reading mayo clinic study

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

reading mayo clinic study

Postby Brian_B on May 28th, 2003, 10:30 pm

I didnt ever notice this before but on the mayo clinic study, there was several people that said they remembered something stressful before onset of symptoms first time

for me this is true, because mine began soon after sept 11,2001 which to me was a really stressful/worried time.

I guess was stressful for me from being a cop and so many cops and firefighters dying in the towers, as well as losing the belief that we "could" protect all the citizens from everything.

I cant imagine what it must be like for people that lost their loved ones in the towers.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Stress

Postby KERRI on May 29th, 2003, 6:14 am

You are correct, many people have BFS after or during a stressful time in their life. I had started taking a medical coding course and pluss working two full time jobs. I was definately suffering from burnout.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby kim63 on May 30th, 2003, 11:50 am

9/11 affected me greatly too. My husband was a firefighter and I became extremely anxiety ridden after it happened. Plus, both my mom and mother in law were going through cancer treatment at the time, then the anthrax thing got me convinced I would be next. I am certain that stress could have triggered my BFS.

Kim
kim63

Postby Floater on June 1st, 2003, 1:11 pm

was highly stressed at the time bfs started..i truely believe that bfs is caused by anxiety and stress. maybe we just tapped in to some part of ourselves thats really unknown. we have secret powers :P
Floater
Saint
Saint

agree and hope it is true

Postby Jane on June 3rd, 2003, 2:19 pm

My twitching and other BFS symptoms started after a long period of stress. We had been through infertility treatment for a year, and more aggressive treatment on the way, and my dad pasted last year, and the impact from the job market.

I believe BFS can be triggered by stress and anxiety.
Jane
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on June 7th, 2003, 9:29 am

Mine started after stress and a viral infection in the throat. My one year anniversary is this week and hapy to say I am going great, still twitch, very mild, and have moved on with my life and stopped worrying!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

how I started twitching

Postby eric on June 10th, 2003, 7:07 pm

first stress was my sister had a pancreatic transplant and she was supposed to be okay but after the operation she was in bad shape, watching her go from 130lbs to 80 lbs and she was only thirty four.she was the same age as I was. I also have 4 other brothers and sisters the same age within 1 year. we were all adopted at birth but in our eyes we were brother and sisters.she could not eat and the experiment went extremly wrong.she cried for help as she dwindled. at that time I went from reguler anxiety to severe positional vertigo. I was powerless the doctors new that they screwed her up and would not do anything to help her.her doctor moved to another state a few weeks after the operation. mount sinai was the hospital. I went to visit her in the hospital it was hard for me to walk I was so dizzy and I dont mean slight. I saw my mother crying and said what is going on and she replied "she died dear" from that moment I did not know what to do. she said it was mennengitis and she was brain dead, what killed me the most was she had a son who was 5 years old and the pain he and all of us went thru was exreuciating. this was not supposed to be!she did not want to be a diabetic so she risk her life for it.after I left the hospital having seen my sister or merely glanced at her before I left I was not strong enough to deal with it . that night I had a fever of 103.5 my leggs and every part of my body ached this went on for a week as I was also sick at the funeral. when I got home I was in bed for about a week. I then noticed that my calves and top of my feet were very tight.then I started to feel my calves twitch , I looked up on the internet for" tetnuss" sounded like something bizzare enough for my twitching but a week went by and I was still alive. Then I decided to look up mad cow. it was there that I became distressed I felt like this must be it . dizzyness and fassiculations, I read peoples encounters and they said they were constipated and everything I read I got but My brand of what I thought it would be. I was so worryed I bacame depressed and went to the neurologist and he tried to put my mind at ease but that only worked for a while.I kept saying was is this happening to me at 34 years old with a good business and family. I can see the muscles facciculating every where like popcorn popping under the skin.
I been told that people who cant express there feelings very well have physical manifestations. and you can dream up anything you want. This is how I started...extreme stress and loss of life dear to my heart and no matter how strong you are you are powerless to stop it .

\
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on June 10th, 2003, 11:42 pm

Is there a common denominator here? Everyone that posted has (or had) some kind of stressful situation, as does just about everyone on the surface of this planet these days. So what's the common denominator? EVERYONE has stress in their lives these days.

We live in a stressful world. It ain't "Leave it to Beaver" anymore and we don't live in "Mayberry" with Andy, Barney, Opie and Goober. We live with gun toting gansters, drug dealers, theives, kidnappers and so on, and have two working parent families to keep up with the "on the go" lifestyles we've all come accustomed to. We have houses that cost way more than some could ever afford, cars that cost as much as houses with most people not being ablke to afford such things like that. Credit card payments, loans, kid's, etc. which ALL adds to the stress factor.

For the one's that posted that they had stressful times when their BFS started, there are just as many that didn't have any stress at all when their twitches started (me included). It is once again, one of the many mysteries of BFS.

We ALL have stress these days. In my studies and readings and personal experience, I have found that BFS is a little bit more than something as simple as stress induced, but it is all of our cumulative information that is moving us forward and hopefull onto some real answers with this stuff, so keep posting about your doctor visits and experiences. We WILL find the real common denominator sometime, trust me.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics