How bad does your leg pain get?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

How bad does your leg pain get?

Postby 25 on May 16th, 2003, 3:35 pm

My leg pain is back (I think it was gone for about a wk) and the past two days have been awful! The back of my thighs and my calves ache so much I don't know what to do. They hurt when I sit but more so when I stand and/or walk. I don't know if I have any weakness because I am not moving much lately because of the pain. I know that when I stand I feel tightness in the back of my thighs. This is awful! My panic mode is on once again! I keep thinking, I have to relax.....but how can anyone relax w/ so much pain? Advil doesn't seem to help, I've tried... How common is pain in als? I'm asking it here because I refuse to go to "those" sites.
My arms seem to ache as well, but only when I lift them and hold them up for a while....
anyone?

Postby dwl on May 16th, 2003, 4:41 pm

Hi,

I used to get quite bad leg pains. All gone now, so hang on in there!
It's VERY common in BFS.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Leg Pains

Postby KERRI on May 16th, 2003, 7:01 pm

I had bad pains in my legs it lasted for some weeks before it went away, don't worry about it. Do not go looking for answers, pain is not associated with ALS, not chronic pain anyway. I found that a nice hot bath always relieved the pain, and some blue-emu pain solutions, SAMS club sells it.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on May 17th, 2003, 1:52 am

Hey Kerri!

You know that people who come to this forum scared out of their wits are finally making a turn around when they put forth the effort to comfort others. I am so glad to see you doing just that and I encourage you to use your experiences to help others :D !
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby dave_stereophonic on May 18th, 2003, 8:10 am

Hey,

I get extremely bad leg aches - you're not alone! My joints quite often ache, but I've found taking Cod Liver Oil quite effective in lessening the pain from them. How's your mattress? I only ask because I recently found that sleeping on a bed that hasn't been slept on for 13 years (like mine) and doesn't have a big fat sag in the middle on both sides (also like mine) has been really effective. If you haven't changed your mattress for 10 years then I would advise you to do so, unless, like me, you can't really afford one; in which case, turning it over and around periodically can sometimes make a difference

Take care

Dave
dave_stereophonic

Postby Jenn311 on May 18th, 2003, 11:07 am

Oh Dave...

You are such a cutie. Hope you get a new mattress soon!
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby dave_stereophonic on May 18th, 2003, 2:55 pm

I'm sorry, did that sound silly?! I was being serious about the mattress thing, although I accept that it is more to do with BFS than the bed you're sleeping on.
dave_stereophonic

Postby Jenn311 on May 18th, 2003, 5:26 pm

Hey Dave...

No you didn't sound silly at ALL!
I don't doubt in all sincerity that you need a new mattress...it is nice that we can laugh about this sometimes though.

Take Care!
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Carolyn4 on May 19th, 2003, 6:39 am

My leg pain sounds exactly like yours! When I sit mostly but often when I'm walking around, aching down the back of my thighs and behind my knees. I was attributing it to sciatica, could that be your problem?
Carolyn4

Postby Rich Longer on June 2nd, 2003, 7:00 pm

This sounds familiar.

I had pain in my left leg and leftarm for ages. it has now more or less gone away.

My view is that this is a real neurological condition - so you get real symptoms. Some of these are really unsettling. Thankfully its not a serious or life threatening condition ( Mayo study etc).

I found the pain worse then the twitches in many ways.

Rich
Rich
Rich Longer

Postby Brian_B on June 2nd, 2003, 10:43 pm

do you have flat feet?
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

pain in legs

Postby Renae on June 6th, 2003, 8:20 am

Hi there-

I have also experienced a lot of pain my my legs (well, mostly my left leg). I just seem to get a lot of muscle aches & pains! I agree with Rich...sometimes the pain is worse than the twitching. I think I've gotten so used to the twitching that I don't even notice it much anymore. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Take care :D
Renae
Renae

Postby uber on June 8th, 2003, 3:59 am

A lot of these symptoms you are all describing could be down to some sort of Neuropathy, some people get mild forms of Neuropathy that seem to come and go within days or mins/hours at times....for example I find when I walk, I get the feeling of water trickling down my legs and if I keep walking it starts to get quite painful after a while....Neuropathy is usually caused by infection, thyroid, epliepsy etc..all worth having checked. Remember Neuropathy is also made worse by stress and anxiety and isnt a serious problem as long as its managed correctly.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management