New and very worried

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New and very worried

Postby sharon17 on May 15th, 2003, 10:07 am

Hi,
I am a 36 year old female who has been experiencing twitching for 4 weeks today. I actually experienced this for a few weeks in February while I was on the Atkins diet but Magnesium supplements helped calmed them way down. They originally started in my calves and soon were everywhere. I made the mistake of looking up twitching on the internet and I have not been the same since. I went to my Doctor and he put me on Zoloft and told me that we could discuss it at my next appointment but that he thought it was probably nothing to worry about. I went through a couple of weeks of testing my leg and arm strength - to the point of straining my muscles. The Zoloft makes me clench my teeth at night so I thought my jaw pain was a bad sign also. It seems to be getting better. I do notice that I seem to have less exercise tolerance than I used to. I can walk and move around fine but my legs seem to be achey after a long walk. The twitching was nearly constant at one time. I would get spasm type twitching - buzzing - involuntary finger movements - twitching after I sneezed or coughed etc. It really started going away and then about 3 days ago it came back strong in my calves. The night before, I decided to dig up my garden with a shovel. It was very strenuous and I am wondering if that may be the reason the twitches came back? I am so scared but my appointment is not for a few more weeks. Sorry about the long post but I am so worried. I know that an EMG will give me an answer but as of right now I am uninsured and saving up money to go to my next Doctors appontment. Thanks for reading, Sharon
sharon17

Postby fastpage on May 15th, 2003, 11:37 am

Sharon: You could just plug my name into your story and they would be virtually identical-symptoms and all. It is odd you mention the Atkins diet as I went on it in early November and quit at the end of February when I noticed the first twitches. I don't know what the diet could have to do with twitching though. I thought maybe vitamin D deficiency since I am inside all day without even a window and I gave up dairly products while on Atkins. No change though, since I started drinking milk again. Magnesium supplements have not made much difference for me, but I gave up caffeine, started Zoloft (which has worked very well for me) and the intermittent Ativan when I can't sleep and have noticed much improvement. I still have days when the symptoms come back in force
though. I have seen two GPs who are not concerned but they referred me to a neuro at my request. Your symptoms sound very similar to what many people experience. I am sure some of them with more expertise than I will also reply but I am not overly concerned and I don't think you should be either. Keep us posted. --Graig
fastpage

Postby reneeintx on May 16th, 2003, 11:13 am

Hi Sharon-

I'm 39 years young. My twitches started with a simple eye twitch that within a month progressed to everywhere. I've been twitching for 6 months. It comes and goes. Somedays I have just a couple of twitches others it's taking over my body. Mine are concentrated in my feet and calves.

I woke up from my sleeping today with an arm cramp, my arm is sore now. :(

Every time I jog or do yard work the twitching is constant, but I'm not going to let it get me down. I going to do the same things I've always done. Yeah I may be slower or get tired more easily but this BFS stuff is not going to control my life.

I like fastpage believe you have good ole' BFS. We're all here to help you so don't hesitate to post anything.

I've been without insurance before. So I know what you are going through. Is there any way you can go to a health department or apply for medicaid? I hate this country's health care system...it sucks and blows :mad:

You hang in there girl! Those few weeks will pass by quickly and you'll get your BFS diagnosis and hang around here with us twitchers.

Wishing you all the best,

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby fastpage on May 16th, 2003, 12:31 pm

Renee: Try having a very serious illness in Canada, as my father did (a stroke) and you will never advocate socialized medicine. He still suffering from paralysis and speech problems as result of delayed and incompetent treatment which is the norm up there. He was never given TPA, sat in the biggest emergency room in the province for 7 hours without even seeing a nurse, let alone a doctor. Another Canadian friend of mine waited 3 months for cancer surgery by which time it was too late. Don't mean to get off topic, as our system has it's drawbacks but it is better than anywhere else. I have serious problems right now replacing my health insurance but I don't think it is my neighbor's responsibility to pay for my health care. There is always a way to take care of things if one wants to badly enough. The quality of our care is also heads and shoulders above anywhere else. Go try another country sometime. Not trying to be nasty, just tired of constant complaining about things in this country when we have it better than anywhere else in the world in nearly every way.
fastpage

Postby DogBone on May 16th, 2003, 3:36 pm

Fastpage - Amen to that discourse on socialized medicine. I had a good friend of mine sit bed-ridden in Canada for 9 months waiting for surgery on her legs. It was awful for her. Our system is not perfect, but I sure love and appreciate it.

DogBone
DogBone
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics