Exercise and working out

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Exercise and working out

Postby dave_stereophonic on June 2nd, 2003, 1:45 pm

I don't do much exercise, but I've recently decided to start going swimming and to the gym regularly. I'm a bit worried though that it's going to make my BFS worse. Also, I'm not very heavily buildt, and can't help thinking that if I start to try and grow muscles I'm going to get ALS. I know that's silly, but it's at the back of my mind. Do any guys here regularly work out?

Dave
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Dave

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
dave_stereophonic

Exercise

Postby jcavan4125 on June 2nd, 2003, 4:58 pm

Hi Dave,
I've been twitching about six months now and have been working out the entire time. In fact all my lifts have gone up because of the fear I had about developing weakness. I simply refused to have any bad days in the gym. I do find that I don't recover as quickly as before and I am more sore for longer periods of time; but it has been worth it because working-out was the only thing (in the beginning) that proved to me that I wasn't getting weaker. Now that it has been six months with no weakness and a negative EMG I'm not as paranoid but I still don't miss workouts.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floater on June 4th, 2003, 7:45 pm

swimming is good for bfs so is laying out in the sun...it seems to work for me. :D
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby DanielDK on June 7th, 2003, 5:25 pm

Hey you!

I think it's a really good idea for you to start swimming, excercise etc. I've been lifting weights, running etc. all during my BFS-period, and it's really a wonderfull cure - I mean, for me at least, it's one of the only things that gvets my mind off BFS!
DanielDK

Postby DanielDK on June 7th, 2003, 5:25 pm

Hey you!

I think it's a really good idea for you to start swimming, excercise etc. I've been lifting weights, running etc. all during my BFS-period, and it's really a wonderfull cure - I mean, for me at least, it's one of the only things that gvets my mind off BFS!
DanielDK

Postby dave_stereophonic on June 8th, 2003, 4:39 am

I suppose the thing I worry about the most is this:
when I first started to get seriously worried about having ALS I was still at school, and it was mentioned during a biology lesson that Stephen Hawking, the famous scientist guy had ALS. Not only did I freak out, I made the mistake of looking at his website. There it mentioned how he discovered his ALS - he'd done little physical activity as a child (and neither did I) and when he went to university (as I have just done in September 02) he joined a rowing club. It was after that that he noticed weakness etc. I suppose I'm just worried that the same thing will happen to me - I've done so little exercise when I've been growing up - always hated sports lessons and did anything I could to get out of them. I occasionally went swimming and did a fair bit of cycling (as most kids do), but I'm worried that I'm suddenly going to give my body a really big kinda "shock to the system" and it's gonna react through ALS. For example - when I've been at university I've done quite a lot of walking around and since I've been back I've done absolutely nothing. I've been home for two weeks (prior to that I did a lot of gardening work for relatives who live near my uni, which was quite excurting), and apart from a shopping trip, I've been sitting around the house, lying on my bed watching TV and sitting at my computer. I've also recently been feeling a bit heavy-handed and clumsy which is making me worry about ALS. I went out on my bike today (something I haven't done for months) and when I got back had VERY sore and stiff legs. I start a job on Saturday - which is going to involve walking a fair bit there and back, and working 8:25-6:10 most days, which I'm also worried will exaccerbate the excercise worry.

On the other hand, I'm a bit unfit, and skinny, and would love to bulk myself up a bit. I'm just worried it's going to come at a price...
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Dave

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
dave_stereophonic

Postby Jenn311 on June 8th, 2003, 8:51 am

Hey Dave,

After reading your last post I understand your anxiety (to tell the truth, before reading that I was a bit confused as to where you had gotten the idea...Anxiety is not always rational. )

But exercise is good for you! Your body actually needs it to function properly. Trust me! Before I had kids I was very active. SINCE I've had kids, my life basically revolves around their needs and I am left with little time for doing anything for myself. As a result I am terribly out of shape. I can tell a huge difference in how I feel physically as well as mentally.

The chance that you have ALS at your age is so infinetly small as to be near zero. Don't waste the potentially healthiest years of your life worrying about your health. Worrying about something that will probably never happen is a waste of your precious time. Here's what you need to do: Write down a list of goals for your life. Keep it handy. When you find your mind wondering to your health worries, take out your list and think about all the things you are going to do in your life to accomplish these goals. In brief, you need to find some way to stay positively focused. Just don't allow your mind to wonder to those dark places.

As with any health concerns, if you notice something, get it checked out with a doctor. If he says it's OK, you need to trust him and move on.
Well, that's my two cents. I am glad you found a job, esp. one that has you walking a good bit to and fro everyday. That will be good for you body and your psyche!
Cheers! Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby DanielDK on June 8th, 2003, 9:12 am

Hi Dave!

We youngsters have got to hang in there! I just turned 18 last week, and have also been worrying excessively about ALS, MS etc....all those kinda names you dont wanna meet in a dark alley 2 AM. in the night!!!

I' ve recently paced myself a lot, and decided not to worry about diseases etc - easier said than done, but I' m convinced I'm getting there slowly (I HAVE to tell myself all this!). However, one of my biggest problems at the moment being, is that I feel terribly tired during the day...Even after a whole good nights sleep, I feel very fatigue, and I walk around yawning all the time. The thing is, I kinda feel as if I could lay down and sleep at ANY moment during the day! Whenever needed! But I keep myself awake.

And about Mr. Hawking, His universe and his disease - dont worry about. You simply do not have ALS. You shouldn't waste those good healthy years of yours (And neither should I!) worrying about a disease you would never even know existed, had it not been for the internet. Am I right? The internet is a portal to hell, at least it can be, if you look up various diseases, symptoms etc. You know, if you' re stubborn enough, and if you worry enough, you can get almost every single disease pattern to fit you - it's crazy, but very possible! I' ve been CONVINCED that I suffered from not only ALS, but also indeed MS, Muscular Atrophy, Parkinson's, brain tumor - you mention it, I've had it!! Haha!

But you know, we' re both young and healthy, and the thing is, EVERYBODY, even everybody our age, has got SOMETHING that bothers them. That may be astma, migraine, rheumatism or whatever. I think we should be glad that we at least dont suffer from any pain. Sure, mental-pain we de suffer from, but it's treatable. Now the summer is coming, it's *beep* hot in Denmark and the UK, and I' m coming to London in a few weeks, to rock up the whole city with you! Haha,,,just kidding, but I AM going to visit my brother (Along with my other brother) in Lodnon in the beginning of july).

So let me just end this up, by congratulating you, Dave, with your perfect health!!

Regardz,

Daniel
DanielDK

Postby dave_stereophonic on June 8th, 2003, 9:14 am

Thank you Jen, that was very encouraging. I just have problems getting things out of my head once they're in there. Thanks for the reply
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Dave

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
dave_stereophonic

Postby Rich Longer on June 8th, 2003, 5:44 pm

I have some sympathy with this.

I gave up exercise - not because I thought it would bring out ALS but because of the fear that I would find I couldn't do something

Thankfully having started again everything is fine.

BUT

I did initially find I got more fatigued than i used to and after exercise I get more stiff than I used to. I have posted about this and others have said similar things - I think its the exercise intolerance that people mention with BFS. Its got better over time.

Also it makes you twitch more afterwards - although for me that as well has stopped now.

Rich
Rich
Rich Longer

Postby Arron on June 11th, 2003, 12:00 am

Exercise is good for you, I do 12 oz. curls as often as I can! Ha-ha!, no really, there are a lot of people with BFS that simply can't exercise at all. BFS has a common symptom called "exercise intolerance", and what happens when you exert yourself is you get seriously fatigued, you get shakey, weak and rubbery feeling, sore and painful muscles and so on, and it can take days to recover from one episode of exertion.

Not all bodies are the same, so no one can say that exerciese is good for everybody. Just like the old, outdated milk slogan, "every body needs milk". Well, not of you're allergic to it, right? that's why you don;t see that slogan anymore.

OK, onto ALS and muscles. There was a study I saw that showed that a higher percentage of people that develope ALS had "lean muscle fiber" and were of the athletic type, such as Lou Gerrig. This certainly doesn't mean that exercising will "cause" ALS in any way, shape or form, so you can rest those thought for sure!

Just because Steven Hawking contracted ALS WHILE he was in a rowing program, doesn't mean he contracted ALS BECAUSE he was in a rowing program.

ALS has absolutely NOTHING to do with exercise! It is a nerve and brain disorder, not a muscle disorder. The muscles are affected as a RESULT of the dieases AFTER it has taken effect, not the other way around. So relax and exercise if it makes you feel better, and I'll just sit back being a lazy SOB :-)
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics