Are we all cyberchondriacs?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Are we all cyberchondriacs?

Postby Jenn311 on May 29th, 2003, 12:05 am

Has anyone heard the term "cyberchondria"? I just learned that one on another site. It's when you have symptoms of some disease, so you look it up on the web and self-diagnose via the internet. Apparently it's a growing trend! Sound familiar?

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

cyberchondria

Postby KERRI on May 29th, 2003, 6:04 am

Yeah, i have hear of it and I was definately a cyberchondriac.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby sarah on May 29th, 2003, 1:30 pm

Same here - it's a bad habit!! I always feel I'm only trying to reassure myself that I don't have some terrible disease, but it never works out that way. Best advice is don't go there.
sarah

Postby Floater on June 1st, 2003, 12:49 pm

hypochondriacs should never have access to the internet... or a Merck Manual. :idea:
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby sarah on June 1st, 2003, 3:23 pm

Floater, I second that!! We only make ourselves more worried.
sarah

Postby reneeintx on June 2nd, 2003, 11:12 am

I'm guilty here :( I also need to be banned from the health and diseases section at Barnes and Noble.

Renee :mrgreen:
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on June 2nd, 2003, 12:37 pm

Hmm, thinking I should post this anonymously, but what the hell:

I think the low point in my life as a hypochondriac was a few years ago on my birthday. I had just finished university and had been working over the summer while living at my parents place. They have some big medical books, and I'd sort of randomly read through a bunch of nasty diseases and conditions in my spare time while watching TV.

Well, one weekend on my birthday it looked like my girlfriend and I were getting back together after a year of being split up when I suddenly had a powerfully strong pain in my testicle. Flashback to the medical book and a condition known as torsion of the testis, wherein the testicle becomes twisted and blood is cut off from the testicle. It rarely rights itself on its own, and prompt medical attention and surgery are required if you want much chance of saving the testicle.

Weeeeeelll, it was around midnight and we were out in the middle of nowhere. I was in no state to drive and my girlfriend had a broken leg, so we had to get her mother to drive me to the hospital. I don't remember what the explanation was -- something about a migraine perhaps? -- anyway, they rushed me through the emergency ward when we finally got there, and they promptly allayed my fears.

My ex-girlfriend and I never did get back together, though :(
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 2nd, 2003, 1:53 pm

Hey Alexis...

Wow...how embarrassing! Migrane, eh? I have a brother that is a paramedic and he got a call one time to go and get this guy who had the same problem...it happened while he and his girlfriend were, uh...well, you know. Anyway....he said that is the most painful thing that can ever happen to a man...this guy was in so much pain he couldn't breathe. I'm glad yours wasn't that bad! So you haven't been a hyperchondriac that long then eh? I have been one since I was really little. My grandmother was one, and she passed it on to me. My mom too, has almost all the pages in her medical books dog-eared. I guess we are all a little wacky.
Cheers! (hmmm...saying that makes me want a beer, esp. since I just came from campus where the heat index is well into the 100s today...we are in for a bad summer :cry: )

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Arron on June 10th, 2003, 9:52 pm

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Just remember, a hypochondriac thinks he has something he really doesn't. We all have symptoms, REAL symptoms, and there's a difference between being a hypochondriac and someone that really does have symptoms of something that potentially "could" be a sign of something VERY serious, so don't be so hard on yourselves.

If this was a forum of whiner's that always thought they had colds or other benign things, then that would be a different story, but what we all have is REAL and when you read (no matter how incorrect it is) that "twitches are a sign of a serious motor neuron disease such as ALS", wheteher it's on the internet or in some outdated medical book, then you have every *beep* right to be scared! Being scared for a viable reason is REASONABLE, where as a true hypochondriac makes un reasonable assumptions.

Hang in there... NO ONE has EVER gotten worse from BFS or developed anythig other than BFS since this stuff was first discovered. THAT should be some pretty concrete evidence that it is benign, but as one doctor buddy of mine put it, "some benign things aren't very benign". So yes, BFS can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it certainly isn't going to render you helpless like ALS or anything...
Arron

Postby Jenn311 on June 10th, 2003, 10:26 pm

Hey Aaron...

So true! I am already feeling better about my mental health, at least! :D
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby dave_stereophonic on June 11th, 2003, 10:07 am

I think we're all victims of that - I certainly am. There was an article in a newspaper (the Daily Telegraph for anyone in the UK) a few months ago that said how increasingly common cyberchondria is becoming. It does make you wonder - if there wasa ban on publishing medical information online, would our problems be quite so severe? Maybe we'd all order big medical libraries! I must admit though, I did go into a bookstore when my internet was down once to look in a medical text book :oops:
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Dave

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
dave_stereophonic

Postby DanielDK on June 11th, 2003, 2:00 pm

Hi Guys...haha - YES, I if were a doctor, I' d definitely diagnose myself as a cyberchondriac! That is...a cyberchondriac with a life-threatening, debilitating un-discovered disease!! Haha....just kidding - dont many of us feel like that, eh' ?

I have even pushed my cyberchondriac' ism to the max...Once in a while, I' d go to do an internet/google-search on a horrible and rare disease, like AIDS or Progeria, something that I was POSITIVE wouldn't in any way be connected to twitching and my other symptoms - just to re-assure myself of the fact, that other people are suffering more than I. And what did I discover - BOOM, all of a sudden, my symptoms were accurately matching those of all the rare and obscure diseases I would look up on the net...haha...sad, but true. I seriously thought that I was suffering from Progeria (A condition, where the body ages 8-9 times faster than normal, and where you usually pass away before the age of 18.)- Well, I' m 18, i thought I had a slow-boat version, and I also thought that i was gettin g older rapidly, growing gery hair, getting rough skin...well - I guess I mistook for another benign condition termed "adolescence"...Well.....I know I' m crazy!! I dont deny it!

Best of luck and good health to all of ya,

Daniello
DanielDK

Wuhuu!

Postby DanielDK on June 11th, 2003, 2:06 pm

By the way!!! Wuhuuu!

I am now officially a "Member"! Wuhuuu!! Two stars for me!

Well, I just wanted to say, that in the future I'd like to be adressed "....Member Daniel, Sir?"

Hahahaha........THIS was the worlds greatest joke ever....haha - I cant stop giggle though! I knew my parents should be proud of me! i knew I become something big one day! And here it is....Daniel = a "Member".

Haha - Just kidding (You know I am), and hugs to all of you!

Daniel
DanielDK

Wuhuu!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management