falling

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

falling

Postby KERRI on May 22nd, 2003, 7:46 am

I posted about falling yesterday, how do you determine, foot weakness and foot drop.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on May 22nd, 2003, 7:58 am

Kerri...

Don't relapse on me here! I can't walk 5 ft. in 3 1/2 in. heels without falling (therefore I don't wear heels...) If you fall down all the time for no reason, then you should be concerned. I go through periods where I will drop things a lot and I start getting worried...but then I will not drop anything in the days following and I start calming down about it. Don't let yourself get worked up about something that happens to everyone occasionally. Remeber, you have had 4 lean EMGs. You are fine. You twitch, which is bothersome...but harmless. Just don't let your mind go there. You need to live your life enjoying everyday. Sure, people with BFS do get ALS. I think there has been what....one person on record that has? Well, people without BFS get it too. It's a horrible disease, but fortunately it is exceedingly rare, esp for someone your age....I mean, do you worry that you have a brain tumor everytime you have a headache? Those are still rare, but more common than ALS.
Have you found a good therapist yet? Call today. I hate to see you wasting your youth on worrying about this! Life is too precious.
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on May 22nd, 2003, 4:05 pm

Well the best way to determine foot weakness is to test yourself for percieved and physical weakness. Try hopping on the spot, take turns between your right and left foot, its a great way to test the strength in your feet, as you need to use your toes to push.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on May 23rd, 2003, 4:04 am

i dunno, uber -- the thing about testing oneself is that it can be compulsive and unsatisfying; no matter how many times you test yourself, you can test yourself more, and in the process you may hurt or tire yourself to the point where you only become more nervous about the whole thing. if possible, i would think a trip to the neuro for just some quick tests would be more productive. if those aren't possible, though, i guess your hopping ideas would be good -- if not pursued obsessively.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management