also(mayo clinic study)

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

also(mayo clinic study)

Postby Brian_B on June 1st, 2003, 11:33 pm

I also noticed it said that some people with BFS had a gastrointestinal disturbance

I had severe bleeding in stomach before twitches started.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

acid reflux disease

Postby KERRI on June 2nd, 2003, 5:12 am

I have had bad acid reflux and it was at it's worst last July, my doctor had put me on nexium back then.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby sarah on June 2nd, 2003, 1:37 pm

I think the reason there are lots of people with gastro problems that also have BFS is because both have strong connections to anxiety!
sarah

Postby Arron on June 11th, 2003, 12:20 am

90% of the world has some type of gastro troubles. That;s why you see so many commercials on Rolaids, Tums, Imodium, etc. We all have pimples from time to time too, but that doesn't mean there is a connection between BFS and acne. This same scenario was brought-up about a year ago on Herpes and BFS, but being that most of the world's population has it, it isn't a very good link between the two. It's like saying chapped lips or dry skin are linked to BFS. heck, everydobe has one of thos eat one time or another...

There is definately more of an underlying factor to BFS than stress, anxiety, gastro problems, Herpes, pimples and so on, but that doesn't mean that people with BFS aren't going through an extra amount of stress and anxiety BECAUSE of their fear of having something really bad, like ALS, which is a reasonable response in any normal person.
Arron

Postby sarah on June 11th, 2003, 2:21 pm

I still think that the common thread between all of us is anxiety, not only anxiety about the possibility of having a serious disease, but general anxiety before the twitching stated. At least, this is true for me. I know that I have had anxiety/depression my whole life. Just a thought.
Sarah
sarah

Postby Jenn311 on June 11th, 2003, 2:32 pm

Me too, Sarah...
I think there is definitely a connection.
Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby sarah on June 11th, 2003, 2:45 pm

I'd be curious to hear from people that have not had anxiety/depression before the twitching started.
sarah

Postby Arron on June 12th, 2003, 11:42 am

trust me, there's a lot of people that had no anxiety, stress or strain in their lives when this stuff started. There are probably 10 posts from people like that in this web site in older posts and this debate has been discussed over and over again.

There's no doubt, stress and anxiety feeds this stuff, but anxiety and stress is a normal part of life and these days, more common than it was many years ago, but so far, there hasn't been much of anything showing that anxiety "causes" BFS.

I do have a theory though that adrenaline might be the cause or some kind of other bodily chemical imbalance, rather than a neurological disorder like everyone so far believes. There hasn't been a neuro yet that can explain why BFS happens or what it even is. All they can say is what it isn't... and it isn't any kind of neurological disease, because those are ruled out before BFS is ruled in, hence all of the testing, EMG's and so on... so that kind of leaves you to think we should try barking up another tree...
Arron

Postby Rich Longer on June 12th, 2003, 12:18 pm

I think Arron's post is right.

I am not anxiety prone - I have not suffered with health anxiety before. However I did have a stressful time and a viral illness before this started they may or may not be linked - i don't know.

I have said many times before, I am sure i have a real medical condition - it may not be serious, it may not be understood by current medicine , but what it is not is in the mind.

One day i am sure someone will discover what this is - a chemical imbaance, a virus, a hormone - who knows.

Its also thankfully not serious - just rather disturbing
Rich
Rich Longer

Postby DogBone on June 18th, 2003, 9:24 am

I agree with the gastro stuff and I think it may be related to Celiacs as was posted here a while ago. I also have gastro probs.

DogBone
DogBone
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics