end to show for it...unlike leg cramps.

And Dave, are you really a Proud sufferer of C-F syndrome?

~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Proud sufferer?

Postby Davey on June 19th, 2003, 3:32 pm

:D
Yes Jen, I am a proud sufferer of BFS! To endure not only the physical but the mental aspects of this malady says something about character. I'm sure anyone without BFS thinks that we are a bunch of hysterical people or hypochondriacs. They don't know what we go through.

So hold your head up high! You're one of the FEW, the PROUD, the BFS'ers! :wink:
Cheers,

Dave

Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 19th, 2003, 6:46 pm

Yeah! BFS Pride! I'm feeling it, baby!
:wink: Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor