skin crawling sensations

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

skin crawling sensations

Postby fidget on May 11th, 2003, 9:19 pm

Hello all, I am new to this board. It was nice finding this place but as you all probably know it is always nice {though rare} to find others to relate to. I'm 41 years old and have been suffering with bfs and fibromyalgia for over 7 years now. I thought I had felt every symptom known to live in this curse till recently. I am wondering if any of you have ever felt skin sensations not usually considerd twitch-like? My twitching seems to be breaking off into new bizarre feelings lately. Feelings of cold, misty water brushing along my face and arms. Almost as if someone has filled a spray bottle with cool water and is lightly spraying me on my extremities and in my face. A truly annoying feeling though not painful. Makes me wonder if its raining half the time. Any input would be helpful...thx
fidget

YUP I HAVE HAD IT ALL

Postby KERRI on May 12th, 2003, 8:37 am

:lol: I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW THAT I HAVE MET PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME, I JUST THOUGHT I WAS LOSING IT. I GET CHILLED FEELINGS, BUGS CRAWLING ON MY SKIN SENSATIONS, AND EVEN A FEELING OF BURNING ITCHING SKIN. YA GOTTA LOVE IT. WE HAVE TO START EXPECTING BFS AND LEARN TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH IT, INSTEAD OF CONSIDERING IT THE ENEMY. THIS IS WHAT MY DAD SAYS.

WHAT MEDICINE DO THEY HAVE YOU ON, I HAVE FOUND IN READING AT THE FORUM, SOME MEDICINES HAVE CRAZY SIDE EFFECTS.

KERRI
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby reneeintx on May 12th, 2003, 11:40 am

Hi fidget, glad to meet you!

I'm 39 and started twitching in December. Lately I've been feeling the rainy, water brushing against my skin also. I keep wiping my skin where I'm feeling the sensation thinking it's starting to rain, and it isn't raining :shock: What the he## is this???

BFS/fibromyalgia for 7 years. What did your neurologist say when your symptoms first started? Did you have an emg? Do you have a doctor specifically for fibro?

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SoJerseyMom on May 14th, 2003, 1:47 pm

Fidget, I have a lot of "non-twitching" sensations. Got them before the twitches. Sometimes it feels like cobwebs are brushing my hands. Also, I've had a feeling like a trickle of water down the back of my calf. So you
definitely are not alone with this!
SoJerseyMom

Postby uber on May 16th, 2003, 4:52 pm

I also have the feeling of water running down my legs, its 1 of the many Parathesia like symptoms associated with so many problems its just impossible to list, the most likely cause is Anxiety in this case.

Parathesia is illnesses such as MS, is sometimes pins and needles, extreme itching or burning a stabbing pain in the face or in most cases numbness any the limbs or groin area. I believe you can also get a tightness around the trunk known as the MS hug, which is another form of MS parathesia.

Parathesia caused by Anxiety or BFS or from what I can gather Fibro or ME etc can be very different, and have all sorts of strange symptoms...like Creepy Crawly, Feeling of Water running, the Feeling like your Skin is stinging and can be sensitive to touch. Also medications can cause Parathesia, in paticular Anti Depressents cause this as a side effect quite commonly. Its not worth speculating but a bad cold can bring on a Post Viral problem that can cause Parathesia too, which is probably the culprit for a number of people on these boards. But after a recent discussion with my Neuro, the most common cause is usually Anxiety linked to Sub Concious Hyperventilating.

Hope this helped a little.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 16th, 2003, 5:20 pm

Hey Uber...

Nice post! YOu have come a long way since you first started posting here!
COngrats on your progress.
:wink: Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on May 17th, 2003, 11:23 am

Of course the other avenue to explore with these starnge feelings is Neuropathy...once again Neuropathy is not the same kind of Parathesia associated with MS or twitches associated with ALS or Tremors associated with PD.

Neuropathy can be caused by other problems..such as HIV or Diabetes etc...all worth looking into.

And the real scary one is looking up the symptoms of Arachnoiditis which also causes fasics and this strange feeling, which is a horrible disease on equal terms with ALS, but lets not all get worried over nothing here folks ;)
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby stardust on May 28th, 2003, 12:44 pm

your exactly right about saying lets not get all worked up over nothing. Arachnoiditis mainly results from infection, including syphillis and tubercular meningitis, trauma (including that resulting from surgery, lumbar puncture, and spinal anesthesia, or a diagnostic procedure called a myelogram which is performed in patients prior to spinal surgery. Symptoms include numbness, tingling, and a characteristic stinging and burning pain in the legs.
So why are you bringing up all of these nasty things like neuropathy and arachnoiditis?? Are you like trying to scare someone or what. People mostly come here because they are terrified of having some disease and they want to know more about bfs and probably to make sure that it's not ms or als etc. Not to come here and learn of some other diseases. You can let them do the searching on there own if what they have is not bfs. I am currently freaking out about the whole als thing. I was so happy to come here and read about BFS. Keyword BENIGN. So please don't come here and rain on my BFS parade. "k"
stardust

Postby KERRI on May 28th, 2003, 1:21 pm

stardust wrote:your exactly right about saying lets not get all worked up over nothing. Arachnoiditis mainly results from infection, including syphillis and tubercular meningitis, trauma (including that resulting from surgery, lumbar puncture, and spinal anesthesia, or a diagnostic procedure called a myelogram which is performed in patients prior to spinal surgery. Symptoms include numbness, tingling, and a characteristic stinging and burning pain in the legs.
So why are you bringing up all of these nasty things like neuropathy and arachnoiditis?? Are you like trying to scare someone or what. People mostly come here because they are terrified of having some disease and they want to know more about bfs and probably to make sure that it's not ms or als etc. Not to come here and learn of some other diseases. You can let them do the searching on there own if what they have is not bfs. I am currently freaking out about the whole als thing. I was so happy to come here and read about BFS. Keyword BENIGN. So please don't come here and rain on my BFS parade. "k"

GUYS WE DO NOT HAVE ARACHNOID WHATEVER. I think someone may have said this before, that more than anything we suffer from overactive minds, those of you who may be worried about this disease, because you found it on the net, I understand your worries but you do not have that.

In-fact when you really think about it, we have twitches we know that, they made us very, very, very scared, but that is all we started with, atleast I know I did, then I looked up twitch on the net, what a bean brain. Once I did that I had, buzzing, tingling, tremoring, headaches, and these symptoms would come and go, come and go but the twitches always stayed. I think that all of the non-twitching symptoms are symptoms of anxiety, check out anxiety they are all listed. The twitches just drove us nuts.

I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, TAKIN MY LIFE BACK, THESE STUPID TWITCHES WILL NOT BE THE DEATH OF ME, I WILL SIMPLY NOT ALLOW IT. :mrgreen:

When you get mean at fight these things, your whole life changes, your outlook is totally difference. I have decided to make it a contest, I plan on making it to the finish line and leaving BFS in the dust behind me.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby KERRI on May 28th, 2003, 1:35 pm

KERRI wrote:
stardust wrote:your exactly right about saying lets not get all worked up over nothing. Arachnoiditis mainly results from infection, including syphillis and tubercular meningitis, trauma (including that resulting from surgery, lumbar puncture, and spinal anesthesia, or a diagnostic procedure called a myelogram which is performed in patients prior to spinal surgery. Symptoms include numbness, tingling, and a characteristic stinging and burning pain in the legs.

FOR THE RECORD I LOOKED UP HIV AND ARACHNOIDITIS, JUST TO MAKES SURE I WAS CORRECT, NOT BECAUSE I AM BEING NEUROTIC.

Although they are both surviable, HIV is debateable, how long you will survive that is, but it is better than ALS, atleast you have a better chance of living longer and the neuropathy in HIV they believe is linked to the strong meds they have to take.

as for the arachnoiditis, know way, know way.

GUYS WE DO NOT HAVE ARACHNOID WHATEVER. I think someone may have said this before, that more than anything we suffer from overactive minds, those of you who may be worried about this disease, because you found it on the net, I understand your worries but you do not have that.

In-fact when you really think about it, we have twitches we know that, they made us very, very, very scared, but that is all we started with, atleast I know I did, then I looked up twitch on the net, what a bean brain. Once I did that I had, buzzing, tingling, tremoring, headaches, and these symptoms would come and go, come and go but the twitches always stayed. I think that all of the non-twitching symptoms are symptoms of anxiety, check out anxiety they are all listed. The twitches just drove us nuts.

I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, TAKIN MY LIFE BACK, THESE STUPID TWITCHES WILL NOT BE THE DEATH OF ME, I WILL SIMPLY NOT ALLOW IT. :mrgreen:

When you get mean at fight these things, your whole life changes, your outlook is totally difference. I have decided to make it a contest, I plan on making it to the finish line and leaving BFS in the dust behind me.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Yes, to the Water Sensations

Postby Maureen on June 1st, 2003, 7:12 pm

I've had benign fascics for 8 years -- with possible chronic Lyme disease. Yes absolutely to the water droplet sensations. Mine have gotten much better over the years but are never gone.
Maureen

Water sensations, bugs crawling, cobwebs, etc

Postby angela on June 3rd, 2003, 9:36 am

Hi, I'm new to the site too and my upper lip has finally stopped twitching as of last week, only to be followed by twitches in my knee, scalp, back, elbow, & little toe on my left foot.
I have had the warm water running down the back of my calf sensation on & off for 2 yrs or so. Also, I've had a cold-type burning paresthseia on my chest, bugs crawling under the skin on my face, cobwebbs brushing my face. If I think about it, many of these symptoms have been present on & off for several years. I've tried to "notice and ignore" and that is really helping with the anxiety. But what REALLY helps is reading similar stories and knowing I am not totally nuts! Thanks, you guys!
Angela
angela

Water sensations, bugs crawling, cobwebs, etc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management