BFS always anxiety related?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS always anxiety related?

Postby Carolyn4 on May 13th, 2003, 6:49 am

Does BFS usually go hand in hand with anxiety? As I said, I have had a flare-up this past week (right now my right thumb is twitching like mad) and on Sunday, right out of the blue, I had a panic attack. I have now had a total of THREE panic attacks in my life...three too many! I don't feel as though stress is a problem in my life right now. Could this panic attack and my twitching be unrelated?
Carolyn4

Postby Davidd on May 13th, 2003, 7:59 pm

Carolyn-

What you are asking is sort of like which came first, the chicken or the egg? I think BFS and anxiety do go hand in hand for some people. Until I developed BFS I never had a "panic attack" in my life. To answer your question, I think that it is possible that they are un-related but my bet is that somewhere, somehow they are related to each other. You mentioned that you had two panic attacks prior to the one on Sunday...did they happen before the BFS symptoms or have you gotten all 3 after you discovered the twitches?

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

carolyn

Postby KERRI on May 13th, 2003, 8:54 pm

Davidd wrote:Carolyn-

What you are asking is sort of like which came first, the chicken or the egg? I think BFS and anxiety do go hand in hand for some people. Until I developed BFS I never had a "panic attack" in my life. To answer your question, I think that it is possible that they are un-related but my bet is that somewhere, somehow they are related to each other. You mentioned that you had two panic attacks prior to the one on Sunday...did they happen before the BFS symptoms or have you gotten all 3 after you discovered the twitches?

--David

I AM NEW AT BFS, TWITCHING FOR A YEAR, BUT I WILL SAY PANIC ATTACKS HAVE BEEN IN MY PAST,I THINK THEY ARE SORT OF RELATED. I THINK THE TWITCHES CAUSE US TO HAVE MORE PANIC ATTACKS, AND THE FACT THAT WE ARE PANICKED NATURALLY PROBABLY BROUGHT ABOUT THE FASCICS. SEE I USED TO GET BAD ACID REFLUZX AND THAT HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH FASCICS. I THINK THEY DO GO HAND AND HAND, THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION.

KERRI
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Carolyn4 on May 14th, 2003, 7:52 am

No, the other two panic attacks happened before the twitching started. The only thing I can connect to the twitching, on a timeline basis, is the birth of my son, two years ago August 1. It was shortly after he was born that I noticed the first twitching, in my side and in my tongue.
Carolyn4

Postby Floater on May 15th, 2003, 8:54 pm

bfs and anxiety are a marriage made in heaven
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Jenn311 on May 15th, 2003, 9:14 pm

heaven, eh? seems more like hell
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Arron on June 10th, 2003, 11:17 pm

There has been no evidence what so ever that twitching has anything to do with anxiety or panic attacks. It is totally reasonable to go into a sheer panic attack when you are viably scared that you may have something seriously wrong with you.

Does Cancer have anything to do with anxiety? Hell no, but don't you think some people go into a sheer panic attack when they get diagnosed with a terrible form of Cancer? Of course they do, but does that mean Cancer and anxiety go hand in hand or are a match made in heaven? No way.

It's a scary thing thinking you might have something as horrible as ALS, and when you are misinformed that twitches are an early sign of ALS, it is hard to conviince yourself again that it isn't true, so naturally, anxiety would play a major role in the whole scenario.

People with BFS have every right to be scared and to panic when they think they might have the early symptoms of a horrific disease such as ALS.

ANY "normal" person would have anxiety over a thought like that and unfortunately, people are so misinformed and there are so many grey areas with twitching possibly being benign, and maybe not being benign, that the anxiety lingers-on for many months in some people because there is smply no quick test (like Cancer) to say immediately whether you do or don't have ALS or anything else nasty.

Some doctors say even if you have a clean EMG, you should get a second one again in a few months to rule out any possibility of having ALS. Well what are you suppossed to do during those months, relax? Yeah right! Maybe with a 40mg dose of Valium or a 6mg dose of Ativan you "might" be able to relax.

So in a nutshell, does anxiety "cause" BFS? No. Does twitching "cause" panic attacks? No. Is it "reasonable" to be scared, anxious and even have panic attacks because you think you might have some kind of deadly disease? Of course it's reasonable, but it doesn't mean one is connected to the other in any way, shape or form molecularly.
Arron

Postby Rich Longer on June 11th, 2003, 1:57 am

I agree

I am not prone to anxiety - but this certainly causes it. And not unreasonably.

What I think you can be certain of is that anxiety feeds this and makes the symptoms worse.
Rich
Rich Longer

Postby Arron on June 12th, 2003, 11:35 am

Oh for sure... anxiety definately feeds this stuff, but I really don't think it "causes" it. I wish it were that simple...
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management