I don't have BFS anymore

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I don't have BFS anymore

Postby TimJA on April 1st, 2003, 1:48 pm

My fasiculations are completely gone since I posted last. This is what I've been doing:

Switched from coffee to green tea.
Take 400 iu of Vitamin E in morning, 400 at night.
Take calcium/magnisium/copper supplment in divided doses, morning and night.
Take B complex vitamin in divided doses, morning and night.

Perhaps it would have gone away on it's own, who knows. Just wanted to pass along my experience. I like the idea of divided doses to keep the system saturated at all times.

Peace,
Tim
TimJA
Interested
Interested

symtom management

Postby fastpage on April 1st, 2003, 3:17 pm

It's worth a try. I'm curious. How long after you went on this regimen did the fasics go away? How long did you have them to begin with? Was it gradual improvement or did you just kind of wake up one day without twitching? How much coffee did you drink before switching? How much green tea now? Any other meds or routines besides the supplements? Thanks.
fastpage

Postby TimJA on April 1st, 2003, 3:51 pm

I was drinking way too much coffee...maybe 6 cups a day. I'm down to about 2 or 3 cups of green tea.

I had fasciculations for about 2 or 3 months prior to taking the supplements. After about 3 weeks on the supplements my twitches are pretty much gone.

I also think that sun may be a factor. Sun screen blocks vitamin D synthesis, which helps us use calcium. I've been trying to get some sun whenever possible. Experts say 10 minutes a day on the face and arms is enough to produce vitamin D.

Good luck!
TimJA
Interested
Interested

Postby Davidd on April 2nd, 2003, 9:32 pm

Wow! Between you and Katie here I think we are on a role with people getting over these twitches. Congrats on being rid of these things and thanks for sharing the regimen that you are on. One question, though. Green tea has a substantial amt of caffeine in it and I am wondering if the caffeine in the tea has the same effect as coffee for you? I stopped just about all caffeine about 6 months ago and only drink de-caf tea or coffee now.

Thanks.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on April 3rd, 2003, 3:11 am

i never drink coffee, really, and have found it that it makes my bfs a lot worse. green tea has never been a problem, though, except for the time when i drank around 2 litres in 1 hour without thinking. that was a little much.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

green tea vs. coffee

Postby TimJA on April 21st, 2003, 3:54 pm

Green tea has about half the caffeine in it that coffee does, but I *suspect* that coffee has a lot of psychoactive ingredients in it besides caffeine. Don't know if this is scientifically valid, but just based on antecdotal info. My wife is apparently addicted to decaf, for example. How can you be addicted to something that doesn't have any drugs in it?

My twitches are still way down. I shared a few bottles of wine at a family reunion a week ago and had a few twitches the day after.

I still have a few a day, but they are far enough apart that they almost feel "cool" rather than disturbing.

Best luck to all!

Tim
TimJA
Interested
Interested

Postby osbormd on April 21st, 2003, 8:32 pm

Tim,
Are those all of the supplements you are taking, or are you also taking a multivitamin or anything else?

Just curious.

Thanks
Mike
osbormd

Postby tlotoxl on April 22nd, 2003, 12:37 am

green tea is quite different from coffee. i can't even drink coffee it makes me so nervous and shakey, but i can drink a lot of green tea before it has the same sort of effect on me. 2 litres will make me anxious, perhaps, but that's a lot of green tea! oolong tea is pretty good, too.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on April 22nd, 2003, 9:18 am

Yeah I remeber that in Organic Chemistry in college we studied the compound of caffeine, and it's different in tea and in coffee. The French even have two words for it : caffeine and theine. I don't remember why they are different or what their properties are versus one another, but it would be interesting to look into!
Peace, Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby TimJA on April 22nd, 2003, 11:46 am

I am taking supplements. Most multivitamins don't contain enough of each individual vitamin/mineral.

The data about green tea just keep getting better and better. Green tea may fight cancer and heart disease. There is new evidence that tea also boosts interferon activity, thus fighting infection.

http://www.sunspot.net/news/health/bal- ... -headlines
TimJA
Interested
Interested

Hi

Postby reneeintx on April 22nd, 2003, 5:04 pm

Tim,

Sometimes I think my twitching is gone. It'll be almost gone for a couple of days then... WHAM...they are here again. Not bad though.

I'm happy that yours have subsided. At least we all know they can dissappear..forever.

This sounds kind of stupid but on this forum I think it's appropriate..Congratulations on your non existing twitching!!!

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby osbormd on April 22nd, 2003, 5:18 pm

Is the decaffenated lipton green tea junk? Does anyone know which brands are supposed to be the best?
osbormd

green tea to buy

Postby TimJA on April 23rd, 2003, 9:25 pm

We get an organic brand in bags, in bulk from our food co-op. It's not too expensive, esp. when compared to coffee.

The fact that a known side effect of many pesticides is fasiculations makes me believe that it's wise to minimize consumption of them.

I'm also interested in sunlight, vitamin D, and calcium consumption. The body synthesizes most of the vitamin D it uses through exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D in turn helps the body utilize calcium. Calcium deficit is known to result in, you guessed it, fasciculations.

How many people out there are in warm weather climes versus cold?
I live in New England myself.

Sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis, BTW. You should always start out in the sun with no screen on for 5 or 10 minutes, then put it on. That should be enough sunlight to produce ample supplies of vitamin D.
TimJA
Interested
Interested

Postby Jenn311 on April 23rd, 2003, 11:44 pm

wow Tim...
Lots of great info there! thanks! I'm going to go take some vitamins :wink:
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy Georgy on May 9th, 2003, 8:18 am

osbormd wrote:Is the decaffenated lipton green tea junk? Does anyone know which brands are supposed to be the best?

I drink Tazo Zen green tea and it's the best I've had so far....It is also rated at the top according to Consumer Reports...
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management