Very scared...plz give your thoughts

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby uber on May 3rd, 2003, 3:22 pm

ok jen other things that are worrying me...i noticed over the past few weeks I have ringing in my ears too and also the feeling of cold water running down my legs, looked up on the net and things were saying MS again.....my Neuro appointment isnt until end of June...and im so scared :(
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 3rd, 2003, 5:17 pm

OK Uber...

You are just psyching yourself into thinking you have something bad. I am no doctor...but it really sounds to me like you are so consious of your body right now that you are just waiting to pick up on something unusual that you would otherwise not have noticed. I have never had the thing with the cold water sensation...but I am willing to bet that it's another parasthesia that is related to your health anxieties.
As for ringing in the ear...a lot of people get that from time to time and it's pretty normal. I get that all the time...it comes and goes. I read recently that it is a sign of inner ear troubles, esp if you are prone to dizziness or vertigo. I seriously doubt that you have MS either, though I am no doctor. I think people that go blind all of a sudden or that suddenly loose control of a limb or such for a few days have a reason to worry. I know how you feel though...I have dealt with the same problem with anxiety for years. Even if you go to the doctor, and he says you are fine...you still wonder.."what's wrong with me?"
I was talking to a good friend of mine lately and she was commenting on what good health my dad is in, although he is almost 80. And he is the type of person that, even if he is sick, he just thinks he is healthy and therefor he has psyched himself into good health. My point being, the healthier you think you are, the healthier you are! The body and mind are so closely related...I used to work in the mental health industry and you wouldn't believe some of the people I dealt with. People who had suffered from severe depression and anxiety disorders suffered from a host of just bizarre health ailments. I reallly think it was because of their poor states of mind...it had a profound effect on their physical states. So here is my advice for you: Eat right. Get a good nights sleep. Cut out caffiene and other non-necessary drugs. Go out and get just 30 minutes of brisk exercise a day. DON'T think about your health problems. In fact, tell yourself that you are fine. See if you can do it. It takes a lot of psyching yourself up, and that is where places like this forum really help people like you (and me...) Cut out as much stress from your life as you can. Then let me know how you feel.

Take care, Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby reneeintx on May 3rd, 2003, 10:47 pm

uber & Jen,

My grandpap never let health things bother him either. He was never sick..at least he never told anyone his ailments. My grandpap is now 93 and still going strong taking care of my alzheimers stricken grandma(God bless his and her soul)

Believing you have a terrible disease sure makes the body react to the situation. I can't count the number of times I read something about an illness then started having symtoms.

Take care both of you.

Uber, you hang in there.

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby fastpage on May 5th, 2003, 9:17 am

Uber, Renee and Jen:
I agree with your assesment of the importance of attitude. Uber, I have had ringing in my ears-quite loud and distinct-for over 5 years. I may have hearing problems one of these days (I have never had it checked out) but it surely is not MS or something else of that nature. Many, many people have this symptom. I suspect much of it is ear damage. I played in a Rock band for years, for example, standing in front of some very large speakers and amps. I was also an avid hunter and shot guns all the time without ear plugs. Could be many things-most of which are not life-threatening. I also have floaters all over the place-no big deal. My favorite quote lately is Oliver Wendell Holmes "If you mean to keep as well as possible, the less you think about your health the better." Easier said than done but sage advice I am discovering.
fastpage

Postby uber on May 5th, 2003, 11:46 am

OVer the past few days noticing that at time my head starts to shake, it feels like its coming from my neck, and it usually only happens when I hold my neck in the same position for a few seconds...once again its got me worried about parkinsons, there is no muscle weakness in the neck (yet) but the shaking is enough to scare me...whats happening to me Jen?
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 5th, 2003, 2:07 pm

Hey Uber...

Did you know that anxiety causes trembling or shaking? I doubt Parkinson's in going to start in your neck...you are just so tense over your health that it is affecting your muscles. Plus Parkinson's is only noticable in muscles that are at rest. A lot of us here have muscle trembling, me included, when we use our muscles. But I have found that if I am truly relaxed and rested, I don't suffer much from that affliction. Uber, I really think you are getting yourself worked up over nothing. I think you are just overly anxious.
You know what happened to me on Friday and Saturday? I was dropping stuff like crazy! I was starting to freak out, telling myself that surely it is becuase my muscles in my hand were giving out on me, but lo and behold all day Sunday and so far today, I haven't dropped anything. So you see, we all get freaked out about stuff, it's not only you. Maybe you should call your neuro and see if you can get in sooner...tell them that you can't sleep due to the anxiety and feel like you are loosing your mind. I bet they will see you a lot sooner!
Hang in there...I am sure you'll be fine.
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby tlotoxl on May 6th, 2003, 1:42 am

uber -- i think that head/neck shaking is one of the most common symptoms of essential tremor and is almost never present in parkinson's.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on May 6th, 2003, 4:05 am

is esential tremor part of BFS??

you know when I look up all my symptoms on the web, the disease that seems to display most of my symptoms is something called Lyme Disease, but I dont think ive been anywhere where I could of been bitten by something to give me it.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 6th, 2003, 6:54 am

Uber,
Don't quote me on this, but with Lyme Disease I think the twitching is localized, or in one area. But if it makes you feel better, call up your doctor and get tested for it. There are some people that have written to this forum about Lyme, so if you do a search on this site you are sure to turn up something.
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby tlotoxl on May 6th, 2003, 11:13 am

uber -

no, i don't think that essential tremor is a part of BFS, but there's no particular reason why you couldn't have both, either, and even if the essential tremor is very minimal, i think it would likely be activated/magnified by your stress over the BFS.

of course you may not have essential tremor -- it may be purely anxiety related or it may just disappear in time on its own. the body is weird, and these things happen. but whatever the case, it really doesn't sound like parkinson's to me.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on May 6th, 2003, 12:48 pm

so what neuro disease do the symptoms of essential tremor and BFS co-exsit in?? MS or ALS?? what else could it be?
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 6th, 2003, 1:16 pm

Lots of people with BFS have tremors as part of this whole BFS mess. Essential tremors are benign as well.
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby izzie on May 6th, 2003, 1:21 pm

Hi Uber,
I think Jenn and the others are right, your anxiety may be making your symptoms worse, or making you more aware of them or it may even be the cause of some of the symptoms such as the tremor. Essential tremor is a benign condition like BFS. I know it is difficult to believe it sometimes, when the symptoms are bad. I am having a lot of twitching and spasm today and it is taking alot of mental effort to stay calm but I know I have to.
Perhaps if you see the neurologist sooner it should put yout mind to rest
good luck
Izzie
izzie
izzie
Interested
Interested

Postby Craig on May 16th, 2003, 2:38 pm

Uber - I was also diagnosed with Essential Tremor and I believe it is fairly common with BFS.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Symptom Management